Are The Gays™ Just Box Office Poison?

GraceRandolph

2 hours ago, mxoonlight said:

The Billy movie was never going to do massive numbers but could’ve done better had Billy not been the lead and had the marketing not alienated the core demo.

Also This

13 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Lightyear was released theatrically.

Movies from small studios CAN break out you know? Look at all the A24 crossover hits. 

It was also released on disney plus a month after release. 

20 minutes ago, FightForTanas said:

It was also released on disney plus a month after release. 

Partly because it underperformed at the box office…

Everyone saying that Bros sucked.... have you seen the critic AND audience reviews? It's ACCLAIMED

On 10/3/2022 at 3:20 AM, GraceRandolph said:

Is the gp more comfortable with lesbian movies?

Wasn't the couple in Lightyear which you used as an example lesbian?

-

Eternals and Lightyear are just terrible souless movies and the fact that we get blamed for them flopping because of irrelevant side characters is just sad. :rip: 

With that being said, I'll agree that "gay movies" like Bros don't really have mass appeal to do well on theaters, but they usually do better on streaming. Wasn't that why Love Simon got a streaming show? The film did mediocre on theaters but it smashed when it went to streaming. Probably because closeted gays can watch from the comfort of their homes without feeling embarrassed. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:59 PM, Jynx said:

Yes. Gays lack pure sales but get streams. :gayalipacat3:

Hahahahahahaha I'm roaring.

On 10/3/2022 at 8:20 AM, GraceRandolph said:

With Bros currently tanking, and more mainstream attempts at gay inclusion putting off viewers of films like Eternals and Lightyear, is it time for us to accept that gays are box office poison? People will cite exceptions, but it is rare for a gay themed movie to crack $100 million at the box office, and gay franchise fare always tends to under-perform expectations, or be the worst received, or lowest grossing in whatever franchise the gays are featured in. With the exception of Brokeback Mountain, most gay themed films struggle to crack $70 million even with excellent word of mouth. Is the gp more comfortable with lesbian movies? Everything Everywhere All At Once smashed, but why can't gay films smash as well?

If you're including Lightyear and Eternals in gay flops, isn't it only fair to count Endgame, Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars...in gay successes since their inclusion screentime is similat

If you want to make a point at least list some actual gay movies instead of those shitty Disney ones where they do the bare minimum capitalist attempt for LGBTQ+ brownie points.

Like the fact that you’re trying to pin the floppage of the bottom of the MCU barrel that is the Eternals on gay people. Please be serious.

Edited by Gossip_Boy

9 hours ago, Talento said:

Wasn't the couple in Lightyear which you used as an example lesbian?

-

Eternals and Lightyear are just terrible souless movies and the fact that we get blamed for them flopping because of irrelevant side characters is just sad. :rip: 

With that being said, I'll agree that "gay movies" like Bros don't really have mass appeal to do well on theaters, but they usually do better on streaming. Wasn't that why Love Simon got a streaming show? The film did mediocre on theaters but it smashed when it went to streaming. Probably because closeted gays can watch from the comfort of their homes without feeling embarrassed. 

If I'm being honest, I don't think they necessarily DO better numbers streaming wise (none of these shows/movies are amongst the most watched from their respective services), however I do think they get better social media interaction (also due to the fact that they tend to get large teen/college female fanbase). I'd say the closest thing (with LGBT representation) to actually compete with the big dogs is probably something like Euphoria. Heartstopper/Fire Island/Love Victor all probably have a dedicated fanbase, but they are like the Charli XCX to the Taylor Swifts of the streaming world

• 1 month later...

Strange World also just bombed... :sherlock:

Yes.. Only two gay films were a success but tbh i think that we can count all the big gay films on one hand

yes we're local commercial flops :( 

at least we're usually critical darlings :giraffe:

oh and as the girls said strihming elixir :giraffe:

Edited by modeblock

More of a recent issue it seems, because of the rise of the 'anti woke' brigade. I don't think CMBYN would smash now the way it did back then.

Yeah, but everything is box office poison these days outside of Disney franchises.

The Gays™ own TV/streaming though. Ryan Murphy alone is dominating. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.