• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overprotected

• Julia Fox

• wish

• Touch It

ROUND 17: SLAM IT TO THE WEST (IF YOU'RE HAVING A GOOD TIME) SHAKE IT TO THE EAST (IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU FEEL FINE)

Rank the entries and send them to Overprotected through Discord

Excluding your own entries, rank from 1-8:

1. ex: Hot [BEST SONG]

2. ex: I Don't Have To Try [2ND BEST SONG]

8. ex: Keep Holding On [WORST SONG]

Alanis Morissette - Ironic

Tamia - So Into You

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending

Mitski - Your Best American Girl

Björk - Venus as a Boy

Erika de Casier - Better Than That

Rina Sawayama - Imagining

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You (stream here)

Erika de Casier - Busy

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss

SPOTIFY (Stream Joni on YT or AM :fewpoints:)

DEADLINE: SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25TH 10AM EST

@wish @Element @Lucky#17 @brycehooha @Touch It

brycehooha's critiques

(everyone ate.)

unknown.png?width=1116&height=663

Alanis Morissette - Ironic: oh i love this i wanna scream along this gives flashback to english classes 

Tamia - So Into You: like this genuinely one of the best songs ever made

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending: why did i not realize this was that song like im lowkey not the biggest avril fan but this is my JAM

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: my fave non be the cowboy song like it just goes so hard

Björk - Venus as a Boy: Love the instrumentals so much it has tough competition tho

Erika de Casier - Better Than That: yaaa im obsessed with her and this is one of my fave songs by her

Rina Sawayama - Imagining: one of my faves from new album rly like

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You: THE O CANADA PART LEGIT JUMP SCARED ME this is the only song in the entire list i dont like :sob: 

Erika de Casier - Busy: yaaa im obsessed with her and this is one of my fave songs by her [2]

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss: yeah shes mother this is just so good like her tone is out of this world 

mfC0qAo.gif

90s classic :clap3: loved watching the music video on VH1 before catching the bus for school 

Tamia - So Into You
This throwback smooth jam :jonny:  they don't make them like this anymore 

This song is tied to my adolescent years, my emo soundtrack days, my depression era, it's a classic

I like this but I'm not as familiar with it as most here, it's not bad at all tho

Björk - Venus as a Boy
Pretty good for a Bjork song tbh, idk what else to say, she's quirky

Top 3 Erika song :oprah1: there's just something so alluring about her music

It's so fresh, it's hard to rank among these more seasoned choices but I do like this

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You
This is a classic yes but not to me, the only Joni songs I really enjoy are River and Both Sides Now, she gets a little too shrill here for my eardrums

Erika de Casier - Busy
My favorite Erika song :oprah1: there's just something so alluring about her music [2]

She sounds so sweet and lovely, I love know oh oh part, very entrancing 

Alanis Morissette — Ironic

ff; The amount of English teachers I had growing up that would reference this song/cite it as one of the greatest of all-time :rip: I’ve never been as keen on it as many have, but it’s still a classic I enjoy.

Tamia — So Into You

I always knew of this song’s existence but never actually listened. It’s very nice!

Avril Lavigne — My Happy Ending

Passes the test with flying colors.

Mitski — Your Best American Girl

I can’t decide if this is the kind of dynamic that’s overbearing for me or JUST what I want for a round this high-stakes. Will do another pass of this as well. [1]

Björk — Venus as a Boy

The production on this is ssssooooo entrancing. Just… like… she was on another level with this1.

Erika de Casier — Better Than That

She’s got a very smooth voice & the production is very nice, but it’s a bit too lowkey for me for this round, if that makes sense.

Rina Sawayama — Imagining

I can’t decide if this is the kind of dynamic that’s overbearing for me or JUST what I want for a round this high-stakes. Will do another pass of this as well. [2]

Joni Mitchell — A Case of You

This is my first time listening to a song of hers & wow… her lyrics/delivery is just heart-wrenching. Pleasantly surprised a la Ethel’s song last round.

Erika de Casier — Busy

Packs a bit more of a punch compared to Better Than That.

Hikaru Utada — One Last Kiss

This has such euphoric qualities & great emotion. What a nice way to close the round off! Lemme save.

newjeans-hyein.gif

Alanis Morissette - Ironic: IT'S LIKE RAIIIIIIIN ON YOUR WEDDING DAY!!! this chorus always hits so hard, what an amazing song

Tamia - So Into You: have always loved this song a lot, it's really beautiful

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending: cute and nostalgic (the first time I heard this one was in 2018 tho but the song just has a nostalgic feel)

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: oh one of my favorite songs ever (and my favorite mitski song), this is what got me into her and the explosive chorus always gags me

Björk - Venus as a Boy: this is really nice and beautiful, not one of my bjork favs but it's still an amazing song!

