K-Pop Thread: 2023 Archive

Ryan

Apologies for double posting and quoting @elevate on accident too, but yeah I agree that it is weird to act like SNSD wasn't taking any risks whatsoever.

The singles they put out helped to define a visual and sonic aesthetic for the ENTIRE industry. Reducing that value to "cookie cutter" pop songs is the reason the whole "poptimism" argument is highly incredulous. If a flop nugu group put out those same songs at the same time a lot of people would argue that they were forward thinking. SNSD literally defined KPOP as a genre with their releases and that popularity led to the common belief that their releases were completely cookie cutter. Gee is quite literally a perfect pop song and I haven't heard any group recreate that style or aesthetic as successfully as SNSD. Even their off the shelf bought demos (like Genie) were highly enhanced with stacked harmonies and perfect vocal adlibs. It takes a lot more effort and talent to pull that off than people give credit for. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 132.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Save-Me-Oprah

• Pluto6

• Witnessed ET

• illia

Top Posters In This Topic

:redface:

• Like 1

Still not over how 4th gen main vocalist got done dirty I want to call the police 

Today is the last day for voting in R U Deaf? Because it’s D1? If you vote for Wonhee I hope you go to jail 

17 minutes ago, Century said:

SNSD's debut song is a subversive masterpiece that became the theme song of progressive movements for a decade. SNSD's second song ever released was a cover of a song that sounds nothing like idol music. Their global breakout hit(Gee) is one of the most musically progressive songs to ever come out of kpop with its insanely layered production that pulls influence from the r&b, pop, AND dance trends at the time to create something that sounded like it belonged to none of them. The reliance on nonsensical lyrics and percussive vocal delivery, while not as new as the completely out of left field production, became an enormous trend and key piece of kpop's success outside of Korea, Japan, and China, de-emphasizing the actual lyrics in favor of treating the idols like another instrument to layer into the song. Then we got Genie which was pretty safe and trend following but also the best k=pop song of all time imo so that's okay. Then on their first album they went so far into synth-pop that the samples on the TT sounded like they could have come from a GameBoy and they coupled it with a wild shift in image for the repack. They then followed that up with a very unique blend of guitars and blaring, siren-like synths in Hoot. 

Going to stop here because once they debuted in Japan the lid was fully off on noisy, experimental music and because this post is already really long but claiming SNSD wasn't extremely dialed in and experimental from day 1 is lunacy. If anything SNSD's inability to settle in on a single sound/image or release plain radio friendly pop directly paved the way for RV and aespa.

I'm a Sone myself so not saying SNSD released "bad music" per se but more than the fact that their music was a lot more GP-friendly than other SM groups which contributed a lot of their early success, not to mention the bubbly/girl-next-door image was perfect for that time. Like "Kissing You" was their first #1 hit and they literally held giant lollipops on stage :skull: 

• Like 1

I’m watching old variety shows and it’s kinda crazy how K-pop today seems almost worlds away from this

Edited by White Rabbit

4 minutes ago, Sept said:

I'm a Sone myself so not saying SNSD released "bad music" per se but more than the fact that their music was a lot more GP-friendly than other SM groups which contributed a lot of their early success, not to mention the bubbly/girl-next-door image was perfect for that time. Like "Kissing You" was their first #1 hit and they literally held giant lollipops on stage :skull: 

Their image was definitely very bland through most of their run but I very strongly feel that the music wasn't, it's the reason they still stand head and shoulders above other attempts to capture their magic by other companies. There's a reason K-Pop is listed as a separate genre anywhere music is sold or streamed and it's largely in part because of SNSD's very unique blend of sonic influences and the pervasive trends they set once they blew up on the global scene.

