Billboard to replace BDSradio (Nielsen) with Mediabase's airplay data

Ger

Can they just remove the radio in their formula? Losers.

MEDIABASE TO REPLACE BDS ON LUMINATE

Because Mediabase’s audience is bigger than that of BDS, radio thus earns a slightly larger piece of the Hot 100 pie—which means radio becomes more important. That’s good for the weasels and really good for Mediabase President/CEO Philippe Generali and EVP Global Music Marketing and Strategy Alissa Pollack (pictured), the industry-facing person who’s been fighting this fight for years. We congratulate both for achieving their long-sought goal.

Said Generali, “This new strategic partnership allows us the opportunity to be innovative in our approach to radio monitoring and further our and Luminate’s positions as undisputed experts in music data.”

“Mediabase has proven itself to be the most trusted and referenced radio-data provider in today’s fast-moving, ever-changing music industry,” added Luminate CEO Rob Jonas. “At Luminate, we pride ourselves on being able to provide our clients—whether major record labels, tech companies, film studios, TV networks or indie-music powerhouses—with the absolute best information to operate and grow their businesses. This new partnership allows us to do just that.”

Today’s announcement also reveals Luminate’s plans to modernize its client and user platform, which will house all of the company’s data offerings. Mediabase is the first of numerous data partners that will contribute intelligence to the new Luminate platform, slated to launch in 2023.

49 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

Because Mediabase’s audience is bigger than that of BDS, radio thus earns a slightly larger piece of the Hot 100 pie—which means radio becomes more important.

This just sounds like speculation by HDD to me :michael: I'm telling you, Billboard will reduce radio's weight by the amount that Mediabase's numbers are inflated over BDS's. Suddenly giving tons of songs 30% more airplay would be a massive change to the chart and I don't think that's what Billboard wants with this move. Based on this HDD article itself, this doesn't even seem to have been Billboard's choice - it's just a natural consequence of a merger between two external reporters.

5 hours ago, shelven said:

This just sounds like speculation by HDD to me :michael: I'm telling you, Billboard will reduce radio's weight by the amount that Mediabase's numbers are inflated over BDS's. Suddenly giving tons of songs 30% more airplay would be a massive change to the chart and I don't think that's what Billboard wants with this move. Based on this HDD article itself, this doesn't even seem to have been Billboard's choice - it's just a natural consequence of a merger between two external reporters.

Billboard probably needs to cut Mediabase's numbers in half at the very least to resemble an accurate chart. Radio's weight on the Hot 100 has been too heavy since late 2017/early 2018, and it got even worse after the removal of UGC in January 2020. Adding 30% more airplay to songs will pretty much kill the credibility of the Hot 100. I mean, Billboard's all-time list is already being infilitrated by the greatest radio hits of the last 5 years.

Billboard: "LABELS are PAYING Radios to push their artists' singles"

Also Billboard: "Chart is dying, let's add more weight to radio airplays"

:dies:

well whatever the true radio numbers should be reflect.

who cares what ATRL thinks about radio...many still consume radio more than sales.

It should be streaming then radio then sales but all can and are manipulated so whoever lets this trigger then needs to get some fresh air 

giphy.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.