• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kamil24

• mystery

• smoore95GAGA

• TheBoss

23 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

In before this is the best album released on this day.

You mean this

spacer.png

:gaycat:

On 8/25/2022 at 10:04 AM, ICEY said:

has anyone posted track descriptions yet?? 

I swear someone here said they would post it when she revealed the tracklist. Idk where they went :gaycat3:

On 8/29/2022 at 7:22 AM, Tyrion_LMG said:

She's in a very bad position right now. If she moves the album ahead she has Ava, The 1975 and Tove Lo. The other option is to move it two weeks ahead or push it a week later :rip:

I’m sure she doesn’t care about literally any of this and the album will proceed to be released on October 21st :cm:

On 8/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, BlackoutZone said:

Yes Talking to Yourself is a classic Carly bop

is it the song that was originally supposed to be the 2nd single before they switched last minute?

On 8/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, BlackoutZone said:

Yes Talking to Yourself is a classic Carly bop

Oh my god, I cannot WAIT for this one! I need a bop to get me through this final waiting period. 

some of the songs off this album feel very "OG Carly" to me, personally. if you've liked Carly over the years, this album won't disappoint.

-"Bends" and "Go Find Yourself or Whatever" remind me of Tug of War.

-"Far Away" reminds me of Curiosity EP

-"Talking to Yourself" and "Bad Things Twice" remind me of Kiss

-"Keep Away" heavily reminds me of "Never Get to Hold You" from Emotion

-"Shooting Star" - I've never heard Disco Sweat, but it sounds like what I could imagine a B-side from that scrapped album would sound like

Edited by BANKS

2 hours ago, BANKS said:

some of the songs off this album feel very "OG Carly" to me, personally. if you've liked Carly over the years, this album won't disappoint.

-"Shooting Star" - I've never heard Disco Sweat, but it sounds like what I could imagine a B-side from that scrapped album would sound like

Interesting ? And the other songs ? Have you listened in full? 

2 hours ago, BANKS said:

Omg. Kiss?! YESSSSSSSSSSSS. That's her best album :flame:

my rihview x

To say The Loneliest Time is a Carly Rae Jepsen album already sums it up more than any lengthy review. It's essentially a bit of everything she's given us throughout her entire career, for better or for worse. I remember about 2 years ago she said she might take a while to release the next project, cause she wants to try a different sound. And it seems like the trying started and ended with Western Wind. I was hoping the track would open the gates to new, more indie approach from Carly, but perhaps for now it was just her testing the waters while still settling for casual CRJ sound on rest of the album. Thankfully Carly remains a master of her own craft ready to bless us with more of what we love and the opening sequence is a proof of it. Surrender My Heart and Talking to Yourself are classic, bright, energetic bangers that could easily find their place on Kiss or Emotion. Joshua Tree is more cheeky, vibrant bass driven song, but also no less of a bop.

Far Away, a first solid favorite of mine is the closest to Western Wind we get elsewhere on the record. Even though supposedly untouched by Rostam it has very similar drum pattern and this time a far more rich and sparkly chorus. Cutesy Sideways continues the feel-good mid tempo section tickling a bit of Dedicated's Everything He Needs. This great streak ends with pretty dull Beach House, but the more I listen to the record the more I understand why it was picked as a single. Carly's songwriting has always been good, but her lyricism has often been corny or cringe-worthy and Beach House really highlights it. Luckily things take a great turn on the enchanting, beautiful Bends. The track is a rework of previously leaked Kiss-era song Sun on You, but pretty much all that's left of the original composition are the lyrics, both melody and production got fully revamped (for the better!). Western Wind, centerpiece - masterpiece, nothing more to add, so it's only disappointing its tracklist follow up is a lazily written, lackluster filler. Even with the pretty cool slightly funky production So Nice is uneventful and plain, lacking a distinctive chorus compromised with annoying male-vocal-led "la la la"s section instead. Carly finds herself loving those humming like sequences and unnamed male vocalists a bit too much lately. This misstep gets quickly compensated by Bad Thing Twice, another classic, lightly nostalgic poppy moment from the refreshed book of Emotion/Emotion Side B. It's not explosive enough to be a single, but hits just right to satisfy a true Jepsie. 

