Matthew Perry wishes Keanu Reeves was dead instead of Phoenix and Ledger

McNulty

Matthew Perry Keanu Reeves

Matthew Perry’s upcoming memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing,” includes more than a handful of revelations, including Perry having to exit a movie after his heart stopped for five minutes, but perhaps the most shocking is a pair of seemingly out-of-nowhere digs Perry throws at fellow actor Keanu Reeves. At two points in the memoir, Perry questions why Reeves is still alive when “talented” actors and “original thinkers” like River Phoenix and Chris Farley had tragic deaths.

“The list of geniuses who were ahead of their time is too long to detail here — suffice to say, near the top of any such list should be my costar in ‘A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon,’ River Phoenix,” Perry writes.

Perry continues later on, “River was a beautiful man, inside and out — too beautiful for this world, it turned out. It always seems to be the really talented guys who go down. Why is it that the original thinkers like River Phoenix and Heath Ledger die, but Keanu Reeves still walks among us? River was a better actor than me; I was funnier. But I certainly held my own in our scenes — no small feat, when I look back decades later.”

Keanu Reeves is cited again when Perry writes about the death of comedian Chris Farley. “His disease had progressed faster than mine had. (Plus, I had a healthy fear of the word ‘heroin,’ a fear we did not share),” Perry writes. “I punched a hole through Jennifer Aniston’s dressing room wall when I found out. Keanu Reeves walks among us. I had to promote ‘Almost Heroes’ two weeks after he died; I found myself publicly discussing his death from drugs and alcohol. I was high the entire time.”

“Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing” is now available for pre-order and releases on Nov. 1. Other revelations in the book include Perry admitting that he’s spent approximately $9 million on his collective attempts to stay sober and Perry revealing he nearly died in 2018 because of opioid overuse.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/matthew-perry-slams-keanu-reeves-alive-heath-ledger-dead-1235415189/

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• Ombre

• Espresso

• dabunique

4 minutes ago, McNulty said:

River was a beautiful man, inside and out — too beautiful for this world, it turned out. It always seems to be the really talented guys who go down. Why is it that the original thinkers like River Phoenix and Heath Ledger die, but Keanu Reeves still walks among us? River was a better actor than me; I was funnier. But I certainly held my own in our scenes — no small feat, when I look back decades later.”

Holy ****. He could’ve said how come he didn’t die and I’m here I should’ve died. Wtf

Keanu seems super nice but he has zero talent. He does not deserve to die early because of that but I sort of understand why someone who is talented but miserable and has watched many other talented actors be miserable and die early would have this weird, uncalled for resentment towards Keanu. He's the "they" to his "we"

Out of all the untalented creeps and abusers in Hollywood why did he have to pick on Keanu, who’s one of a few decent guys in Hollywood? Keanu was also River’s best friend imagine how he’d feel reading this wtf

6 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Keanu seems super nice but he has zero talent. He does not deserve to die early because of that but I sort of understand why someone who is talented but miserable and has watched many other talented actors be miserable and die early would have this weird, uncalled for resentment towards Keanu. He's the "they" to his "we"

Oh please, the only think we wish to die is Perry's career. Oh wait, it is already dead a long time ago.

At least Keanu can deliver John Wick and have several iconic Johnny roles. He has more talents in his pinky than this fad of a sitcom. Who are his "we"?!? He's that delusional, hah?

Whether you like Keanu and his work or not, this is absolutely shameful to wish death upon him.

Matthew is not talented, good looking, or anything else like that. He somehow got lucky with Friends. Just go eat your food. 

I guess it's ok if he's just telling it like it was. It's understandable to a certain degree because of his grief at the time. But tbh this reads more like a subtle yet not so subtle diss towards present Keanu as well, which is really weird, unnecessary and a bit gross.

Edited by The Next Day

Celebrity being a full blown hater to other celebrity is so funny ngl

He's just like ATRLers for real

What a terrible thing to say. For all we know, Keanu might have had to overcome his own struggles. I remember there was a long period of several years where he wasn't acting, or working in Hollywood. 

19 minutes ago, Truth Teller said:

Keanu has done actual good in this world while Matthew is doing drugs and being miserable. At the end of the day, actors or not, that's what counts and Matthew is nothing but a miserable lonely loser who got lucky.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.