Google Chrome to disable Adblockers starting January

katara

19 minutes ago, Nano said:

:rip: Bro, what, you think people are gonna judge you for using Firefox?

Literally who said that? :skull: 

Chrome is just better.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robyn.

• spree

• Jagger

• Illuminati

13 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

Literally who said that? :skull: 

Chrome is just better.

Chrome is terrible :bibliahh:

Firefox>>>>

Cause ublock origin works best on Firefox.

Is lighter on system resources, Chrome annihilates your RAM

Is the absolute best browser for privacy

Unbeatable configurability

Is open source

Not Chromium based

Not made by Google 

11 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

Chrome is terrible :bibliahh:

Firefox>>>>

Cause ublock origin works best on Firefox.

Is lighter on system resources, Chrome annihilates your RAM

Is the absolute best browser for privacy

Unbeatable configurability

Is open source

Not Chromium based

Not made by Google 

I didn't know there was a Chrome vs Firefox stan war chill :skull: 

I prefer Chrome's look but you do you boo

5 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

I prefer Chrome's look but you do you boo

So you think Chrome is better because you prefer how it looks.

I guess you'll change your tune when your web pages are filled with ads again.

5 minutes ago, Robyn. said:

I didn't know there was a Chrome vs Firefox stan war chill :skull: 

It's less of a stan war and more of a fight to not let Google monopolize the internet.

Edited by Nano

on all websites or only on the google awned ones, cuz if its for all, girl I'm gone... I'm not siting through 5 ads on some random websites ill only visit once. Firefox here I come...

Isn't Chromium open-source? Why can Google change things for everybody? :deadbanana4: I'm confused.

I read a little bit more about it and the big change they're making is the transition between something called Manifest V2 to Manifest V3 in 2023, which supposedly brings more security to extensions. And that they plan on adblockers to still work with it :huh:

Manifest V3 will block a so called "WebRequest" API, which could affect some of the ads. And that the API can still be used by the browser itself. So, in theory, any Chromium browser could still block ads if they already have some kind of ad blocking already built-in (Google Chrome probably wouldn't, but others could).

I've also read on some websites that Manifest V3 might not really offer any security and that it's really just a masterplan for Google to make it harder to block ads. And that there's a big concern around it because (obviously) Chromium is a monopoly and all other browsers have to do the same in order to stay in business. Then wouldn't that mean Google is being anti-competitive? And therefore, this would be an antitrust case which could be blocked? Why is no one doing it? :rip:

Google always gets away with things like things, it's unbelievable :deadbanana4: But also, maybe it means it really isn't gonna change much and it's all just fearmongering? :rip:

Firefox or safari it is then :coffee2:

I haven't used Chrome in a while so I normally wouldn't care about this, but I'm worried this is going to motivate the other major browsers to do the same thing :dancehall: Hopefully this is just a matter of Google wanting to show people their own ads and not a bigger industry trend.

Chrome is awful :rip: it's a memory eater. Never stopped using Firefox :gaycat:

Back on topic, doesn't this mean they won't allow it from the store? I know they can disable it via updates but people can revert to the older versions or use open-source/third party software, they can't really control that.

In reality you could just use Chromium (maybe Opera as well), it's nearly identical to Chrome anyways. Or you could just use Tor, it has built in adblock/vpn/etc. :cooldown:

5 hours ago, Robyn. said:

ugh i'd hate this because the other browsers are kinda wack

Edge looks cheap and who uses Firefox 

4 hours ago, Nano said:

:rip: Bro, what, you think people are gonna judge you for using Firefox?

Firefox was very popular in the late 00s early 10s, but went downhill in performance for a period of time. However, something must have happened to revitalize it, as in 2022 I've found it runs even smoother than Chrome.

Do you guys really think Firefox is better than Brave? Idk :rip:

I've used Brave on mobile for a long time, and it's excellent. Just downloaded Brave for PC as well

@nathanspears

Edited by rihannabiggestfan

5 hours ago, magazine said:

Isn't Chromium open-source? Why can Google change things for everybody? :deadbanana4: I'm confused.

I read a little bit more about it and the big change they're making is the transition between something called Manifest V2 to Manifest V3 in 2023, which supposedly brings more security to extensions. And that they plan on adblockers to still work with it :huh:

Manifest V3 will block a so called "WebRequest" API, which could affect some of the ads. And that the API can still be used by the browser itself. So, in theory, any Chromium browser could still block ads if they already have some kind of ad blocking already built-in (Google Chrome probably wouldn't, but others could).

I've also read on some websites that Manifest V3 might not really offer any security and that it's really just a masterplan for Google to make it harder to block ads. And that there's a big concern around it because (obviously) Chromium is a monopoly and all other browsers have to do the same in order to stay in business. Then wouldn't that mean Google is being anti-competitive? And therefore, this would be an antitrust case which could be blocked? Why is no one doing it? :rip:

Google always gets away with things like things, it's unbelievable :deadbanana4: But also, maybe it means it really isn't gonna change much and it's all just fearmongering? :rip:

It's open-source which means anybody can see the source code but Google developers are still the main "editors" of that code and they implement updates and all the major changes to that code.  Other Chromium-based browsers like Opera and Brave already have that built-in ad blocking but extensions like uBlock Origin are still hundred times better. Opera/Brave/Edge could of course branch out from Chromium, by choosing not to follow further updates down the line and keep supporting Manifest V2, but then again the point of them adopting Chromium for their browsers was skiping the need to hire software programmers for that job. Opera and Brave probably don't have the resources to go down that path right now.

Absolutely disgusting how ads have ruined the internet 

• ATRL Moderator

Opera the supreme browser :clap3: 

• ATRL Moderator

Chrome has been a bad browser for a while now. Firefox and Safari outsold. 

On 8/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, Jagger said:

Absolutely disgusting how ads have ruined the internet 

you wouldn't be saying that if you were a content creator.

8 hours ago, spree said:

you wouldn't be saying that if you were a content creator.

**** content creators lmao they've ruined the internet just as much as ads have. so it goes hand in hand 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.