Variety's Anonymous Grammy voters' ballots, thoughts?

storminthedark

VOTER 1 A music manager who has been a Grammy voter for 15-plus years 

Record of the year: I picked Steve Lacy's 'Bad Habit' for both record and song. It's pop music that doesn't sound like any other pop music—not like records where you could replace the vocal and it sounds the same. I love ABBA, but I did not love this record. The Harry Styles record was really good. There are certain artists, like Brandi Carlile, that are very good for the Grammys, so I understand why she's there, but that record didn't do much for me. I like but don't love that Beyonce song, 'Break My Soul'; I like 'Cuff It' better. I think there's a really good chance Beyonce wins one or all the big categories. Beyonce will win this, or maybe Adele could; 'Easy on Me' is cool, but it's not 'Rolling in the Deep.' 

Album of the year: Kendrick. He's so big, but that record doesn't sound like he was looking at anybody else's record. Bad Bunny was by far the most commercially successful album of the year, but I think a lot of people have no idea who Bad Bunny is, just like when Despacito was the biggest song of the year and didn't win. The Coldplay record is an atrocity. I don't know who that record is for — I don't think 12-year-olds want to hear Chris Martin, and I definitely don't think Coldplay fans want to hear BTS and Selena Gomez.

Best new artist: Some of them I didn't know, which I think is probably true of a lot of people. I voted for Wet Leg because I love how singular it is. I think they could win. Every part of the industry is its own bubble, but in my circle, they have a lot of love. Maneskin feels very kitschy for the Grammys. Muni Long is awesome, but she's not a new artist in any way. Anitta is not new at all either. I love the Latto single 'Big Energy' — that could have been in the record of the year category — but I don't know if anyone really knows her beyond the song. 

VOTER 2 - A Grammy-winning producer-engineer who has been a voter for almost 20 years 

Record of the year: I felt very strongly that Lizzo has changed this culture a lot. 'About Damn Time' was a great track that everyone responded  to. I also look at who's been there and go, 'OK, Adele, Beyonce — they always win; it's the same people over and over again. So I went for Lizzo. I think Harry Styles' As It Was is an amazing, catchy song. I loved the Brandi Carlile track, but I didn't think it was record of the year. I also like the Steve Lacy track a lot, but what do I think ever one else is gonna vote for? Not those two. For the top categories, I think it has to be about more than just your taste. 'And the Grammy goes to should mean something other than 'I just liked that track'

Album of the year: "I think they're very much catering to the pop world. Brandi's album is maybe the only one that has real musicians. The credit list on the album is not 8,000 people — three people made that record, plus the band, and that's it. The pendulum is swinging. It was way deep into white man world, and it came back, and now it's way into 'We must appease the TikTok generation, or the kids won't understand why we're having this award show. But they don't even watch TV! If it's about what's the most streamed, and if you look at how many Latin people there are in the world, it doesn't surprise me at all that Bad Bunny would be in there. It's also a great record, but it brings me to: What do I think is excellent? I feel like Lizzo crosses this line between pop and excellence of craft.

Best new artist: was between Toby Nwigwe and Wet Leg but l don't see Toby as a new artist, and I saw Wet Leg as more of a sensational new thing, so I voted for that. Toby's been around and Maneskin's been around — how is that best new artist? Or is it just time for the Grammys to push them forward? Anitta is pretty out-standing, so maybe she's the one.

VOTER 3 - A 20-something producer, voting for the first time

Record of the year: 'As It Was' is the most culturally impactful and representative of what our generation consumes — a perfectly well-formed pop song. It was too omnipresent to not be record of the year. I do think the Grammys should represent more of what's current. I've never heard those ABBA or Mary J. Blige records; what are those doing here?

Album of the year: Harry's House! Did I personally listen to it a ton? No. Did it make itself known in every TikTok? Absolutely. Beyonce is a close second. Lizzo's project was great, but only had one massive song on it. I listened to Kendrick much more than the others, yet it didn't have a standout song and I don't feel it had the cultural impact that album of the year deserves.

