Billy blames flop movie on straight people

Stepfon

17 minutes ago, Rainbows said:

he's really upset straight people aren't going to see a movie made for the lgbt? why would they babes? :skull:

I mean I’ve seen plenty of movies made for the str8 even though I’m gay. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Protocol

• TanjiroKamado

• Stepfon

• JBJT2786

I find it odd how gay men are persuaded to love or hate something based on the success of it or others' opinions of it. It's like they live solely for the success and popularity of something. Bros not being your cup of tea aside, this is a much larger issue I have noticed with gay men from many of you hating Frank Ocean simply because, hating Sam Smith for being non-binary and effeminate to siding with homophobes when they were coming for Lil Nas X last year after the gay kiss at the BET.  What the hell?

This reminds me of when RuPaul went on the Joan Rivers show years ago and said women were a large part of Drag Race's success and gay men nitpicked the show in the beginning and don't like to support their own. RuPaul told no lies. The sad part is, Bros probably would have been more successful if they added straight men in the roles. But the funny thing about that is, the people who would run to Twitter to ***** in the even that that happened, wouldn't have supported the movie either way.

This is why I don't campaign for more representation. Your version of representation comes with a big, fat asterisk. 

2 hours ago, Cloy said:

This is a trending topic on Lipstick Alley today and they are gloating about this big time, citing that "woke" makes you go broke and all of that neck beard talk. I wonder if they're gonna feel the same way if The Little Mermaid flops in a few months. According to them, gay representation is forced but black representation isn't even when you race swap. 

The Little Mermaid is not flopping.. lol.

I do want to see this movie, but, the way its being marketed just seems like it'll be stereotypical gay movie with stereotypical gay characters, which I do enjoy watching, however, Fire Island was a little more enticing due to its more realistic diverse cast and more relatability. For instance, Bros comes across as those silly RomComs from the early 2010's like Friends with BenefitsJust Go with ItTrainwreck, etc...... :chick1:

2 hours ago, Cloy said:

This is a trending topic on Lipstick Alley today and they are gloating about this big time, citing that "woke" makes you go broke and all of that neck beard talk. I wonder if they're gonna feel the same way if The Little Mermaid flops in a few months. According to them, gay representation is forced but black representation isn't even when you race swap. 

You being back here after being dragged for being completely wrong about gay films failing at the BO to making racial accusations shows your true intentions in this thread. And you're terrible at it

13 minutes ago, Scotland said:

The Little Mermaid is not flopping.. lol.

The user is  trolling in their own echo chamber and isn't gonna reply. Best to ignore and report for trolling.

11 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

"No I don't hate other gays or the idea of a gay movie by a comedian. I just hate Billy because he's cringe and annoying. And I also hated Fire Island and its entire cast, and everyone on Queer Eye, and Trixie & Katya, and Bowen Yang, and Benny Drama. But like, they're all extra and terrible."

Like :skull: Do they not see the pattern or are they just pretending not to? Nobody would care if you just admitted you hate gay male celebrities especially those who make a living telling jokes, it's quite a popular opinion.

There are plenty of gay male comedians that are successful that haven't crossed over into film that aren't Billy Eichner. 

There are plenty of people in the community that follow and love gay male comedians other than Billy Eichner. 

To apply Billy Eichner as some bar or standard that everyone has to approve of or else they're self-loathing or effemophobes is wildly insulting.

7 hours ago, Bey'Knight said:

Any movie that makes more than 4 times it’s budget is mathematically a hit. It’s nothing to do with atrl. The person you quoted was using numbers without context. Maybe Cus y’all are used to box office returns from marvel juggernauts, you think every movie is expected to perform to those standards. Many movies don’t even start with a wide release in the first place. Might I suggest y’all acquaint yourselves with how movie business works before you start arbitrarily casting off movies as flops?

Sure, but if a movie’s production budget is insignificant then making four times more than it won’t automatically mean the movie is a hit movie. The Paranormal Activity movies could’ve made very little money by this logic and still been considered smashes when they are really just profitable given the small risk.

7 hours ago, CaptainMusic said:

Moonlight grossed 65M worldwide, multiplying its budget of 1.5M x 40.

It did surprisingly well outside the U.S outgrossing Love Simon and CMBYN and being one of the few black American films not starring Will Smith to gross more outside the U.S. 

That is a box office success. A movie doesn’t have to gross 100M to be a success. 

moonlight was profitable and i'm not trying to diminish its success, only point out that it is largely a niche film despite a sustained awards season push and winning best picture. it's a great example of why gay films need to stay within a microscopic budget in order to turn profits because they do not scale, which is sort of a bummer. moonlight grossed just $27M domestic. bros would've certainly gotten there in better box office conditions and it still wouldn't have been nearly enough to be seen as a success. 

The movie was godawful and his antics on Twitter lately have been insufferable.

My husband and I saw it tonight. The first ten minutes made me SO nervous and confused but after that, it was digestible enough. Not amazing, but definitely not terrible.

Problem is it appeals to the older crowd, with it being R rated.

That crowd ain't showing up for a gay rom com, and young people can't relate to his brand.

I actually think it would surprise if its a YA gay rom-com geared towards the younger audience, who are hungry for a good LGBT film.