Kissing You and Baby Baby definitely don't fit in with the rest of their discography at all though in that regard, I still wonder what SM was thinking. :ahh:

Edited by Century
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, youresotoxic said:

That's all good news 

Baby Baby is the sound of thier first album and fits on the first album with songs like Merry-Go round and complete. Even kissing you sounds like Ohh La La. Very bubbly pop music cuz SM was targeting young girls to build thier fandom. They weren’t trying to reach 20 year olds with Into the New World or Baby Baby😆 SM wasn’t even expecting Gee to be a Massive smash. That’s why the early promotion were low budget af. They were expecting Suju & DBSK to be thier money maker, but Soshi mania happen and they became even bigger in Korea. That’s when SM went full on trying to make them as commercial as possible. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Baby Baby is the sound of thier first album and fits on the first album with songs like Merry-Go round and complete. Even kissing you sounds like Ohh La La. Very bubbly pop music cuz SM was targeting young girls to build thier fandom. They weren’t trying to reach 20 year olds with Into the New World or Baby Baby😆 SM wasn’t even expecting Gee to be a Massive smash. That’s why the early promotion were low budget af. They were expecting Suju & DBSK to be thier money maker, but Soshi mania happen and they became even bigger in Korea. That’s when SM went full on trying to make them as commercial as possible. 

I guess it comes down to what era do you define SNSD as being more known for: their rise in Korea or their rise globally. As somebody who isn't from Korea the SNSD I was first introduced to was extremely musically experimental and I think that fearless attitude towards music production is still evident in SMs groups today and is a result of the market-establishing success SNSD had. :gaygacat4:

Edited by Century
  • Like 2

Did we just go 10 years into the past or what. Why are we discussing SNSD musical direction :deadbanana4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pluto2022 said:

Sunny is nepotism done right idc :clap3:

You ain't never lied :coffee2:

1 hour ago, Sept said:

On a serious note, just very recently Sunny shared her feelings on Bubble

This is so awful to hear. I hope that even if she does not regain her love for singing and dancing, then she will feel at peace.

Edited by CandyCoatedClouds
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Century said:

I guess it comes down to what era do you define SNSD as being more known for: their rise in Korea or their rise globally. As somebody who isn't from Korea the SNSD I was first introduced to was extremely musically experimental and I think that fearless attitude towards music production is still evident in SMs groups today and is a result of the market-establishing success SNSD had. :gaygacat4:

Both🤭 Gee-Oh-Genie was ingrained into Korean pop culture. They were even in School textbooks by 2010. The closest comparison is like how Britney Spears was here in 2000.

but as far as Spreading the Hallyu Wave 2011 Japan album to thier 2013 IGAB era they were undisputed as Queens of Kpop internationally. Only 2NE1 and Kara come close. I say 2011 cuz they broke records in Japan and had their biggest Kpop comeback that year since Hoot. 

14 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

i miss when Wonder Girls got SM so shook and to the brink of giving up on soshi:jonny5:

and purposely pushing Gee all the way from Q3 2008 to Q1 2009. "Nobody" came for blood!

Edited by Asscatchem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Did we just go 10 years into the past or what. Why are we discussing SNSD musical direction :deadbanana4:

Mothers deserve some respect every once in a while😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gaia said:

imagine always talking in circles about only the latest groups. yawn

revisiting kpop history with a new lens >>>

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Both🤭 Gee-Oh-Genie was ingrained into Korean pop culture. They were even in School textbooks by 2010. The closest comparison is like how Britney Spears was here in 2000.

but as far as Spreading the Hallyu Wave 2011 Japan album to thier 2013 IGAB era they were undisputed as Queens of Kpop internationally. Only 2NE1 and Kara come close. I say 2011 cuz they broke records in Japan and had their biggest Kpop comeback that year since Hoot. 

I would mark Gee as the start of them being extremely musically progressive though. I was just saying as somebody who wasn't around pre-Gee my first experiences with SNSD were very mold-breaking and risky releases.

7 minutes ago, Gaia said:

This thread has always been a thinly veiled SNSD base thread. :cm:

• Like 1

has any group topped the PURE hype that was this teaser?

kpop was never the same since

this newjeans teaser dont hit the same in an era kpop is already established

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gaia said:

It’s better than the alternative sometimes :rip:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asscatchem said:

has any group topped the PURE hype that was this teaser?

kpop was never the same since

this newjeans teaser dont hit the same in an era kpop is already established

Add this to the mix and we have the trinity

Edited by White Rabbit
  • Like 4

Music talk is indeed refreshing for this thread :gaycat2:
Their best bside

• Like 1

this was peak KPOP CULTURE. put it side-by-side by any modern teaser and it wouldn't stand a chance. /boomer

• Like 1

No bc the hype everytime SNSD came back during gen 2 was actually on a completely different level. I remember entire pages going by in forum threads every time I would refresh the page.:ghostface:

• Like 1