Billboard Charts (May 28-June 3, 2017)

iHype.

Streaming is the best thing that happened for my generation...we ain't got money like that...times are rough out on these streets and all them bills

I much rather pay for streaming and be able to pay for concert tickets that be costing a whole weeks pay check...sorry not sorry

I for one think streaming is the most influential metric on the chart...give it more weight :angelo:

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoMythologies

• simmnfierzig

• slw84

• QueenofCopyPaste

4 minutes ago, Sinister said:

Streaming is the best thing that happened for my generation...we ain't got money like that...times are rough out on these streets and all them bills

I much rather pay for streaming and be able to pay for concert tickets that be costing a whole weeks pay check...sorry not sorry

I for one think streaming is the most influential metric on the chart...give it more weight :angelo:

All of this. :angelo:

6 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

I want the hot 100 to reflect popularity, not consumption,

i want the hot 100 to show how many (different) people heard played streamed a song. Currently it shows how many TIMES a person can push through in a week.

the former is much more indicative of true popularity,  one person listening to a song fifty times is no where near as popular as fifty people listening to a song one time each within the week.  49 more people should easily outweigh one person impact on the charts.

I'm so confused why you think people listening to the same song on loop is such a big problem. It's not. It's not happening. If you have a song on loop 24/7 for a full week that's still just 2500 plays if the song is 4 minutes long. And again for the 501st time that wouldn't count. The streaming service would detect that and not count those streams.

The Hot 100 would not or barely look different if we would count only 1 streams per song per person.

Edited by simmnfierzig

Furthermore...I think the Hot 100 has always reflected younger ppl since it was created

Its the younger crowd that has always made the song a hit and the artist big

Like what does the older crowd listen to???

What does your parents listen to???

They listen to music from when they were younget and the artist that were popular during their younger years (and their new stuff if they still release music)

older ppl get introduced to the new acts mainly due to young ppl...you really dont see a young act cater to the older crowd but you can always find an older act trying to cater to the younger crowd

That's how it's been and that's how it's always going to be

#LongLiveStreaming

P.S

You could mention Adele but I'm quite sure it was the young who got into her first :angelo:

I'm honestly surprised that Despacito is still #1. I thought it went down. A great song and one of the #1s with the most presence this decade. And does anyone else find it shocking that every song in the top 5 right now has already gone to #1?

I think in years to come, when all artists and genres have caught up and are on the same level playing field, streaming will be more fair. Even now with the digital age theres certain genres and age groups that havent even caught up with digital downloads. So streamings gonna take many years to be balanced and truly representative. But in this transitional period theres no question its heavily benefitting certain artists and genres(urban especially). They are enjoying a hugely flattering time on Billboard charts. Im not convinced its deserved or their appeal is that widespread.

And how long do you have to stream a song for it to count? Is there a period it has to play? Cause if not its easy to rack up fake plays. As Im sure theres other ways to boost the streams with playlists and such. So theres another corruption.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

What I don't understand is how people, especially the young people. Can afford the bandwidth costs to stream all this music, lol

The best plan I can get for data is 45 bucks a month for 5 gigs. Over five gigs is horrendously expensive.

all the kids listen and stream on their phones, no matter where they are. So it's clearly not all by wifi. How can they do that. North America in general is not cheap for data plans. Especially ehen listening to hours a day.

Spotify you can download music for offline, that's how I play all my music.

1 hour ago, ChartsFan said:

What I don't understand is how people, especially the young people. Can afford the bandwidth costs to stream all this music, lol

The best plan I can get for data is 45 bucks a month for 5 gigs. Over five gigs is horrendously expensive.

all the kids listen and stream on their phones, no matter where they are. So it's clearly not all by wifi. How can they do that. North America in general is not cheap for data plans. Especially ehen listening to hours a day.

Most people have wifi + saving offline. And my unlimited Sprint plan is only $60/mo. Then you have many that are in family unlimited plans and places like TMobile that offer music/video streaming for free.

5 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

So when you log back online does the count/plays get added to the official total plays? So I'd assume if so you'd need to log in to ms,e sure you counted towards weekly totals.

Im not a Spotify user so don't know how that works.

Wifi doesn't work when you are out and about. Coming going to school. Even at school.  Out in the evenings. Shopping.

if one pre downloads their Spotify music to listen, I hardly consider that stresming. You aren't really stresming then lol.

and yes some places do have respectable data deals, but my grand kids certainly don't have 60 bucks a month for data to stream songs if they could even get thwt kind of plus where they live.