Shooting Star is an another track partially known to more dedicated fans aka another rework of a previously leaked demo called Disco Sweat, tied to a scrapped disco album of the same name Carly teased us with in the past. I think it's a good moment to let go of the infamous project, cause even though the track happened to "survive" through the years, it's neither reminiscent of the original version or the disco genre. Still it's a harmless addition to the album and a cute bop. Carly's vocals on it sound seemingly pitched or unusually high to me, it's a little bit jarring, but maybe that's just me. The Loneliest Time wouldn't be complete without a real, vulnerable ballad moment that is Go Find Yourself or Whatever. The longest song on the album floats mainly on simple acoustic guitar chords, but blossoms throughout to something of a stunning classic country piece. It reminds me of HAIM's Women in Music Pt. III which once again isn't a surprise as Rostam worked on them both. The album's title track and a standard edition closer is the true disco moment with beautiful strings, infectious groove and nostalgic melody. That's why I fail to see what was Carly's thought process of putting on it some completely insignificant guy she found on Shrek soundtrack just to drown her vocals in uncomfortable off-key squeaks. Once you get past that, it's a pretty good finale. 

At this point it's pretty clear the album is not very cohesive, not that it's messy - it's still entirely written by Carly in certain mindset, but shuffling these songs around wouldn't really change the overall reception so the focus should be on having as many clear highlights on as possible. To my surprise I happened to find a good chunk of them on the deluxe. All 3 bonus tracks are fantastic! Anxious is gonna be an instant fan-favorite. A shimmery dancefloor bliss with Carly's sensual vocals, thrilling electric production and catchy hook. A shame it's under 3 minutes, it could go on for much much longer. No Thinking Over the Weekend and Keep Away are both far slower moments, but both absolutely gorgeous and dreamy, could easily replace less exciting moments on the standard with Keep Away being a far more magical closer to the album too. Either way, glad we got them all, the complete 16 track project definitely feels fuller and more solid so it's the only version that's gonna live in my mind. Hope the next record is gonna be a true switch to something with clear direction rather than mixture of things she wants to try, but for now as a passionate Carly stan I am satisfied with what we got.

Edited by BlackoutZone

• ATRL Moderator
30 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

my rihview x

Hide contents

To say The Loneliest Time is a Carly Rae Jepsen album already sums it up more than any lengthy review. It's essentially a bit of everything she's given us throughout her entire career, for better or for worse. I remember about 2 years ago she said she might take a while to release the next project, cause she wants to try a different sound. And it seems like the trying started and ended with Western Wind. I was hoping the track would open the gates to new, more indie approach from Carly, but perhaps for now it was just her testing the waters while still settling for casual CRJ sound on rest of the album. Thankfully Carly remains a master of her own craft ready to bless us with more of what we love and the opening sequence is a proof of it. Surrender My Heart and Talking to Yourself are classic, bright, energetic bangers that could easily find their place on Kiss or Emotion. Joshua Tree is more cheeky, vibrant bass driven song, but also no less of a bop.

Far Away, a first solid favorite of mine is the closest to Western Wind we get elsewhere on the record. Even though supposedly untouched by Rostam it has very similar drum pattern and this time a far more rich and sparkly chorus. Cutesy Sideways continues the feel-good mid tempo section tickling a bit of Dedicated's Everything He Needs. This great streak ends with pretty dull Beach House, but the more I listen to the record the more I understand why it was picked as a single. Carly's songwriting has always been good, but her lyricism has often been corny or cringe-worthy and Beach House really highlights it. Luckily things take a great turn on the enchanting, beautiful Bends. The track is a rework of previously leaked Kiss-era song Sun on You, but pretty much all that's left of the original composition are the lyrics, both melody and production got fully revamped (for the better!). Western Wind, centerpiece - masterpiece, nothing more to add, so it's only disappointing its tracklist follow up is a lazily written, lackluster filler. Even with the pretty cool slightly funky production So Nice is uneventful and plain, lacking a distinctive chorus compromised with annoying male-vocal-led "la la la"s section instead. Carly finds herself loving those humming like sequences and unnamed male vocalists a bit too much lately. This misstep gets quickly compensated by Bad Thing Twice, another classic, lightly nostalgic poppy moment from the refreshed book of Emotion/Emotion Side B. It's not explosive enough to be a single, but hits just right to satisfy a true Jepsie. 

Shooting Star is an another track partially known to more dedicated fans aka another rework of a previously leaked demo called Disco Sweat, tied to a scrapped disco album of the same name Carly teased us with in the past. I think it's a good moment to let go of the infamous project, cause even though the track happened to "survive" through the years, it's neither reminiscent of the original version or the disco genre. Still it's a harmless addition to the album and a cute bop. Carly's vocals on it sound seemingly pitched or unusually high to me, it's a little bit jarring, but maybe that's just me. The Loneliest Time wouldn't be complete without a real, vulnerable ballad moment that is Go Find Yourself or Whatever. The longest song on the album floats mainly on simple acoustic guitar chords, but blossoms throughout to something of a stunning classic country piece. It reminds me of HAIM's Women in Music Pt. III which once again isn't a surprise as Rostam worked on them both. The album's title track and a standard edition closer is the true disco moment with beautiful strings, infectious groove and nostalgic melody. That's why I fail to see what was Carly's thought process of putting on it some completely insignificant guy she found on Shrek soundtrack just to drown her vocals in uncomfortable off-key squeaks. Once you get past that, it's a pretty good finale. 

