Will Taylor eventually pass Madonna?

45seconds

With Taylor Swift still somehow breaking records this far into her career, is it safe to assume she will eventually surpass Madonna and become the biggest selling female artist ever? In 15/20 years or so, of course. 

- Acknowledging that Madonna’s sales are mostly traditional albums sales and that it is a lot harder than stream converted sales is important. But it is also a moot point. 

Let’s Discuss :ducky:

She eventually might. But I don't really care about that really. I'll be happy for like 10 minutes when it happens 10 years from now. 

At this rate, honestly yeah. One more peak era and she might snatch the crown

She’s re-recording and re-releasing her biggest albums, so I wouldn’t be surprised…

In terms of charts, since they're adjusted for time, I think she already has in the US - but raw album units will be an uphill battle given the state of the industry right now. I'll admit I don't know the specifics and breakdowns. I believe she is the only current artist with the capacity to do it, though.

Worldwide, I'm much less sure. I don't see it happening in terms of total units, but I would not at all be shocked to be wrong. It's important to note that she's only 32 years old - it's not impossible that her already storied career lasts five more decades. Anything could happen.

She should pass in terms of Chartmaster's formula within a decade max, especially if she keeps her current rate of releases. Her label might announce it sooner though, as labels generally tend to find bigger figures in the streaming era. The answer is yes but the timeline depends on what album unit reporter you care about.

It's possible. She's also probably the only one who will be able to do it bar Rihanna. 

9 minutes ago, shookspeare said:

yes she is an intergalactic sensation bigger than the beatles

can't wait for Her to go #1 in venus!

I think so. But at this stage I also think that Taylor will end up the biggest artist ever. 

The only thing Taylor isn’t pacing with Madonna is hit singles. Madonna was still getting global radio hits in her 25th year in the business (4 Minutes). Taylor’s last true hit was I Don’t Wanna Live Forever around 10 years into her career. The fact that album cuts (DBM, Cruel Summer, august) end up more enduring than singles proves this. 

She’ll pass her with tours and albums easily. Influence-wise, Madonna is obviously extremely visually influential which Taylor lacks but Taylor will continue to collect sons and daughters in the music industry by her writing. 

She already did. :michael:

Never. Especially not in terms of impact and influence

She probably has already, but in the next 10 years it will be unquestionable commercially.

There will always the discussion of cultural impact and influence, but for the first time in the last couple years the newer generations are reflecting her influence and impact.

So at one point it might be completely undeniable that she’s the biggest popstar ever.

Edited by Trent W

49 minutes ago, Hot Volcano said:

No :ahh:

Imagine comparing Taylor Swift to ******* Madonna :deadbanana4:

The fact that she will pass her and you will fume :ahh:

The fact you've been obsessing about Taylor since the moment you joined this forum in the Gaga base and you're still crying about it :ahh:

It is inevitable I fear. Madonna was already 47 when she released her 10th studio album, and Taylor established herself

in the streaming era - it’s much easier for older artists to get hits now than it used to be when radio was so dominant like in most of Madonnas time. 

2 hours ago, Badgalbriel said:

The fact that she will pass her and you will fume :ahh:

The fact you've been obsessing about Taylor since the moment you joined this forum in the Gaga base and you're still crying about it :ahh:

Of course that person is a Gaga stan :toofunny3:

He probably doesn't even care about Madonna, he's just bitter Gaga isn't the one doing it, after all she was the one the media promoted hard as the new "Queen of Pop" for YEARS despite never having the numbers to back it up :toofunny3:

Edited by Enrique523

she will. the only person who could beat madonna is her and with the longevity both has is insane

9 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

I think so. But at this stage I also think that Taylor will end up the biggest artist ever. 

The only thing Taylor isn’t pacing with Madonna is hit singles. Madonna was still getting global radio hits in her 25th year in the business (4 Minutes). Taylor’s last true hit was I Don’t Wanna Live Forever around 10 years into her career. The fact that album cuts (DBM, Cruel Summer, august) end up more enduring than singles proves this. 

She’ll pass her with tours and albums easily. Influence-wise, Madonna is obviously extremely visually influential which Taylor lacks but Taylor will continue to collect sons and daughters in the music industry by her writing. 

Speaking about hit singles, Taylor should release more songs from midnights to be singles like karma, maroon, lavender haze and would've could've should've 

No.

Maybe in sales, yea. It is anyway easy to outsell influential and remarkable acts when you release 10 records and 3 re-recorded efforts in 16 years (Madonna has put out 14 albums in over 3 decades, to give you an idea of what I am talking about). However, like someone once said, there are two eras. Pre-Madonna and post-Madonna. She was, is and will always be the most important, influential and iconic female artist of all time.

Edited by Blackout2006

From a commercial point of view, she is the only one that could surpass Madonna. 

In terms of impact and influence, I personally don't see it. Madonna's impact on society has been enormous. But time will tell, who knows. 

The mere fact she is in that kind of conversation at 32 years old is wild though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.