Does Taylor Manipulate Her Fans Into Buying Her Music?

Brikenbur

No need to go down the laundry list of her previous rollouts as she’s gearing up to release Midnights, I can’t help but notice that she keeps popping up on my feed with another “new” edition of the Midnights album.

For an album that isn’t even released yet, no lead single, no snippets, etc. yet she has a full merch store available for her Midnights era; which nothing is necessarily wrong with as we can spend our money on whatever we please…

However..

FIRST - it was the original pre-order of the album (CD, vinyl, cassette)

SECOND - 3 additional “collectible” artwork versions of the album are available for pre-order in all formats

THIRD - the clock assortment; complete with accessories (which is cute ngl)

FOURTH - Special edition CD’s (which is a dying format) with “hand signed” autographs available for 48 hours. 

Like, why the 48 hours availability? Why are so many versions of this album available to pre-order with no music? Is the new music not selling to their standards?

Obviously Taylor, and her team, know that they can release whatever they want in her online store and The Swifties will be right in line to purchase, as it has been proven in the past, but, does that say something about Taylor as an artist? 

It is strategic to use collectibles and online stores to engage the fans, but, when fans are buying multiple copies of the same product and end up spending $100+; what does that really say about the artist and their team? 

Taylor Swift Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by Brikenbur

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brikenbur

• Headlock

• Steve Johnson

• PoisonedIvy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is forcing you to buy Taylor's album. I'm a Taylor fan but I don't have any of her albums yet 

yes, it’s gotten worse with each era and has reached new lows with midnights. she outright lied by saying certain things would be limited edition just to immediately restock them a week later

No.. Like every artist, she wants her fans to buy her music.. That's how it works. 

However she is one of those that will go the extra mile with those Re-recordings and 9 different covers for a album

I don't think "manipulate" is the right word as she's not forcing anyone to buy her music. 

She is, however, exploiting her fans, who she knows will buy whatever she puts out. She's a businesswoman and she can never have enough money, sell enough records, or be at the top of the charts for long enough. She always wants more, more, more.

I wouldn't have as big of a problem with all of these versions if they had different music on them, but instead it's literally just a different cover which takes 0 effort on Taylor's end. The clock thing is cool, though. That kind of unique stuff isn't a big deal, imo, as it's not lazy like the different covers.

Just now, pccp said:

No one is forcing you to buy Taylor's album. I'm a Taylor fan but I don't have any of her albums yet 

Wait what?

No one is forcing you to buy her music tho. 

and for Swifties? WE ARE HAPPY WE GETTING A NEW MUSIC. 
not everyone can get that :wanda:

for Non Swifties? Mind your own business please :gaycat5:

worry about your no demand fave. 

Edited by LosingHimWasBlue

1 minute ago, Brikenbur said:

which nothing is necessarily wrong with as we can spend our money on whatever we please…

This is your answer, yet you felt the need to make this stupid thread anyways. What does that really say about Brikenbur and their increasingly worrying obsession with Taylor?

spacer.png

No, and if she does then every other artist does. But the better question here is why do you care what Taylor’s fans do with their money :lakitu:

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

This is your answer, yet you felt the need to make this stupid thread anyways. What does that really say about Brikenbur and their increasingly worrying obsession with Taylor?

spacer.png

Brikenbur actually owns self titled deluxe, Fearless, RED, 1989 and reputation. Sure, you could say I’m “obsessed” with some of her music, but, I’m certainly trying to understand this as you just glaze over the topic at hand :coffee2:

I don't understand buying something when u don't even have 1 song to know if you'll like it

Yes, she loves manipulating her young fans to buy four vinyls of the same album.

It's one of her worst traits along with her need to fly across the atlantic in a private jet every day.

Her fans need to stop acting like it's cute

200.gif

1 minute ago, Holiest Dreams said:

No, and if she does then every other artist does. But the better question here is why do you care what Taylor’s fans do with their money :lakitu:

Act like he gave those money :deadbanana2:

not this tired ass narrative again :deadbanana4: 

1 minute ago, Holiest Dreams said:

I never once said I cared about what anyone was doing with their money luv I’m talking about the artist Ms Taylor swifnt :lakitu:

2 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

Brikenbur actually owns self titled deluxe, Fearless, RED, 1989 and reputation. Sure, you could say I’m “obsessed” with some of her music, but, I’m certainly trying to understand this as you just glaze over the topic at hand :coffee2:

Thank you for confirming your obsession? I do genuinely wonder if you believe anyone actually thinks you’re “trying to understand” anything

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Aaron said:

yes, it’s gotten worse with each era and has reached new lows with midnights. she outright lied by saying certain things would be limited edition just to immediately restock them a week later

This. I initially pre-ordered all 4 vinyl variants, then completely cancelled my order once she started doing these gimmicks. Not buying the "signed" CDs, either. :lmao: It's a drop in the bucket, I'm aware, but she went from a $150 order to $0 from me. I'll only buy the standard vinyl once it's on sale around Christmas if I like the album. 

Fans and record collectors need to know that Taylor's never going to let the albums she owns go out of print. They will never be rare or limited. Girl is all about her money and she will milk her fans out of their last stimulus check if she needs to. 

1 minute ago, Icarus said:

Yes, she loves manipulating her young fans to buy four vinyls of the same album.

It's one of her worst traits along with her need to fly across the atlantic in a private jet every day.

Her fans need to stop acting like it's cute

200.gif

i know that buying your faves music must be a hard concept to grasp as camilizer :coffee2: but let me spell it out for you, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s kinda the whole point

which nothing is necessarily wrong with as we can spend our money on whatever we please

You answered your own question.

It's not manipulation. It's strategic and she def encourages bulk buying but this is why Taylor has the biggest fanbase rn. She's great at marketing and knew how to develop a relationship with her fans. It's very Kpop of her. 

3 minutes ago, Brikenbur said:

I never once said I cared about what anyone was doing with their money 

Your thread title is literally about her fans buying her music

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Headlock said:

Thank you for confirming your obsession? I do genuinely wonder if you believe anyone actually thinks you’re “trying to understand” anything

spacer.png

I do genuinely wonder why you take your online presence on ATRL so seriously 

not "manipulate" but she's surely exploiting her fans, it's already serving obsessed behavior with all those versions, she needs to see a therapist about it

Just now, Headlock said:

Your thread title is literally about her fans buying her music

spacer.png

It’s about her selling her music :gaycat7:

1 minute ago, Brikenbur said:

I do genuinely wonder why you take your online presence on ATRL so seriously 

So you’re confirming you only exist on here to troll, cool!

spacer.png