Spotify debuts new payola. Autoplay rigged to boost songs

FolkLover1989

3 minutes ago, Klein said:

Spotify seems sooooo messy. Glad I'm using AM. Like why tf does the app make you listen to songs you did not plan on listening? :rip:

If I want to discover new music, I simply use the discovery mix that is tailored to my taste. Does the same happen when you try listening to an album (or a playlist of any kind)? Do you have to manually click on the next song of the album each time? :rip:

Well, if you're listening to an album, for example, and it ends Spotify will help you continue listening to music without you needing to do something about it. What's so weird about this? They'll recommend things based on what you listen or based on whatever you were listening before. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popularmoonlight

• FolkLover1989

• Alex

• Bonicap

this has always happened 

i've never been a Demi constant listener and i remember that "I Love Me" was ALWAYS, ALWAYS, for WEEKS, my next song. and the same happened with friends, for the same Demi song! 

and yeah, someone here talked about Tate. This happened SO MUCH with her song "she's all i wanna be" too. but love her and i'm a listener so i don't mind it. 

This has always existed for me.

People are just freaking out because they probably changed the algorithm and the songs being recommended. 

Just now, popularmoonlight said:

Well, if you're listening to an album, for example, and it ends Spotify will help you continue listening to music without you needing to do something about it. What's so weird about this? They'll recommend things based on what you listen or based on whatever you were listening before. 

Oh ok I misunderstood then I thought it happened between each and every song. Like you click on the first song, and when it ends you get another random song and you have to manually start the second song of the album you wanted to listen to. If it starts something else at the end, I guess that's fine. 

two amazing palette cleansers getting 

well deserved payola :clap3:

Alright. I knew there had to be a reason for this sudden spikes and changes. Still doesn't explain why a song that was #8 on the Global chart lost +1M streams in a day, but it does explain the rest (Nonsense, Kill Bill and other gains).

Terrible feature by the way.

Edited by Bonicap

Just now, Klein said:

Oh ok I misunderstood then I thought it happened between each and every song. Like you click on the first song, and when it ends you get another random song and you have to manually start the second song of the album you wanted to listen to. If it starts something else at the end, I guess that's fine. 

no it's just at the end 

if u're listening to a playlist, they will play the whole playlist before they auto-recommend u a song

if u're listening to an album, the same. 

but if u're listening to a single (for ex miley's new one) without it being on a playlist, u'll get a recommended song from spotify. it's pretty "ok" but sometimes it's constantly the same song for weeks,  this payola always existed tho 

44 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I wondered why Cuff It just randomly dipped tens of thousands on a Wed/Thu, when it hasn't over the last 5 months. :deadbanana2:

Tiktok magic is fading I guess

49 minutes ago, unclefloprry said:

But that always existed. That's why Tate McRae has a 1B song.

You Broke Me First is a massive smash :toofunny3:

People saying this always has been like this clearly don't follow Spotify charts. These last two days there have been things that never happened before, so something has changed in the algorithm, whether is this or another thing. It's not an attack to anybody, it's a fact if you see the numbers.

44 minutes ago, Richmond said:

Disgusting! I'm so glad I use Apple MUSIC, the premium service that cares about integrity, gives you genuine recommendations based on your personal tastes, and cares about audio quality standards :alexz:

That part

51 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Untill I found you decreased by 1.4m

Wait really? :psyduck:

7 minutes ago, Selegend said:

no it's just at the end 

if u're listening to a playlist, they will play the whole playlist before they auto-recommend u a song

if u're listening to an album, the same. 

but if u're listening to a single (for ex miley's new one) without it being on a playlist, u'll get a recommended song from spotify. it's pretty "ok" but sometimes it's constantly the same song for weeks,  this payola always existed tho 

Yup, and if the song is not what you like, you can simply click in a 'X' button and it stops suggesting it to you 

Guys I don't even know what you're talking about :rip: I have my own playlists and when I'm in random mood I just look for a specific public playlist or got to a certain artist radio to listen to similar stuff. 

I don't know why y'all getting random songs. 

2 minutes ago, Kakihara said:

Guys I don't even know what you're talking about :rip: I have my own playlists and when I'm in random mood I just look for a specific public playlist or got to a certain artist radio to listen to similar stuff. 

I don't know why y'all getting random songs. 

Maybe your 'Autoplay' function is disabled 

How to Turn Autoplay On/Off on Spotify - All Things How

Autoplay has been a feature on Spotify since forever :rip:

Like streams on Spotify are ALWAYS boosted by the algorithm

The good thing is that I have this option deactivated. 

7 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

People saying this always has been like this clearly don't follow Spotify charts. These last two days there have been things that never happened before, so something has changed in the algorithm, whether is this or another thing. It's not an attack to anybody, it's a fact if you see the numbers.

It just means that the "algorithm change" did not favor some certain songs anymore, doesn't mean that algorithm did not exist.

Like why would a song suddenly lost 1M streams if people organically listened to it? It's just more of a concrete proof that the song was boosted by the previous algorithm :rip:

I just looked at the charts.

I think what OP is saying is that the autoplay has became more aggressive (in favor of certain songs) in the last few days to the point it's making drastic changes on the Spotify chart.

Edited by ddddynamite

22 minutes ago, Klein said:

Spotify seems sooooo messy. Glad I'm using AM. Like why tf does the app make you listen to songs you did not plan on listening? :rip:

And the way they've been pushing podcasts down their users throats the last two years :rip:

Shoving podcasts in your CarPlay Home Screen when you're just trying to find some music, a driving hazard! 

For example, yesterday in Spain Shakira's song did crazy numbers. Well, this was the song that came right after "randomly" to most people. Autoplay existed before, but we never saw this kind of random spikes, so if this is not chart manipulation you tell me. Sometimes it'll benefit a certain artist and other times another one, so I predict we will have tears and complains going in different directions in the future.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, popularmoonlight said:

Maybe your 'Autoplay' function is disabled 

How to Turn Autoplay On/Off on Spotify - All Things How

Okay, it was enabled but what was happening was I have repeat on, for when my playlists end. So I disabled it and tried playing Flowers again and when it ended Ariana's My way came on, I tried again and I got Ava Max's kings and queens. Lastly some other Ariana song from My everything. Nothing out of the ordinary for me tbh. 

But I'll stick to my repeat on feature regardless, I never dealt with unwanted suggestions before, I never really had a problem. 

56 minutes ago, RihFenty20 said:

This isn’t anything new. I have certain people blocked on Spotify because of auto-play fraud. :lakitu:

How can you block an artist on Spotify? I cannot do that and I need it. 

I have autoplay deactivated. I ALWAYS choose what I'm listening to in first person. :matty:

highly doubt these artists are paying for payola but i notice certain songs by artists i don't really listen to are on "heavy rotation" on Autoplay.

like whenever i listen to a female artist, like Lana or Lorde for example, Killer by FKA Twigs would 100% be played 2-3 songs later. i don't really use her music outside of LP1. the same thing for the song What If I Love You by Gatlin. who i've never listened to before but somehow always shows up. i had to block the artist. 

i assumed it's the algorithm being just being bad and lazy :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.