I'm sorry but I watched the trailer and laughed out loud at the part where he catches Luke Macfarlane's eye in the club :deadbanana2::deadbanana2::deadbanana2: 

RomCom as a genre largely works bc the women in the target-market like to project onto a love story they want to relate to, so it’s not surprising, nor homophobic, that they don’t want to go to a cinema and pay to watch a gay romcom where there’s no actual drama or lure other than the gay love-story itself. :michael: 
It’s the same reason most gays in here wouldn’t be bothered to go watch a romcom where there’s no unique plot other than the lovers being trans, and also the same reason most poc gays don’t want to go watch an unattainable white gay love story.  :kitty: The RomCom market only works towards those who actually relate, which in this movie’s case is just the white liberal cis gays. 

I just saw a TikTok about this and honestly it makes pretty much logically sense on why it showed the result he's bothered by. First of all, I went to see the movie this weekend and it wasn't that bad and it was very joyful. Yeah, as a gay Latinx man, I am glad that there is a LGBTQ+ cast led romcom and not straight people playing gay characters, but however I am aware of the consciousness that I may not feel represented in this film because it is centered towards cis white gay men and some of these tropes are accurate to a certain extent, but it is totally okay to be critical about the film if you are a part of the community + especially if you are a person of color that is part of the community 

Now why do I feel like it flopped? The TikTok really provided good points on why it flopped and mainly it because the marketing was catered towards 'straight people' which explains why Billy Eichner was going off on straight people. Honey, this movie is a LGBTQ+ led film, you have to market towards the community which is literally your core audience who will most likely see the film, then the straight people will follow. Also, they should've chosen a better date to release the movie. October is literally horror films/spooky films time. Also, BIPOC queer people may go to support, but some will not because they don't feel represented in the film and that's valid. The marketing wasn't well-thought out.

Edited by Mellark

MadonnasBoyfriend

Side note.. Googled his old pictures and I saw this spacer.png2008+NewNowNext+Awards+6uEThoYrz76x.jpg

Looks like a different person. That's him right? :rip:

I see what he's saying; sure, there's a contingency of incels who are 'offended' by the LGBTQ+ nature of the film, but that doesn't also account for people who a) just aren't interested in seeing the film, and b) the people who saw it and just thought it was 'okay'. 

13 hours ago, Espresso said:

There are plenty of gay male comedians that are successful that haven't crossed over into film that aren't Billy Eichner. 

There are plenty of people in the community that follow and love gay male comedians other than Billy Eichner. 

To apply Billy Eichner as some bar or standard that everyone has to approve of or else they're self-loathing or effemophobes is wildly insulting.

I mean, like :rip: You have Bowen Yang in SNL, Joel Kim Booster, who just starred in ''Fire Island'', Julio Torres... I like Billy Eichner, and it is true that there are gay men who hate gay celebrities because of self-hatred or whatever, but it's okay to not like his comedy, no one is going to call you a ''bad gay'' for doing so. 

Edited by BobBertran1992

This is such an entitled cis white gay male response to the movie flopping lol. 

I actually saw the movie last weekend. It’s VERY cringe and also pretty corny, but I won’t lie I did think it was pretty funny. Although….Billy singing at the end was when I decided I’d never watch the movie again. 

There were a few issues with the movie. Gays that create films and TV shows need to STOP mentioning and constantly joking about straight people if they want them to watch. It’s very cringe and alienates them and claiming they are homophobic for not supporting it is stupid. 

Besides that, Billy’s character was also verrrryyyyy grating. He argued with his boyfriend’s mother over whether 2nd graders should be taught LGBT history AND kept bringing up to his hot boyfriend that he thought he wasn’t actually attracted to him. 

His complaining about his looks, Bowen’s character in Fire Island and the trailer I saw for the new Jim Parsons movie before Bros has also made me realize that the gays have GOT to stop with the “I’m insecure and I don’t think you’re physically attracted to me because you’re hot” trope in movies too.

Either cast other regular looking gays as a love interest or keep the body image/insecurities to a minimum, it’s a romcom. I swear in straight romcoms the guys don’t spend half the movie whining to the hot chick that they don’t think they are actually attracted to them. 

This movie really should have just got a streaming release :rip: I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't believe I can judge whether or not the movie is good, but I don't think the movie has been marketed very well for theatrical release at all. Rom-coms as a genre are not very popular right now unless marketed towards teenagers, and those usually have streaming releases as well. The last purely rom-com movie I can think of to have smashed in theatres was Crazy Rich Asians (2018) which is a good four years ago.

Ctfu, that man sounds so entitled and self-important. I'm glad the movie flopped, let's divert our attention back to actually good and moving queer cinema. 

I really think they just chose the wrong actors tbh. We dont want to see more white males being glorified in the gay community. And the jokes just seem to obvious, its camp but not in a great way it seems. I will see it when it starts streaming tho.

EDIT: His attitude regarding the whole thing is a turn-off too.

Edited by Afterglow

Oh i had a popup add on grindr yesterday with BROS i thought it was a HIV campaign :gaycat7:

It looked bad anyways. Like why is it even called BROS? :gaycat7:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.