There's wifi everywhere. At school, the mall, every store/shopping center has an open network, etc. No one needs to be constantly streaming day in and day out, everywhere they go. I'm sure people don't do that now and we're seeing streaming grow at tremendous rates, so. And if they are, they definitely have the means to do (as in an unlimited plan). I'm not sure what or if offline streaming counts for anything, but it's still streaming music.. and kind of one the major pulls of it.

I don't think Spotify dem are kids anyway.

Edited by Rico Shameless v2

8 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

but the hot 100 should be showing how many different people in America bought listened or streamed a song indicating it's popularity and market penetration. It's only been recently that that isn't so.

No. The Hot 100 has never been that. 

1 download or 1 physical single sales has always counted way more than 1 listen on the radio. And radio has always counted multiple listens from the same person

If you just say 1 download = 1 stream by an individual person = 1 radio listen by an individual person then downloads would be completely irrelevant, cause that numbers is just much smaller.

No idea how streaming vs airplay would look like as radio has never looked into individual listeners and I really don't know how they would do that. Even the numbers we have right now are just rough estimates. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:35 PM, Ivan_brit said:

Best Selling Singles 2017 relesases only (Pure Sales)

01 - 2,009,000 - SHAPE OF YOU - Ed Sheeran
02 - 1,005,000 - BODY LIKE A BACK ROAD - Sam Hunt
03 - 785,000 - SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay
04 - 733,000 - DESPACITO - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber
05 - 674,000 - ISSUES - Julia Michaels
06 - 612,000 - PARIS - The Chainsmokers
07 - 601,000 - BELIEVER - Imagine Dragons
08 - 573,000 - STAY - Zedd & Alessia Cara
09 - 564,000 - IT AIN'T ME - Kygo x Selena Gomez
10 - 549,000 - CHAINED TO THE RHYTHM - Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley
11 - 495,000 - HUMBLE. - Kendrick Lamar
12 - 478,000 - CASTLE ON THE HILL - Ed Sheeran
13 - 421,000 - COLD - Maroon 5 feat. Future
14 - 408,000 - I'M THE ONE - DJ Khaled feat. Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance The Rapper/Lil Wayne
15 - 397,000 - MASK OFF - Future
16 - 377,000 - SIGN OF THE TIMES - Harry Styles
17 - 304,000 - HEAVY - Linkin Park feat. Kiiara
18 - 251,000 - SLIDE - Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean & Migos
19 - 250,000 - SWALLA - Jason Derulo feat. Nicki Minaj & Ty Dolla $ign
20 - 248,000 - ROLEX - Ayo & Teo

Ed  saving the digital era! :clap3:

Delete this tragic list :skull:

Ugh. I can't at my discussion about lack of women on the charts got highjacked into another boring streaming debate. Streaming is the industry now! Get used to it!

Plus my initial point about the lack of women isn't just because of streaming. I mean, radio tends to be the most female-friendly and there's only 4 female fronted songs in the top 20 (2 of which are by Alessia Cara).

I don't know why some are so reluctant to admit streamings significance. I mean, for all the whining about hip hop on the charts, we also had our first country top 10 in years. A reggaeton song at #1. As others have pointed out, a lot is being represented on the charts right now and I agree with those who have said the charts have never been more accurate.

I just find it very strange that female fronted songs can't seem to catch on at all. And I find it even stranger that it's not considered more of an oddity to people. I maintain that if the charts were the other way around and it was 80% women, everybody would be talking about it nonstop like it was the craziest thing ever.

15 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

On AM you can download the music to listen to offline

24 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Country songs (as well as other genres not now seen) used to go number one semi regularly for decades,  having one make the top 10 for one week is nothing to declare stresming has saved diversity in the charts.

There have been 2 songs since 1984 that went #1 on both the country songs chart and the Hot 100. Taylor's We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together :rip: and Lonestar's Amazed.

Not exactly streamings fault 

33 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Country songs (as well as other genres not now seen) used to go number one semi regularly for decades,  having one make the top 10 for one week is nothing to declare stresming has saved diversity in the charts.

If you look at the charts throughout the years, there is very little country representation. Maybe more so in the '90's and such but country has always been a genre that's excelled more in album sales rather than big hit singles.

Like... what are these #1 country songs you're thinking of. Even smashes like How Will I Live and You Were Meant For Me and Need You Now didn't go #1. Shoot, the only country #1 hit I can think of off the top of my head would be something like Convoy. Does that count?

Edit: Forgot about Amazed. And I guess John Denver hit #1 a few times. Can't really think of many other songs that would be considered country that hit #1.

Edited by NoMythologies

I want to add... it's not streaming that ultimately makes Country difficult to chart, it's the fact that most country songs receive very little airplay outside their genre. Country songs usually really struggle to crossover and even when they do, it's very difficult for them to compete with the pop songs.

