Is the LGBTQIA+ community starting to lose cis female allies?

IBeMe

I know there were always homophobic women out and about but the sacred bond and allieship between cis women and LGBTQ+ people seems to be shaking and sort of crumbling these past few years. I see a lot of people who deem themselves to be women activists and on the left turning on gays and trans ppl....Is this due to ppl thinking LGBTQIA+ people are occupying too much space and perhaps some women feel as though that is a threat or is it just a reflection of the social justice movement shifting in a new direction? 

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by IBeMe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tropez

• Cain

• IBeMe

• Cloudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Sacred bond? One of the biggest opponents of gay men was a woman. Who was one of the people calling HIV a gay disease during the 80s. 

There is no bond, there never was a bond. Not only that, gay men have been shown time and time again to be very misogynistic. So please tell me where is this bond you speak of? 

17 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

Is this due to LGBTQIA+ people occupying too much space

Yes we've completely taken over after getting all the rights we wanted and now have the power to overtrhow straight peo- oh wait

Gay men are still men who need to check themselves regularly for  misogyny. If they don't ofc women will turn away sooner than later.

17 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

Is this due to LGBTQIA+ people occupying too much space

Huh? So cisgendered heteros are opressed?:psyduck:

yall love straight women a bit too much :rip: most of them don't **** with us at all, we should stick to eachother

4 minutes ago, Cain said:

Yes we've completely taken over after getting all the rights we wanted and now have the power to overtrhow straight peo- oh wait

4 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

Gay men are still men who need to check themselves regularly for  misogyny. If they don't ofc women will turn away sooner than later.

Huh? So cisgendered heteros are opressed?:psyduck:

meant to say *ppl perceive us as having too much space (obviously we don't)

I genuinely haven’t seen anyone shifting their stance on the gay community specifically. I see a lot of differing viewpoints regarding the trans community however. 

If they’re “lost” then they were never an “ally” to begin with.

I always thought the concept of ally was nonsense. Such a loosely defined term that can either mean they say “yass” to every twink they see and put rainbow glitter on their titties or they participate in their local mutual aid group that provides help to the Unhoused ppl in their community, of which some are lgbtq... Liberalism in the gay movement has destroyed what being an “ally” means in the same way that they’ve destroyed the radical roots of queer liberation and the stonewall movement. 

Edited by Gov Hooka

Straight woman are, in general, less agressive towards gay community than straight man. It has always been like that and it'll keep being like that.

But they were never THAT MUCH of a ally, they're just less worse than straight man. 

i have a lot of female straight friends and they're awesome and very lgbtqia+ supportive

but in general they're just less bad than straight man, not exactly a big ally. 

2 minutes ago, Keter said:

I genuinely haven’t seen anyone shifting their stance on the gay community specifically. I see a lot of differing viewpoints regarding the trans community however. 

This, and non-binary.

My cis female bff’s can be very transphobic.

Just because folk don’t understand trans and non-binary people (yet), doesn’t mean they’re all of a sudden going to hate gays.  I don’t see the correlation between gays and trans to be honest. 

Well we have some LGBT+ people here defending JK Rowling you tell me. 

Yes due to trans rights coming hard and fast. Ciswomen are starting to feel like the focus on transwomen is yet another way for men to get attention and is the inevitable erasure of biological women. Don’t shoot me, I’m just a messenger. I am in female dominated spaces a lot and hear what they say. 

I am sure I am not the only one who felt like this year’s pride was far less celebrated and acknowledged compared to others. And I think it was by design. 

Edited by Pleighboy

And let’s not act as if transphobia and non-binary hate isn’t rampant within the gay community as well…

It’s not just the straights putting them down. 

14 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

meant to say *ppl perceive us as having too much space (obviously we don't)

Ok that's true. I'm convinced tho that the homo- and transphobia those people are now expressing louder everyday has always been there. With the growing visibility of the trans-community and transrights becoming more and more mainstream, those people fight back like reactionary people do. But they didn't become this way in the last few years, the roots habe always been there.

