The Little Mermaid (2023) | Makes a BIG streaming splash on Disney+ | 16M views! 🫧🐚

V$.

26 minutes ago, Buffy said:

I’m confused. Why are some saying Ariel is from Denmark? I thought she’s from under the sea. 

14 minutes ago, touchofmyhand said:

Racists will say anything, even if they have to make themselves look foolish. :rip: 

Disney's The Little Mermaid is based on a fairy tale written by a Danish author. There's even a statue of The Little Mermaid in Denmark that's like 100 years old :skull:

Why should a Dane not represent the main character of a Danish Story? Does representation not matter?

Edited by flower moon

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• Lovett

• Aethereal

• chosensparkles

The animated film also has a singing, dancing Jamaican crab and a villain based on a drag queen but you don't see anyone whining those elements aren't accurate to Denmark. :coffee:

Racists just outing themselves :gaycat2:

14 minutes ago, flower moon said:

Disney's The Little Mermaid is based on a fairy tale written by a Danish author. There's even a statue of The Little Mermaid in Denmark that's like 100 years old :skull:

Why should a Dane not represent the main character of a Danish Story? Does representation not matter?

Jodi Benson isn’t Danish, yet y’all never moved back then.

The only reason this is suddenly a problem is because people will reach for reasons to discredit a black actress portraying Ariel. Moreover, Disney’s adaptation is only loosely based on the fairytale and never mentions Denmark. Ariel is a fish in Atlantica. Her race is of no importance to the story.

Also, do you realize black people live in Denmark? :rip: The amount of fallacies you’re putting on display is astounding.

It’s been years since Halle was cast as Ariel. She already cleared her check. It’s time to let it go.

Edited by touchofmyhand

1 hour ago, flower moon said:

you guys would be singing a different song if this was a story from africa or asia (for example) in an "unspecified location" with a european set as a lead lol

Why do racists always post the DUMBEST and most illogical takes, thinking they're valid arguments? :deadbanana2: I'm surprised you didn't say "you guys would be singing a different tune if it was a a Tina Turner biopic and they cast someone white lol".

She's a mermaid that lives under the sea. It's not set in a real place, amongst communities with specific races. It's in a FICTIONAL UNDER WATER WORLD. Why on earth would you think that was a good argument? :skull: I swear to god racism just rots people's brains. :toofunny3:

16 minutes ago, slik said:

The animated film also has a singing, dancing Jamaican crab and a villain based on a drag queen but you don't see anyone whining those elements aren't accurate to Denmark. :coffee:

Racists just outing themselves :gaycat2:

And the film shot in Sardinia ITALY but you don't see posts about that being an issue

The racists in this thread... 

:clown: :clown::clown:

2 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

Why do racists always post the DUMBEST and most illogical takes, thinking they're valid arguments? :deadbanana2: I'm surprised you didn't say "you guys would be singing a different tune if it was a a Tina Turner biopic and they cast someone white lol".

Or “B-b-but what if they were to cast a white person to portray Mulan or Tiana!!!!1”

:toofunny3:

2 minutes ago, touchofmyhand said:

Jodi Benson isn’t Danish, yet y’all never moved back then.

The only reason this is suddenly a problem is because people will reach for reasons to discredit a black actress portraying Ariel. Moreover, Disney’s adaptation is only loosely based on the fairytale and never mentions Denmark. Ariel is a fish in Atlantica. Her race is of no importance to the story.

Also, do you realize black people live in Denmark? :rip: The amount of fallacies you’re putting on display is astounding.

It’s been years since Halle was cast as Ariel. She already cleared her check. It’s time to let it go.

1 minute ago, MrLovett said:

She's a mermaid that lives under the sea. It's not set in a real place, amongst communities with specific races. It's in a FICTIONAL UNDER WATER WORLD. Why on earth would you think that was a good argument? :skull: I swear to god racism just rots people's brains. :toofunny3:

Huh? Who is trying to discredit anyone?
I've only been specifying where the story originates and why it makes sense people would think she was Danish. :skull:

Where did I say Halle shouldn't have been cast?

Just now, flower moon said:

Huh? Who is trying to discredit anyone?
I've only been specifying where the story originates and why it makes sense people would think she was Danish. :skull:

Where did I say Halle shouldn't have been cast?

Except nobody thinks she's Danish, because the story isn't set in Denmark. In either the original Disney film, or the new version they're adapting. You're also trying to insinuate that there are no black people in Denmark, which is also false.

So you can miss us with your thinly veiled racism. :)

The Lion King is based on Hamlet and literally no one whined the Lion wasn't a Danish Prince because that would be stupid

The racism is jumping out over this fictional mermaid from a fictional setting and this actress of color

This best be good because i was obsessed with The Little Mermaid growing up.

Except nobody thinks she's Danish, because the story isn't set in Denmark. In either the original Disney film, or the new version they're adapting. You're also trying to insinuate that there are no black people in Denmark, which is also false.

So you can miss us with your thinly veiled racism. :)

It's the origin of the story I've been talking about :)  of which many people for a long time had assumed where the story was based.
I never had a problem with how she's being represented by Disney. Only with posts in here.

1 minute ago, flower moon said:

It's the origin of the story I've been talking about :)  of which many people for a long time had assumed where the story was based.
I never had a problem with how she's being represented by Disney. Only with posts in here.