Erika de Casier - Better Than That: this whole album is full of amazing songs and this is one of the best on it!! (busy outsold but u still ate hard)

Rina Sawayama - Imagining: my fav on HTG other than title track! this song is so fun and it's a classic rina song (if you think otherwise you're just brainwashed by the current rina hate train when this would've fit into sawayama thank you)

Joni Mitchell: A Case of You: no offense to you or Joni but this was boring, kinda pretty but for this type of round noooo

Erika de Casier - Busy: one of the best songs of all time LIKEE MONDAY UP AT SIX TAKE MY VITAMINS THEN I MEDITATE AND DO MY SKINCARE ROUTINE we love you erika

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kissvery gorgeous and nice! I prefer other songs by her but this is still nice!

wishtie's critiques <3

amazing chorus & bridge, verses don’t grip me as much but i still really do enjoy this song

Tamia - So Into You

yesss omg :heart: just perfect. i’ve loved this song forever... so smooth & lovely

one of my favorite avril songs for sure, huge pop-rock classic!!

an all-time faveeee :jonny: SUCH a beautiful emotive song, sounds amazing live too

Björk - Venus as a Boy

when the weird girl writes a classic love song :smitten: i LOVE this. what a sweet, romantic, and one-of-a-kind track

loveee erika :heart2: this is a strong album track! it has some unique production that i appreciate

new rina just isn’t hitting as hard but this is DEFF a good one. sounds a lot like kill v maim though, derivative almost?

oh woww yes :cries: this is a gorgeous, timeless classic that i really didn’t expect to see here

Erika de Casier - Busy

such a BIG BOPPP, might be my favorite from sensational like whew :loud:

this is the only song i didn’t know prior to the round. it’s quite pretty, i enjoyed this & saved it!

---

such amazing entries this round, we all ateeee :jonny:

spacer.png

Alanis Morissette - Ironic - There were some moments that were really good vocally, overall it was pretty okay, I like it but there are better songs in this lineup for me personally. 

Tamia - So Into You - :jonny5::jonny5: such a beautiful song! UGH! This is one of my fav songs of that era. R&B excellence! Huge points from me bestie! Vocally strong and quite smooth with lush production! Excellent choice, one of my fav submissions of the season! :heart2:

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending - It's a nice song definitely, I just have a bigger attachment with other songs here but it's objectively good. 

Mitski - Your Best American Girl - This was okay, I like it but I don't love it, there were some interesting parts though. 

Björk - Venus as a Boy - This is probably the best Bjork song I've ever heard, the production is stunning. I really like it, let me save it. She sounds really good vocally here too. 

Erika de Casier - Better Than That - One of the best songs of 2021! This album deserved Grammys!! Pure excellence :jonny5::jonny5: The production is perfection and the smooth vocals add to the beauty. Pop infused R&B done right! :gaycatina1:

Rina Sawayama - Imagining - Oh the production on this sound is quite interesting, it definitely was entertaining, I still need to listen to this full album. 

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You - Lyrically and vocally this is a very beautiful song, sonically it's not my favourite but I do like it, her vocals make this great. Usually artists that make this style of music have weak vocals but her strong vocals make me a fan. 

Erika de Casier - Busy - :katie2::jonny5: yaaaaaaaass Erika queen! Busy is definitely top 5 of Sensational, just overall an amazing song. I really wish she got more recognition with this project but I guess hidden gems are also essential so! Strong submission! :sats:

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss - Wow this was really good, a strong close to this round! I saved this song, production and vocals were nice. 

oCtQpvu.gif

Coming late for once </3

Alanis Morissette - Ironic: The way none of this fits with traditional examples of irony, but the fact that it deviates from what you would expect of irony makes the song ironic entirely, she's a genius... anyways really nice, the bridge is my favorite part with however she's singing there idk but I like it, and the chorus is obviously a classic and catchy, but I do like it less as the years go by

Tamia - So Into You: Omg I've never heard this before. It's soooo pretty and is stuck in my head now wow

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending: I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! A childhood classic, it's so emotive and pop rock done perfectly, she just did everything right here

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: The noisy parts and the chorus are the highlights for sure, and her vocals in those parts compliment the song well. A slight classic

Björk - Venus as a Boy: Never been much of a Debut fan, I think a lot of the production on this album suffers from being of its time in a way none of her other albums do. This is probably the best song on it though - her vocals are pleasant and the melody is a little whimsical 

Erika de Casier - Better Than That: A hit, still obsessed with the way it flows, both relaxing and danceable which is cool

Rina Sawayama - Imagining: Okay... now is not the time for me to write an essay defending this album even though I want to. But Rina is a genius and this song is incredible. The edited vocals in the verses (best part of the song):WAP: the industrial influence, whewwww banger

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You: Love the lyrics :heart2: not my favorite here but a good and unexpected choice regardless!

