Biggest peak of the century: 21 or The Fame+Monster?

KillingYourCareer

143 members have voted

1. 1. .

• 21 by Adele
    • The Fame+Monster by Lady Gaga

Hello ATRL, I'm writing you a letter.

Today, one of my nephews asked me a question about the times when they weren't alive yet. The question in question was: what was the biggest music era of the new century, considering everything from revenue to cultural impact? In the moment, I could only think of two eras: 21 by Adele (2011-2) and The Fame+Monster by Lady Gaga (2008-10). Two humongous eras that set the mood of their time. It's hard for small children to grasp the concept of a global superstar nowadays, so they were gobsmacked by what I was telling them about these two eras.

But the question remains: which one was the biggest? To use youthful slang, which one is the GOAT? Help me decide, ATRL!

Sincerely,

83-834990_random-signature-png.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hot Volcano

• Henry Torres

• unclefloprry

• GraceRandolph

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Borchetta

Anyone who isn’t a gay man on ATRL will tell you it’s 21 despite having to compete against 2 albums combined 

Gaga was a way bigger cultural figure during her peak, meeting with the president to discuss LGBT rights, being discussed in the art world, fashion world, music world, and even being somewhat of a political figure, as well as churning out classics left and right in iconic outfits.

Adele but both good albums 

TFM was definitely epic but 21 was like a phenomenon. It seemed like everyone from all demographics were into that album!

• ATRL Moderator

TFM had a bigger peak and influence at that peak, but 21 had more longevity overall.  

21. I mean Rolling in the Deep, Someone Like You and Set Fire the the Rain are still going strong in streaming. And 30 million albums sold in pure sales... So yeah.

what is this troll thread :monkey:

TFM may someway feel bigger because Gaga's celebrity status was through the roof on top of having several hits, numbers wise 21 clears, a 30 million selling album with 3 humongous 3 singles and HUGE streaming numbers.

I can'ttttttttttttt :bibliahh: Someone stop Gaga stans :bibliahh: TFM isn't even close to being the biggest peak of the century :bibliahh::bibliahh::bibliahh:

Edited by Henry Torres

Ofc Gaga made more headlines, always has. But it's two different things, music Vs image. 21 is getting more streams than Born This Way daily as well, in spite of Bloody Mary blowing up so hard.

TFM sweetie..

Gaga's album sales + hit after hit after hit after hit + her being the most talked about celebrity on planet earth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

21. Everyone from ALL demographics (not just gays and teenagers) bought that album and loved her. She was probably the biggest artist with the most positive feedback. Everyone was rooting for her.

Which explained how 25 sold over 3M first week in the US alone. That was a cultural phenomenon

21. Everyone owned that album.

People were really polarized by Gaga. Some loved her (gays) and others didn’t get her (everyone else)

People in here acting like gays alone bought those TFM copies, Monster Ball tickets, etc then have the nerve to scream "liddos live in a bubble!!!" :rip:

the setup :rip:

one of them had 3 global smashes and is the biggest selling album of the 21st century  

9 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

People in here acting like gays alone bought those TFM copies, Monster Ball tickets, etc then have the nerve to scream "liddos live in a bubble!!!" :rip:

Apparently gays don’t count as people? :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.