What isn't weird in your culture but weird in US culture?

Before Today

When I was staying in Ireland I noticed kids swearing a lot in front of their parents. I also noticed that families are pretty independent and go off and do their own thing whereas in the states, you do everything together as a family. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Before Today

• Daddy

• Cloudy

• bad guy

3 hours ago, Oceania said:

Well, then you should know that Italy is far from being a cultural monolith.

I've never been to the US but, as a northern italian, I know I have nothing in common with the average italian-american I see portrayed in the media.

OT: Male circumcision apparently. 

Emphasis here on “portrayed in the media,” though.

There are many characteristics, traits, and traditions that the two sides share. Just as Italy is not a monolith, neanche la comunità italo-americana lo è. :lee:

4 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

eating with your hands

eating on the floor

being loud asf

parents cursing themselves out if theyre mad :skull:

also using diseases as curse words. like cancer lol

nnn this :cm: 

also my parents were taught french in school and i never knew "imbecile" was considered a swear word in french until we were watching spongebob once  :ahh: 

squidward called spongebob an imbecile and my younger siblings started repeating it and my dad got so mad :ahh:

In the UK we generally keep eggs out in the open in egg basket's and don't usually store them refrigerator.

Also I saw Americans find it weird that the people in the UK has pizza's along with Fries as a meal.

when i went to live in spain for a year i had no idea about places shutting down in the afternoon for people to take naps and i was in such awe :skull:

Inverted response but when I went to Europe it was impossible to get any drink with ice. Here in the US every drink has ice. I find it so odd because why would you not have ice in drinks on a hot summer day :rip:

10 hours ago, bad guy said:

Inverted response but when I went to Europe it was impossible to get any drink with ice. Here in the US every drink has ice. I find it so odd because why would you not have ice in drinks on a hot summer day :rip:

Ice takes up so much space. As a Canadian we also have ice in everything... always so annoyed with myself when I forget to say "no ice" whenever I order a drink somewhere. 

Calling your teacher/professor by their first name. :rip: Like the amount of videos I've seen of Americans doing it as a prank on their teachers and the teachers completely freaking out/cussing them out :rip: Like stop being so weird, it's literally your name. The need for superiority validation is WEIRD.

Edited by mellenthin

3 hours ago, Kamil24 said:

Ice takes up so much space. As a Canadian we also have ice in everything... always so annoyed with myself when I forget to say "no ice" whenever I order a drink somewhere. 

This is true but I hated having no ice in my drinks, they'd get warm so fast.

1. Greeting strangers by kissing them in the cheek. Except male-to-male because of course :toofunny2:

2. Add lemon to everything (gross)

3. Being late. Some people even consider it rude to arrive on time. As in, if you’re invited at 7pm you’re expected to arrive at 7:15, 7:30 but NOT at 7pm. 
4. Burying people’s faces into their birthday cakes 

On 9/18/2022 at 1:02 PM, Raptus said:

Living with parents  after you turn 23-25 sounds like a nightmare. And i love my parents :skull: So im glad in european culture its not popular (excluding  Italy). But  my parents bought me an apartament in the city I chose to live so I kinda see that  someone  without the  funds would prefere living in parents house rather than renting some small room in shared flat.

Very off-topic, but I actually didn't move out until now (I'm 25, turning 26 literally next month), and believe me, I am thinking of moving back with my parents lol Not forever, because I do agree being forever indebted/dependent on your parents sounds like a nightmare, but being between jobs, having bills to pay, etc. is not fun at all. I like the independence and having property to my name, but I do not like struggling this much. I plan to go back to university, get my Masters in a different field, and move out again when I'm set in a career. 

Generational wealth, being a part of a community, family values, morals... the list is endless. 

living with your parents at any age before marriage + actually taking care of them in-house when they're old

I noticed in Europe that people work but unlike here in the US it’s not their lives. Like it was the middle of the day and the stores and streets were packed, to their credit some of them could have been on their lunch break but I just got the vibe there that they aren’t consumed or obsessed with work the way we are in the US.

-Free healthcare

-Bouncers in McDonald’s (admittedly this is weird everywhere but the UK)

-Calling friends parents and uni lecturers by their first name

-Casual swearing

Edited by Robert

On 9/20/2022 at 4:06 AM, Mr.Link said:

3. Being late. Some people even consider it rude to arrive on time. As in, if you’re invited at 7pm you’re expected to arrive at 7:15, 7:30 but NOT at 7pm. 

What country is this? :dies: I need to move there since I'm always late 

On 9/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, Harrier said:

Swearing a lot. I know most younger people in the US aren't averse to swearing but everybody at all ages swears in Australia.

The fu word is like nothing to us, people say it in the workplace :skull: Nevermind how ***** is just thrown around like nothing

omg...true

the fact that i cant make a sentence up without swearing :rip:

Drinking in public. The fact that they have to use a paper bag around their beer if they want to drink it while not at home. The absurdity of it all :ahh:

Calling teachers by their first name, tipping at cafeterias/restarants, free healthcare, drinking in public, swearing, nudity

Edited by Cloudy

On 9/18/2022 at 8:02 PM, Raptus said:

Living with parents  after you turn 23-25 sounds like a nightmare. And i love my parents :skull: So im glad in european culture its not popular (excluding  Italy). But  my parents bought me an apartament in the city I chose to live so I kinda see that  someone  without the  funds would prefere living in parents house rather than renting some small room in shared flat.

Oh my the privilege...

Another thing I noticed as someone from England when I visited the States is how open/forward Americans can be. Like on public transport people seem to talk more and acknowledge strangers/strike up conversations, whereas in the UK people are far more reserved/introverted. Also, in the UK people hate having to say "excuse me" if people are holding them up and always apologize for everything. :priceless:

vegemite on toast

20220630_023250.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.