Whitney Houston 22m

Mariah Carey 21m

Shania Twain 14m

Celine Dion 12m

___

Janet Jackson 5m

Toni Braxton 4m

:deadbanana4: they on par with brandy and Monica sis :deadbanana4:

Janet did not “fall off.” White America torpedoed her commercial viability by blacklisting her 

Toni and Janet are doing exceptionally well. Their music continues to live on through generations in the Black community, where they have always shined the most. 

Toni doesnt even have nowhere as many hits as Janet. That's not even necessarily bad for her

Toni is an r&b act first and foremost, so it makes sense to be on par with Brandy and Monica. She has 3 essential global pop hits : Un-Break My Heart, He Wasn't Man Enough and Breathe Again, the latter being a little too old for the streaming generation. 4M monthly listeners is great for her

Janet has been discussed many times so I won't touch on it.

Toni had huge labels issues + Lyme Disease

Janet fought against patriarchy, sexism and racism + ended up being sabotaged by the industry after the SB

Edited by Totami Legend

The Superbowl really did hurt Janet, obviously.

Toni was never THAT big and has always been on par with Monica and Brandy.

@Pristine How many does Kylie have? I would expect her to have lower numbers considering the fact that she has fewer stateside hits than either Toni or Janet, though she could have around the same since I think Disco did quite well for an older act on streaming.

7 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

Toni is literally a one hit wonder

She literally is not

3 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

Janets disco is forgagaten

britney-twirling.gif

she had multiple top 10 hits / top 5 albums with her first 3 eras alone. She was huge.

14 minutes ago, ithinkheknowsoutsold said:

@Pristine How many does Kylie have? I would expect her to have lower numbers considering the fact that she has fewer stateside hits than either Toni or Janet, though she could have around the same since I think Disco did quite well for an older act on streaming.

Kylie  7m

Sheryl Crow 6m

and these acts with no collabs. It not like Xtina where she has 22m but maybe 4m solo

52 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

Janet did not “fall off.” White America torpedoed her commercial viability by blacklisting her 

51 minutes ago, Dr. Alexander said:

Toni and Janet are doing exceptionally well. Their music continues to live on through generations in the Black community, where they have always shined the most. 

38 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Toni is an r&b act first and foremost, so it makes sense to be on par with Brandy and Monica. She has 3 essential global pop hits : Un-Break My Heart, He Wasn't Man Enough and Breathe Again, the latter being a little too old for the streaming generation. 4M monthly listeners is great for her

Janet has been discussed many times so I won't touch on it.

:cm:

/endthread

I did expect higher numbers for both of them but Janet's situation has been explained over and over again.

Toni's career went downhill after her third album thanks to label issues and bad decisions (signing with Blackground) but her health issues were the main factor.

Janet's is self explanatory, it's hard to have a lot of listeners when she was blacklisted almost everywhere for a decade and she herself has barely been doing anything too for years now.

49 minutes ago, TanjiroKamado said:

A one hit wonder with 3 #1 songs in the U.S and 8 Top Ten Hits overall? Not to mention two albums with sales of 10M+ WW? 

Go back to whatever crevice you crawled out of. Genuinely. 

Edited by GoodGuyGoneGhetto

Janet’s career was derailed by the Super Bowl so the fact she even has these many listeners is amazing. 

But also she has the least playlist reach among her contemporaries so that plays a part. 

Whitney: 272M

Mariah: 186M

Madonna: 172M

Celine: 92M

Kylie: 92M

Janet: 62M

Toni also suffers has a low playlist reach at only 42M. 

14 minutes ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

A one hit wonder with 3 #1 songs in the U.S and 8 Top Ten Hits overall? Not to mention two albums with sales of 10M+ WW? 

These stats literally mean nothing when the public cant name a song that isnt Unbreak my heart :zzz:

both deserved better. Toni is such a prime example how a label can make inviable one to have a career even though you're a major act in that said label. also her high risk pregnancy on the imminent release of more than a woman/also her Lyme disease made her to 'give up' the mainstream success. sad because more than a woman was the perfect follow up to a diva and she was probably the one that would make it to the 00's along with Ashanti/Ciara in the R&B scene.

Janet, well, we have discussed a lot about it here.

the whole streaming sth is that they don't get playlisted like they should.

this having 150M on YouTube and being such a minor hit in her career while her bigger songs have less views than it explains what playlist/suggestions and next to watch (on YouTube) can do wonders for catalogues.

1 hour ago, TanjiroKamado said:

These stats literally mean nothing when the public cant name a song that isnt Unbreak my heart :zzz:

he wasnt man enough

Janet simply doesn't care about these things i'm afraid.

Edited by robbyds

Glad many people didn't fall for the obvious bait.

Comparing Toni to those decade-rigning pop stars makes no sense.

Janet has been explained over and over.

16 hours ago, GoodGuyGoneGhetto said:

17 hours ago, JustHoran said:

Toni was never THAT big

This is such a LIE. She was MASSIVE during her peak. 

17 hours ago, JustHoran said:

always been on par with Monica and Brandy.

Yes who were all extremely successful & had a MASSIVE career. 

Just because they weren’t on Whitney, Janet & Mariah level doesn’t mean they weren’t MASSIVE. 

You sound ridiculous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.