It's funny how you care about the specificity of the original story when a black woman is cast in the role, but you don't appear to have an issue with the rest of the cast not being Danish. :) Again, nobody assumed the story is based in Denmark. They assumed it was based in a fictional underwater kingdom.

Also, I don't care what racists have a problem with.

Just now, MrLovett said:

It's funny how you care about the specificity of the original story when a black woman is cast in the role, but you don't appear to have an issue with the rest of the cast not being Danish. :) Again, nobody assumed the story is based in Denmark. They assumed it was based in a fictional underwater kingdom.

Also, I don't care what racists have a problem with.

People cared a whole heap when scarjo was cast in Ghost in a Shell. A fictional work. Obviously a lot care about origin of stories. :)

I don't care specifically about Disney's casting. Only about people ignorant of where this comes from even, tho its fictional.

The race of the character is obiously irrelevant to the plot/setting and anyone could play Ariel in an adaptation of the story.

I think the issue here is that Ariel has been portrait, by Disney themselves, to look completely different for DECADES. Movies, spin offs, theme parks, toys, merchandise and much more. Them casting a black girl for a live action of it out of nowhere feels very forced and a lame attempt at woke points. What they gonna do moving forward, plaster a black face on the millions of Ariel merchandise being sold every year? :deadbanana:

Had a different studio made their own adaptation of the classic story in which they casted a black girl it would've been a different story. But from Disney it feels ingenuine and exploitative. Not to mention, a company with so much money and resources should focus on creating new, interesting stories instead of riding the coattails of old established IPs.

Regardless, I'm excited to see Halle do the role and I'm sure she will nail the soundtrack, she has the perfect sublime tone for it :jonny:

People cared a whole heap when scarjo was cast in Ghost in a Shell. A fictional work. Obviously a lot care about origin of stories. :)

I don't care specifically about Disney's casting. Only about people ignorant of where this comes from even, tho its fictional.

Jesus Christ, why are you still coming up with the dumbest attempts at an argument? People were mad that a specifically Japanese character, in a story specifically set in Japan, was cast as a white woman. Her character was called Motoko Kusanagi ffs. :toofunny3: How is that remotely comparable to a mermaid, set in an underwater fictional kingdom, that at no point has any relation to her race?

The only thing you care about is Disney's casting of a black woman in a role that was originally drawn as white. She was also drawn completely different to the source material because you know... it's an adaptation. You don't care about the cast being Danish, because none of them are - yet you only take issue with the black woman in the cast. Shocking.

Again, you can miss me with your thinly veiled racism.

Jesus Christ, why are you still coming up with the dumbest attempts at an argument? People were mad that a specifically Japanese character, in a story specifically set in Japan, was cast as a white woman. Her character was called Motoko Kusanagi ffs. :toofunny3: How is that remotely comparable to a mermaid, set in an underwater fictional kingdom, that at no point has any relation to her race?

The only thing you care about is Disney's casting of a black woman in a role that was originally drawn as white. She was also drawn completely different to the source material because you know... it's an adaptation. You don't care about the cast being Danish, because none of them are - yet you only take issue with the black woman in the cast. Shocking.

Again, you can miss me with your thinly veiled racism.

LOL Ariel is based off the original The Little Mermaid which was written in Denmark almost 200 years ago. Do you really think a white man in the 1800's was writing about an African American woman? How are you NOT seeing the similarities?

The only thing you care about is ignoring what I've stated I care about in order to accuse me of racism as if I've have had any problem with Disney's casting.

LOL Ariel is based off the original The Little Mermaid which was written in Denmark almost 200 years ago. Do you really think a white man in the 1800's was writing about an African American woman? How are you NOT seeing the similarities?

The only thing you care about is ignoring what I've stated I care about in order to accuse me of racism as if I've have had any problem with Disney's casting.

I wonder if the white man in the 1800's was thinking about the drag queen Ursula was based on. Or the singing Jamaican crab. Who knows. Bet he'd be glad his racism is still alive and well in you though! :heart2:

For a person who supposedly doesn't have an issue with Disney's casting, you've sure made a lot of posts complaining about it.

3 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I wonder if the white man in the 1800's was thinking about the drag queen Ursula was based on. Or the singing Jamaican crab. Who knows. Bet he'd be glad his racism is still alive and well in you though! :heart2:

For a person who supposedly doesn't have an issue with Disney's casting, you've sure made a lot of posts complaining about it.

I doubt it. But no one in here was questioning those things/their origin so why would I be posting about them.

I didn't really but you clearly like to see what you want to see. :heart:

I doubt it. But no one in here was questioning those things/their origin so why would I be posting about them.

I didn't really but you clearly like to see what you want to see. :heart:

I tend to see racism when someone so openly states it. :coffee2: I'm glad Halle's casting has made you so uncomfortable.

4 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I tend to see racism when someone so openly states it. :coffee2: I'm glad Halle's casting has made you so uncomfortable.

No one here's uncomfortable with her casting. Another thing you've "seen" ... :celestial:

Looking forward to watching this :heart:

2 hours ago, flower moon said:

well what you stated was nonsense so ofc people will ignore it. You literally compared a talking half human half fish to characters from GITS. You’re walking like a racist and quacking like a racist, so naturally people will think you are a racist. All of this over a fairytale (which you need to google, maybe that will help you)

Not the racists still coming out complaining about the most trivial things and playing “what if” with themselves :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.