19 minutes ago, Kimi said:

yall love straight women a bit too much :rip: most of them don't **** with us at all, we should stick to eachother

Or maybe all genders can work together on a friendly basis? Why is that so hard I wonder. Avoiding women won't be the solution:rip:

4 minutes ago, Selegend said:

Straight woman are, in general, less agressive towards gay community than straight man. It has always been like that and it'll keep being like that.

But they were never THAT MUCH of a ally, they're just less worse than straight man. 

i have a lot of female straight friends and they're awesome and very lgbtqia+ supportive

but in general they're just less bad than straight man, not exactly a big ally. 

How many cishet "ally" women have intruded on queer spaces and treated regular queer people living their lives as entertainment like some kind of zoo?

How many cishet women have co-opted cultural products of queer people of color(slang, music, etc), only to then label gays problematic for "copying" them? Some cisgender straight women people stan on this forum have tried to COPYRIGHT this stuff.

How many mothers have sent their children to conversion therapy?

Certain women might not be as likely to publicly use hate speech, but they are capable of being every bit as aggressive as their male counterparts.

OT: What a doctor assigns you at birth doesn't make you any more or less likely to be an ally. It never has.

starting to? :toofunny3:

yep. we as a community need to tone it down instead ramping it up to the extremes. it only pushes allies and those on the fence away

Do you blame them? Look how gays are misogynistic, women need to put homosexuals back in check. They got too brave, too quick in recent times. Gays used to uplift women, now all they do is leave "FLOP, FAT, TANKED, UGLY, B*TCH, STUPID" on their social medias. Mind you, these are the allies who fought for our rights decades ago and now get this. You don't have to like Gaga, Madonna, Janet, Katy, Nelly, Kelly, P!nk, Rihanna, Cyndi, Paula, Ava, Beyonce, Dido, Ashanti, Ellie, Marina, Charli, Lorde put you will put some RESPECT to their name.

I know it is not a popular opinion but if cis women were any better than cis men we would have been in a different world.

Cis women are not a minority, they are almost half of the world population.

Not really.

This year trans and non-binary issues have taken the main focus on the lgbtq+ community and most people won’t agree with it.

There has been a huge backlash on pride this year, I’ve seen a lot more hate online than in the last few years, there’s definitely more homophobia than usual

It is surprising also how some people can’t differentiate between gay, trans and non-binary

Some people group it as the same thing :ahh: 

Specially in latin america we’re there’s still a lot of religious freaks all over

cis females were and will NEVER be allies :toofunny3:

Yes. I’m returning my feminist card. They’re on their own now.

1 hour ago, Tropez said:

Sacred bond? One of the biggest opponents of gay men was a woman. Who was one of the people calling HIV a gay disease during the 80s. 

There is no bond, there never was a bond. Not only that, gay men have been shown time and time again to be very misogynistic. So please tell me where is this bond you speak of? 

40 minutes ago, Century said:

How many cishet "ally" women have intruded on queer spaces and treated regular queer people living their lives as entertainment like some kind of zoo?

How many cishet women have co-opted cultural products of queer people of color(slang, music, etc), only to then label gays problematic for "copying" them? Some cisgender straight women people stan on this forum have tried to COPYRIGHT this stuff.

How many mothers have sent their children to conversion therapy?

Certain women might not be as likely to publicly use hate speech, but they are capable of being every bit as aggressive as their male counterparts.

OT: What a doctor assigns you at birth doesn't make you any more or less likely to be an ally. It never has.

Gay men or at least feminine gay men have it 10x worse than straight white women. 

As for gay's misogyny, many of the straight ally women fetishy gay men as feminine clowns and bad mouth bisexual man as disgusting and not manly enough for them. That needs to be said. 

And aside from abortion both sexes have their own advantages and disadvantages. 

Edited by Aristotle

• ATRL Moderator

I feel like a small portion of women think LGBT are fighting against them in some sort of oppression Olympics, and think fighting against other marginalized groups is the best way to get their own support.  

I think most straight women have issues with trans women mostly because of the generation that was raised by tumblr/twitter do too much online but are ok with regular gay men and lesbians.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.