Is Taylor sincere with her inclusivity protocol or is it just her business agenda?

KatyPrismSpirit

As we all know, Taylor started becoming more diverse with representation in her music videos starting in the Lover era. In the You Need To Calm Down video she paid homage to drag queens and had queer back up dancers and roles all throughout the video. 

With the music video for Lover she had a black man play her love interest, the first time a person of color played Taylor's love interest in a music video. 

With the music video for Willow she had a Asian American man play her love interest.

With the music video for Lavender Haze she has a transgender man play her love interest, being one of the very few trans representations in modern pop videos. 

In conclusion, over the last few era's, and especially the music videos, Taylor has pledged to have more representation in her videos from underrepresented groups. Do you believe this is sincere from Taylor's behalf or does she feel the urge to do this because of societal pressures and sustaining a good reputation.

This thread is not meant to cause slander or anything in that direction. Im just curious in what you believe. 

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• byzantium

• MissedTheTrain

• KatyPrismSpirit

• RihFenty20

19 minutes ago, Nano said:

What do you think?

I think it comes across as slightly disingenuous but it is very nice to see her hand these people amazing opportunities. I only wonder if she made the decision with the intend of improving her own image or not. The latter part can be applied to many pop stars. Taylor is one example

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit

It's not like she makes a huge thing about it. Seems pretty genuine to me.

Ngl this feels kind of gross to speculate about 

It's genuine. She's damned if she do, but damned if she don't with some of you.

It's not like she's making a spectacle patting herself on the back for being inclusive. She's just being about it.

1 minute ago, Blue Monday said:

It's not like she makes a huge thing about it. Seems pretty genuine to me.

Ngl this feels kind of gross to speculate about 

why? I have a whole course about corporate inclusion & diversity and there are many businesses that are strategically utilizing underrepresented groups to improve their image. 

Regardless of her intentions she's still giving those people a huge platform so shouldn't we be happy about that instead?

Do you have any evidence that it is not genuine?  

Like she is hardly making a big deal about it and if you watched the music videos she has directed you would see that being subtle is not one of her strong suits.  

She’s a capitalist machine. Every move she makes is with the intent of increasing profit via the exploitation of her cult. Diversity and Inclusivity are in right now. Her business model just reflects that.

This doesn’t just apply to her. Take a look at every current major business model. Most usually have a statement championing for inclusivity. I doubt she (or anyone really) truly care about those issues. :lakitu:

4 minutes ago, RihFenty20 said:

She’s a capitalist machine. Every move she makes is with the intent of increasing profit via the exploitation of her cult. Diversity and Inclusivity are in right now. Her business model just reflects that.

This doesn’t just apply to her. Take a look at every current major business model. Most usually have a statement championing for inclusivity. I doubt she (or anyone really) truly care about those issues. :lakitu:

And you would know as a Rihanna fan.  

She isn’t making a big deal about it so I think she’s genuine. But regardless it’s positive for minorities even if she is only doing it to improve her image. 

4 minutes ago, RihFenty20 said:

Interesting take, RihFenty20 :bam:

Whether she cares or not is irrelevant. She probably does, but its always business with acts of her caliber. 

I dont get why people feel the need to get so defensive about this. Taylor is just one of many examples people. I personally think it is great to give underrepresented people a massive platform that would otherwise seem unreachable and that Taylor helps with shifting the perception and attitude towards underrepresented groups - but there is nothing wrong with also doubting what is in it for her and the reasoning behind why shes doing it.

In which commercially way including a trans man would help her? First she is in the top of everything and she doesn’t need it, second trans people are not only attack by right wing parties also for terfs, which most of them are lesbian which casually are one of the biggest demographic of Taylor…

And the guy from lover MV is her friend, she get for him a deal with republic records and he is going to be her opener for The Eras Tour 

I think her intentions are pure, which is good. I do, however, feel like she’s still trying to make up for her earlier years and it seems to be coming across a little forced and unnatural since Lover era. I mean, regardless, representation is always good and Taylor using her platform to showcase diversity in a positive light is a good thing. :bird:

Back in 2011, one of the protagonists of the music video for Mean was a gay man being bullied in a locker room for reading a fashion magazine, and then going on to be a successful designer. This seems to be forgotten as Taylor wasn’t as famous as she is now. 

Was she late when it comes to being vocal and speaking about the rights of minorities? Yes, and I say this as a stan. But I don’t think we should be undermining people for trying to grow and become more inclusive and educated. 

12 minutes ago, velocity said:

Hasn't she dated only white guys? Idk it feels weird and forced to me.

Is Taylor lautner white?

JohnWayneHolland

Taylor Swift? The same girl that's a self proclaimed feminist but continues to work with known abusers? You tell me :michael:

3 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

I think her intentions are pure, which is good. I do, however, feel like she’s still trying to make up for her earlier years and it seems to be coming across a little forced and unnatural since Lover era. I mean, regardless, representation is always good and Taylor using her platform to showcase diversity in a positive light is a good thing. :bird:

See, when even Brikenbur is defending Taylor, you know something’s up with the OP :deadbanana:

1 minute ago, byzantium said:

And you would know as a Rihanna fan.  

Of course I would. Rihanna was one of the first major champions of inclusivity. However, hers comes off as more genuine because she was ahead of the curve (as usual). Before she became a mogul, she faced many hardships in the music industry for being a black-immigrant. Many urban 00s icons always speak about how monumental it was that Rihanna, a black woman, was able to dominate pop radio because everyone else struggles to cross over. If you were truly the fan that you pretend to be, you’d know this. :lakitu:

16 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

why? I have a whole course about corporate inclusion & diversity and there are many businesses that are strategically utilizing underrepresented groups to improve their image. 

Because she's not out here patting herself on the back for doing any of these things. Lord knows I like to dunk on Taylor but I don't think this is one of those things that's fair to take a shot at her for. 

1 minute ago, ErnieSwift said:

But I don’t think we should be undermining people for trying to grow and become more inclusive and educated. 

Im definitely not. I was just wondering, would she have strategically planned this out or not because she knows it would garner praise, which ultimately benefits her too. I dont think the latter part is wrong but I would consider that a business strategy 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.