Why do americans still use SMS and not WhatsApp?

Eóghan

I'm visiting some friends in Boston and I was shocked nobody used Whatsapp for their everyday messaging?

I haven't sent an SMS since 2010.

I mean I would understand if they used Kik, Snapchat, Messenger instead or iMessage (exclusive for apple gang), but not even. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Into The Void

• brazil

• magazine

• brenda-walsh

Wasn't whatsapp a thing in like 2010?

Why everybody suddenly loving it again? :skull:

Also, anyone should have unlimited SMS at this point, so why spend internet data + more battery?

7 minutes ago, magazine said:

Also, anyone should have unlimited SMS at this point, so why spend internet data + more battery?

In most parts of Europe WhatsApp wasn't a thing in 2010, but it has been the thing since 2010. Almost everybody has it by default. It's free (apart from data, but hey, it's just text messages if you want), you can group chat, you can send pictures, voice messages, locations, you can call each other without using minutes, and so on. Options are endless, yet the app is simple as hell. Actually surprised people would still use SMS, but I guess that just happens when you get used to something, lol

Edited by pavi

I think they use iMessage which is free between iPhones

4 minutes ago, pavi said:

In most parts of Europe WhatsApp wasn't a thing in 2010, but it has been the thing since 2010. Almost everybody has it by default. It's free (apart from data, but hey, it's just text messages if you want), you can send pictures, voice messages, locations, you can call each other without using minutes, and so on. Options are endless, yet the app is simple as hell. Actually surprised people would still use SMS, but I guess that just happens when you get used to something, lol

most of the world sis! 

8 minutes ago, pavi said:

In most parts of Europe WhatsApp wasn't a thing in 2010, but it has been the thing since 2010. Almost everybody has it by default. It's free (apart from data, but hey, it's just text messages if you want), you can group chat, you can send pictures, voice messages, locations, you can call each other without using minutes, and so on. Options are endless, yet the app is simple as hell. Actually surprised people would still use SMS, but I guess that just happens when you get used to something, lol

You can literally do all of that with SMS and for unlimited. Literally who has minutes in 2022? :rip: 

I have an unlimited texting plan. I don't know anyone that uses WhatsApp.

13 minutes ago, magazine said:

WhatsApp has been a thing SINCE 2010. I can't imagine using sms, though 

How am I supposed to send my funny personalized stickers 

• ATRL Moderator

I thought most of us used iMessage? most Americans have iPhones and we only use SMS when messaging non-iPhones, otherwise it's iMessage.

I know a lot of us use WhatsApp though. I mostly use iMessage and WhatsApp, and only the latter when I'm talking to my relatives in other countries (since I'm a 2nd gen immigrant)

Two reasons

1) Unlimited texting plans were the standard in the US unlike many parts of the world, so the jump to a free alternative wasn’t as necessary. 

2) iMessage. Since the iPhone market share is enormous (over 60% when in other countries it’s like 5-30% at best*), it covered the extra features for a lot of people (read receipts, media etc). 

*except for Japan where it’s also the majority 

21 minutes ago, magazine said:

lol what? Whatsapp has been the main messaging app for over a decade in most of the world...

Because why would I install another app on my phone when messaging and calls are free anyway? Who gets minute plans anymore?

I mainly use Discord for all communication. Even with my roommates and with my family. 

I don't know, my American friends use WhatsApp and we are in a group chat there sharing gifs and talk about random stuff

Because texting and calling are free in America??? :rip: 

I don’t use whatsapp except for work. iMess >>>

6 minutes ago, Michael196 said:

lol what? Whatsapp has been the main messaging app for over a decade in most of the world...

Pretty sure I remember using Whatsapp around 2010 and then everybody started switching to Messenger, Instagram, etc... :rip:

WhatsApp is the biggest app for messaging in the world. Americans just love to live in their own little cucoons. 

Yeah I think most people have unlimited texts so why not just use the phone’s regular texting system :skull: I do understand Whatsapp’s benefits so I have no problem with it but I just don’t care to use that. Only time I really do would be to send my parents pictures since it sends quicker (and they themselves use it more lol)

27 minutes ago, JustHoran said:

You can literally do all of that with SMS and for unlimited. Literally who has minutes in 2022? :rip:

You can? My standard text message app is really just text messages and nothing more! Are you sure you're not talking about iMessage or a similar app, which incorporates online messaging and sms in one app? This is how long I haven't used sms, don't even know what you can do with it, lol

Maybe minutes is also why this is different. A lot of people in Europe still have some maximum on their minutes/sms, while their data bundles are huge and cheap. I have 20gb of data monthly for just over ten euros. Unlimited data is getting more common too

Edited by pavi

They are so weird! whatsapp is the best (cloud storage for messages, stickers, video and voice calls, fast..etc) .

Imagine sending a group text using SMS or using iMessage's cringey emojis :skull:

I only use iMessage with 2 people, and Whatsapp with everyone else. Whatsapp is superior because of how easy it is to search things, especially files.

Since most of the people here iPhones it’s not as necessary iMessage does pretty much anything WhatsApp can do. I do use it for group chats that have galaxy people cause it’s easier. But like 97% of people I interact with have iPhones. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.