Best new artist: This is the easiest answer. Omar Apollo. He stands for the LGBT community and for Latino people and makes the best music. Domi & JD Beck are amazingly talented but feel too niche. The truth is I don't know a lot of these other people.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HEATED

• vale9001

• Green

• Badgalbriel

Why do I feel like Brandi will AOTY :WAP:

Voter 2 needs to seek help idgaf

11 minutes ago, storminthedark said:

VOTER 2 - A Grammy-winning producer-engineer who has been a voter for almost 20 years 

Record of the year: I felt very strongly that Lizzo has changed this culture a lot. 'About Damn Time' was a great track that everyone responded  to. I also look at who's been there and go, 'OK, Adele, Beyonce — they always win; it's the same people over and over again. So I went for Lizzo. I think Harry Styles' As It Was is an amazing, catchy song. I loved the Brandi Carlile track, but I didn't think it was record of the year. I also like the Steve Lacy track a lot, but what do I think ever one else is gonna vote for? Not those two. For the top categories, I think it has to be about more than just your taste. 'And the Grammy goes to should mean something other than 'I just liked that track'

Album of the year: "I think they're very much catering to the pop world. Brandi's album is maybe the only one that has real musicians. The credit list on the album is not 8,000 people — three people made that record, plus the band, and that's it. The pendulum is swinging. It was way deep into white man world, and it came back, and now it's way into 'We must appease the TikTok generation, or the kids won't understand why we're having this award show. But they don't even watch TV! If it's about what's the most streamed, and if you look at how many Latin people there are in the world, it doesn't surprise me at all that Bad Bunny would be in there. It's also a great record, but it brings me to: What do I think is excellent? I feel like Lizzo crosses this line between pop and excellence of craft.

Best new artist: was between Toby Nwigwe and Wet Leg but l don't see Toby as a new artist, and I saw Wet Leg as more of a sensational new thing, so I voted for that. Toby's been around and Maneskin's been around — how is that best new artist? Or is it just time for the Grammys to push them forward? Anitta is pretty out-standing, so maybe she's the one.

This Beyonde shade :rip: :ahh:

Phew these are some CHOICES... like that's really all you can say about this. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

This Beyonde shade :rip: :ahh:

It's not just to Beyoncé. Mary and Kendrick have the same amount of contributors credited to their albums as her, as well, and Lizzo is not so far off.

These assessments have all the adept perception and savoir-faire of a group of 10-year olds on the playground debating which Skittles flavor is the best.

and y’all wonder why they only award trash :redface:

"i voted for an album i barely even listen to bc i heard it on tiktok" brainless just brainless 

1 minute ago, Rhythm said:

It's not just to Beyoncé. Mary and Kendrick have the same amount of contributors credited to their albums as her, as well, and Lizzo is not so far off.

These assessments have all the adept perception and savoir-faire of a group of 10-year olds on the playground debating which Skittles flavor is the best.

:clap3:

holy moly

wow they all have horrible taste and need to be kicked out of the academy asap :jonny5:

voter #2 really said latinxs are a plague :rip:

That comparison between despacito and Bad bunny. Tragic.

Thanks God the secret commitee just give the awards to the ones they want :ninja:

Edited by vale9001

The racist undertones :deadbanana4: And some really expect these people to give Beyoncé AOTY

Edited by suneclipse121

this is why the grammys need a committee. just because you work in the music industry doesnt mean you have taste 

41 minutes ago, lovedaddy said:

Voter 3 serving ATRLer

I swear I was thinking this as I was reading that section :dies:

52 minutes ago, storminthedark said:

I've never heard those ABBA or Mary J. Blige records; what are those doing here?

ugh

TRASH across the board. Wow. 

On the one hand, it's just three random voters. But it's shocking to see how detached they seem to be and worries that it could be reflective of the committee at large.

'Adele and Beyonce always win". Adele maybe, but Bey?

Also, in what way has Lizzo's MUSIC "changed culture""

Delusional. 

Edited by Cbreezy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.