Is the anime industry over?

bocelli

3 minutes ago, Young Volcanoes said:

Yeah, I think most of the Westerners who used to be invested in anime and made it popular moved on to different things. It's quite embarrassing for a grown adult or even a teenager to say they enjoy anime nowadays due to the negative connotations the name carries.

… where do you people live because i need to avoid whatever area yall have grown up in. I know attorneys, doctors, accountants who post anime related stuff all the time. No one cares if you watch anime like no one cares if you watch breaking bad. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ProudLBS

• bocelli

• Katamari

• Gorjesspazze9

1 hour ago, bocelli said:

I feel like in the past few years the genre has lost a lot of hype and new anime shows arent as big as they used to be??

The Jujutsu Kaisen film that came out last year made $189 million at the box office making it the 6th highest grossing animated film of all time. In the US, it is the fourth highest grossing anime film of all time. Even further, the Demon Slayer film which came out in 2021 is the second highest grossing anime film in the US of all time, and the highest grossing anime film of all time period worldwide with $454 million at the worldwide box office. Anime is quite literally making more money now than it ever has. 

Edited by Mr. Mendes

26 minutes ago, MJHolland said:

No lol it was bigger when it first became mainstream, now there’s just a lot more kids 

more like teens. MyHero and DemonSlayer are Worldwide Phenomenon. it's not just kids, they aren't buying merchandise or movie tickets these series are record breaking and selling as well as one piece. 

4 minutes ago, omni said:

It's probably because you grew out of it so you have no idea of what is big nowadays

also this. a lot of anime we grew up on has nostalgia attached to it. a lot of new anime fans/fandoms don't know much anime pre-2007. 

• ATRL Moderator

No one was ever able to make an anime better than Death Note I fear.

But it's still popular.

Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen and My Hero have all left Boruto in the dust.

The new Dragon Ball Super movie will gross over 100M+ when it comes out later this year sis. Anime is more mainstream than ever

fbgwpsO.gif

3 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Demon Slayer was literally the highest grossing movie of 2020 & the last season was one of the most hyped & watched all over :rip:

This. And you also have Jujutsu Kaisen slaying and though on its final leg, AoT remains iconic.

3 hours ago, ProudLBS said:

everything seemed bigger back then cause everyone watched the same shows :rip:

Exactly this. I don't think the interest for anime is getting smaller but back in the day we who lived in non asian countries didn't have much options other than the ones they showed on tv. Now, with the internet and streaming, people have access to all sorts of anime from the most successful ones to the smaller ones and because of that we don't have a "huge" anime like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon or Digimon anymore. And that's amazing because now we can appreciate all sorts of animes instead of only having that shonen nonsense

fbgwpsO.gif

you just grew out of it.

Anime is now more mainstream now than ever. 

I'm not following any new shows these days but I see One Piece, Naruto, and even Sailor Moon merch plastered at so many shops...even more so than back in  their "peaks" when I followed them.

oh its far from over, during the pandemic there was actually a revival and now many animes are being added to netflix worldwide due to public demand 

Yes, p*dos ruined it. 

6 hours ago, Young Volcanoes said:

It's quite embarrassing for a grown adult or even a teenager to say they enjoy anime nowadays due to the negative connotations the name carries.

The amount of money flowing in anime comic cons and merchandise flying everywhere begs to differ. The niche audience for anime has a LOT of money to spend and truth be told they never cared about how society perceives them. 

OT: No. it’s super profitable considering it’s relatively cheap to make and sells like candy, it even promotes itself via the internet. 

Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, and MHA are still here so no 

7 hours ago, Jooj said:

The new Dragon Ball Super movie will gross over 100M+ when it comes out later this year sis. Anime is more mainstream than ever

fbgwpsO.gif

A "Rock music as a genre is still relevant because the Rolling Stones can still sell out stadiums" tea

fbgwpsO.gif'

8 hours ago, Young Volcanoes said:

Yeah, I think most of the Westerners who used to be invested in anime and made it popular moved on to different things. It's quite embarrassing for a grown adult or even a teenager to say they enjoy anime nowadays due to the negative connotations the name carries.

uh....where? it's more normal than ever, as an adult, to say you watch anime. :rip:

Y'all must be children or something, because saying you watched anime back in the 2000's was basically branding yourself with a scarlet letter :rip:

1 minute ago, fauxtography said:

uh....where? it's more normal than ever, as an adult, to say you watch anime. :rip:

Y'all must be children or something, because saying you watched anime back in the 2000's was basically branding yourself with a scarlet letter :rip:

how back into the 2000s are we talking here, cus this is giving 40 year old boomer vibes

fbgwpsO.gif

8 hours ago, hausofdave said:

Demon Slayer was literally the highest grossing movie of 2020 & the last season was one of the most hyped & watched all over :rip:

@bocelli 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I stopped watching anime many years ago but now and then a show has enough of a pop culture impact that I check it out - Demon Slayer and One Punch Man come to mind. I know about My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan too just through osmosis 

hell no, it hasn't even hit its peak yet

+ with best mangas of new generation being adapted such as Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man and others it will keep growing and keep attracting new, young fans

Edited by Flomik

22 minutes ago, GotMyBlueprint said:

how back into the 2000s are we talking here, cus this is giving 40 year old boomer vibes

fbgwpsO.gif

I was in elementary, middle school, and a year of high school in the 2000s and it was never cool to like anime. :emofish: 

Castlevania, sweetie I'm so sorry. 

Castlevania_Netflix_Season_3_Poster-buff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.