At this point it's pretty clear the album is not very cohesive, not that it's messy - it's still entirely written by Carly in certain mindset, but shuffling these songs around wouldn't really change the overall reception so the focus should be on having as many clear highlights on as possible. To my surprise I happened to find a good chunk of them on the deluxe. All 3 bonus tracks are fantastic! Anxious is gonna be an instant fan-favorite. A shimmery dancefloor bliss with Carly's sensual vocals, thrilling electric production and catchy hook. A shame it's under 3 minutes, it could go on for much much longer. No Thinking Over the Weekend and Keep Away are both far slower moments, but both absolutely gorgeous and dreamy, could easily replace less exciting moments on the standard with Keep Away being a far more magical closer to the album too. Either way, glad we got them all, the complete 16 track project definitely feels fuller and more solid so it's the only version that's gonna live in my mind. Hope the next record is gonna be a true switch to something with clear direction rather than mixture of things she wants to try, but for now as a passionate Carly stan I am satisfied with what we got.

Thank you so much for this, seriously! Based on this description I think there’s going to be a lot for me to enjoy (with the potential of a couple tracks I don’t click with) which honestly has been my experience with Carly over the years 

59 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

my rihview x

Hide contents

Omg thank you for this! I cannot BELIEVE she reworked Sun On You, that’s one of my favorite unreleased Carly songs :smitten: Can’t wait to hear that one. You’ve properly gotten me hyped for this album!

So excited, WW is cute but I don't want her to abandon what she does so well which is highbrow pop bops.

"some completely insignificant guy she found on Shrek soundtrack"

I screamed! :deadbanana2:

The fact that two people mentioned Kiss makes my heart beat so fast. I missed Kiss’ Carly so much, I’m so looking forward to listen to those two tracks now :heart2:

Thank you BZ :jonny:

glad to hear it's like a mix of everything she's done.... i was expecting something rather indie pop'd and toned down. this might be a bit of an inconsistent album but im sure the highs will be great

ok im definitely satisfied with the info so far :duca:  i enjoy WW but i wasn’t thrilled with the idea of a full album of that, im glad there’s a healthy mix of classic Carly sounds on here. she doesn’t need to prove anything anymore nor should she fix what isn’t broken 

11 hours ago, scot954 said:

Interesting ? And the other songs ? Have you listened in full? 

4 hours ago, ZENO said:

The fact that two people mentioned Kiss makes my heart beat so fast. I missed Kiss’ Carly so much, I’m so looking forward to listen to those two tracks now :heart2:

2 hours ago, Scandalous said:

ok im definitely satisfied with the info so far :duca:  i enjoy WW but i wasn’t thrilled with the idea of a full album of that, im glad there’s a healthy mix of classic Carly sounds on here. she doesn’t need to prove anything anymore nor should she fix what isn’t broken 

i've listened to the whole album, yes, except for "Anxious" and "No Thinking Over the Weekend". nothing tops EMOTION for me, but I know Carly fans will love this album! mainly bc almost each song off this album reminds me of a song that could've been on a previous album of hers. almost like she took a compilation of B-sides from each album made it into a new album. you could literally add some of these songs to her previous works and it would flow perfectly. i mean that in a GOOD way, btw! her longtime fans will feel nostalgic and love it. :heart2:

Surrender My Heart - Kiss or EMOTION (same world as "This Kisss")

Joshua Tree - Dedicated Side B (same world as "Mona Lisa")

Talking to Yourself - Kiss (if you told me this was an unreleased Kiss song, I would've believed)

Far Away - Curiosity EP 

Sideways - Dedicated

Beach House - Dedicated Side B (same world as "Mona Lisa")

Bends - Tug of War

Western Wind - Idk, I think it's kind of it's own thing?

So Nice - Idk where I'd place this one either

Bad Thing Twice - Kiss or Emotion Side B

Shooting Star - Disco Sweat

Go Find Yourself or Whatever - Tug of War

The Loneliest Time - Dedicated

Keep Away - EMOTION (same world as "Never Get to Hold You")

4 hours ago, getfree2017 said:

WTF IS THIS, STEAMING CUMDUMP

An obvious joke that’s very embarrassing for you that you didn’t get :priceless:

How can one’s songwriting be good but their lyricism cringey? Is there a difference between the two that I don’t understand?

Edited by smoore95GAGA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.