Erika de Casier - Busy: Either this or What U Wanna Do is her best song, it's garage done RIGHT :jonny2: there's a slight anxiousness here that gives it a punch and makes it a teensy bit better... (than) Better Than That!

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss: I seriously cannotttt get into her, I've heard three albums by her now and nothing grabs me at all, neither does this, sorry :weeps:

• ATRL Moderator

Wow def a song that I used to love on the radio as a kid. The lyrics were so intriguing to me! I remember in like 5th grade answering a test question that was "provide an example of irony"... and I used the free ride when you've already paid example.... and my teacher said it wasn't an example of irony??? Very rude tbh

Tamia - So Into You

Really love this. Rich vocals and equal parts catchy/comforting  -- an excellent R&B track.

Whew this classic. It still packs a punch many years later! The drama, the emotion. A slay.

This is a cool song! I think her voice fits really well with the production and builds a memorable atmosphere.

Björk - Venus as a Boy

Hmmmm.... I have to admit that I'm not a big Bjork fan. This def has some interesting elements, but ultimately I wouldn't revisit it.

Why did she have to snap so hard on Sensational?? I absolutely love the chill electro-R&B vibes.

This and Your Age are probably my favorite songs on Hold the Girl!! Title track slays too. I am really liking the production and melody on this. It's so chaotic and catchy. Big fan!

Certainly an unexpected artist to see in VL especially so late! There were parts that were nice, but other parts that were a bit shrill/loud for me.

Erika de Casier - Busy

bitchhhhhhh this is like my #2 most played song of the decade :jonnycat:  you pandered successfully

Very pretty! I felt like floating away. Her vocals are *chef's kiss*

8Y6jc0j.gif

Ohhhhh, so this is that song! I really like this. Especially the acoustic guitars are giving such a nostalgic late 90s vibe. Very nice pick

Tamia - So Into You

Right off the bat, the instrumental is beauuuutiful. I love how smooth yet incredibly melodic that chorus is. This is my first time listening, I love this

When I saw she was banned I thought of a specific song that I wanted… and you got it! This is extremely mostalgic and it’s probably my favorite Avril single ever

It’s a cute song but I don’t think it holds up against these monsters. I really like the instrumental, but I find her voice to be pretty uninteresting 

Björk - Venus as a Boy

This is so beautiful and ethereal. I love the instrumental and her delivery. Like everything works perfectly here, it’s very entrancing

I love this song soooo much. There’s a great mix between sassiness and vulnerability. That instrumental is just insane. Amazing song

I admit she is very talented but I have never connected with her music to be honest. As for this song, the verses are kinda weak in my opinion but that chorus is very Charli’d so I stan that part

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You (stream here)

This is quite a beautiful song. I feel like it stands out on this playlist for being very lowkey, and that might not be a good thing. I really liked it, though, I might add it to my fall playlist

Erika de Casier - Busy

This is a bop, it has never been a favorite of mine from the album to be honest. But it’s fun and a good time!

Some production elements were really interesting. I loved how synthy it sounded during the second chorus. It’s a nice song, I don’t find it very memorable though :(

7DokJRx.gif

Alanis Morissette - Ironic: everyone knows this is probably the weakest single from JLP, but still very good nonetheless

Tamia - So Into You: ahh she's from my hometown, I love this personal classic

Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending: I'm surprised this has never been sent :eek: it's great

Mitski - Your Best American Girl: this is sweet and cute and understated but it's not one of my absolute faves here

Björk - Venus as a Boy: this is absolutely one of her best songs ever, like wowww the production is amazing

Erika de Casier - Better Than That: love the vibes on this songs so much, she really did a great job here

Rina Sawayama - Imagining: this Charli-lite noise, I don't care for it much during the chorus

Joni Mitchell - A Case of You: it's nice, it's not one of my faves from Joni though…

Erika de Casier - Busy: I used to find this kinda annoying, one of my least faves from this album but it's grown on me a lot; I still find the bridge corny as hell

Hikaru Utada - One Last Kiss: such a lovely dreamy mood that is set by this song, I think I heard it in ASC before and I like it more now

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.