On 2017-6-2 at 6:58 PM, simmnfierzig said:

Predictions

7 XO Tour Lif3     302 (+2) 

10 Congratulations     235  (+3)

17 Redbone     170 (+5)  

19 Unforgettable     157 (+4)  

YEEEEEEEEEES :duca:

Edited by Drake Lindo

On 2017-6-2 at 6:58 PM, simmnfierzig said:

Predictions

22 Malibu     150  (-4)

24 Sign Of The Times     142  (-7)

43 Bad Liar       97  (-16)

48 Strip That Down       83  (-6)

57 Crying In The Club       70 (-10)  

74 Swish Swish       49  (-28)

76 Bon Appetit       48  (-9)

96 Chained To The Rhythm       36 (-10)  

:dies:

Edited by Drake Lindo

Anyway, back to my original point (because this streaming convo is so ****ing boring to me)... I definitely blame the lack of females on the charts on the label execs and the media. Publications like BB make it seem as though you can only stan for one female pop star at a time. It's always Katy vs. Taylor or Miley vs. Nicki or 5H vs. Camila. You can't love one without hating the other. And I'm not talking indifference. I'm talking hate. In all honesty, why should one love Taylor and hate Katy? Is their music really all that different? I can understand being indifferent to one or not really caring for the other. But we create these wars where it's one or the other and there is no in between. The media perpetuates it and we eat it the **** up. And I feel fairly certain that the execs even tell the artists to play into it thinking it will be good for their image. But it usually only ends up hurting their brand.

Just go ahead and google 5H or Camila Cabello right now. You'll find countless articles saying which one do you like best? They should want 5H fans to buy Camila's single and vice versa but all they've done is completely divide the fandom.

And just to prove how sexist our society really is, while these feuds usually hurt female artists in the long run, they tend to work in men's favor. Look at Drake and Meek or the 1D boys.

16 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

1. Streaming is 100x cheaper than buying all songs individually, I can tell you that.

2. Illegally downloading is still an option for a kid who doesn't have parents who will pay for streaming music.

2 hours ago, Tsuko said:

1. Streaming is 100x cheaper than buying all songs individually, I can tell you that.

2. Illegally downloading is still an option for a kid who doesn't have parents who will pay for streaming music.

Exactly. Many companies are offering cheaper data options these days (family plans, individual plans, etc.). For example, my girlfriend and I have an unlimited plan where I can basically add up to 3 more people for the same price. So imagine having a family under a plan like that, and they are under Apple Music or Spotify family membership, it would be relatively cheap or a tiny bit more money to accommodate the extra data use. 

And again, streaming is really cheap. At least in the US, there's wifi in a lot of places so younger people can and do take advantage of that. 

3 hours ago, NoMythologies said:

I want to add... it's not streaming that ultimately makes Country difficult to chart, it's the fact that most country songs receive very little airplay outside their genre. Country songs usually really struggle to crossover and even when they do, it's very difficult for them to compete with the pop songs.

based on mediabase, country songs in t50:

11, 15, 20, 24, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 42, 45, 46, 49 (28%)

country songs in spotify t100:

21, 87 (2%)

Edited by fridayteenage

17 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

So when you log back online does the count/plays get added to the official total plays? So I'd assume if so you'd need to log in to make sure you counted towards weekly totals.

i don't really see that as stresming though, see below.

Im not a Spotify user so don't know how that works.

Wifi doesn't work when you are out and about. Coming going to school. Even at school.  Out in the evenings. Shopping.

if one pre downloads their Spotify music to listen, I hardly consider that stresming. You aren't really stresming then lol.

and yes some places do have respectable data deals, but my grand kids certainly don't have 60 bucks a month for data to stream songs if they could even get thwt kind of plus where they live.

A lot of shopping venues have wifi, and so do a lot of schools. And, most of my main playlists I have downloaded on Spotify.

Also, according to this 5 gigabytes of data is enough to stream 2.5 hours of music per day for a month. https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-much-can-i-do-online-with-a-5-gigabyte-limit

And, I believe that if you stream something offline, then the next time you log onto Spotify's servers it counts. 

I don't get why you think it doesn't count as streaming if you downloaded the song onto you device? You didn't purchase it. You're listening to it through a streaming service. 

20 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

based on mediabase, country songs in t50:

11, 15, 20, 24, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 42, 45, 46, 49 (28%)

country songs in spotify t100:

21, 87 (2%)

they said outside their genre

4 hours ago, simmnfierzig said:

There have been 2 songs since 1984 that went #1 on both the country songs chart and the Hot 100. Taylor's We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together :rip: and Lonestar's Amazed.

Not exactly streamings fault 

You forgot Carrie's 'Inside Your Heaven' went #1 too, it didn't top country charts but was still a country single.