If you believe in an eternal soul does the thought of living forever scare you?

ANTIclimatic

Just the thought of being around forever and never knowing silence creeps me out. How bout you?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Trent W

• ANTIclimatic

• Buffy

• John Slayne

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not really, following spiritual theories we are supposed to be in a dimension were time is a human man made concept.

In other dimensions or spiritual realms there is no time, just present moment. So linear time is what is weird in reality.

And if we really analyze it, present is the only real thing, past and future are really illusion.

Idk, I would love to see how the world and humanity will develop in hundreds, thousands and millions of years, their lifestyle, what technologies they will have etc

But sooner or later I might get bored but in that case since I'm a soul I can just travel in space for some time where it's complete silence, relax and come back

One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that we stop existing after death.

Death is not a human exclusive phenomenon. Animals die. Plants die. Even unicellular organisms die. They all are not going to have souls. So why should we the exception?

One of my favorite moments EVER is when I finally slept after not sleeping for 3 days. It was heavenly. I expect the final moments of my life to feel the same as this. Blissful, Unaware, Sweet Release from EVERYTHING.

2 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

Death is not a human exclusive phenomenon. Animals die. Plants die. Even unicellular organisms die. They all are not going to have souls. So why should we the exception?

One of my favorite moments EVER is when I finally slept after not sleeping for 3 days. It was heavenly. I expect the final moments of my life to feel the same as this. Blissful, Unaware, Sweet Release from EVERYTHING.

Perfectly said.

The thought of reincarnation scares me more, imagine having to live over and over again without having any memory of your past lives

No one knows, but personally, just the thought of being unable to escape myself even after death sounds ******* awful

This is a really interesting question for a thread. Great job OP! 

I am honestly not sure what I believe in. The concept of life after death is something that will forever be a question to all of us. We cannot know for sure what happens to us after. We know what happens to our physical body but the very idea of there being "nothing" is so confusing to fathom for the human brain, while we are alive there is always "something". 

Death is an incredibly scary thing and it is coming for all of us, with no exceptions. Some sooner, some later. We see it happening all around us. Personally I think that there is something out there after we go. I am not a religious person by any means and I always try to lean on logical and scientific explanations for everything but the idea that the universe, everything we know and don't know yet came from nothing and will turn into nothing again is just too confusing to be true to me. 

To answer your question, if there is an eternal soul after death and we do move on to another plane of existence where we remain forever. I don't think that would be that much of a scary thing, I think our essence would adapt to the circumstances or maybe even start perceiving time completely differently than we do now. Maybe forever isn't that long actually and everything is happening at an incredible speed. 

There has to be something in my opinion, we just don't have the ability to understand what it exactly is. 

:gaycat6:

Edited by mystery

The thought of ceasing to exist scares the **** out of me, but I truly believe that is what death is and the fear of it has lead people to want to believe that there is some form of life after death. 

No, being with God aka Jesus and angels doesn't scare me :heart:

18 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

1 minute ago, TaggedGalaxy said:

The thought of ceasing to exist scares the **** out of me, but I truly believe that is what death is and the fear of it has lead people to want to believe that there is some form of life after death. 

I agree. I don’t think there’s anything after death. People created these theories and ideologies to give hope and to deal with loss (“he’s in a better place!!”)

Imagine killing yourself and then waking up in a new body :rip:

MadonnasBoyfriend

When you die that's the end of you forever. It's like before you were born. That's what I think anyways

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

I think it's peak human egotism to think that your "soul" will go on to live forever. We are really not that different from other living organisms and we will all eventually perish like them and there will be nothing left of you. Just because we evolved consciousness doesn't mean we're special and universe will take care of us after our bodies pass away... I'm sorry but there's nothing after death. Why would you think otherwise? 

life can't be explained

it's ******* weird how you suddenly just pop up here

like the 'world' seems normal to us since we're used to what we know, but it still doesn't make sense

so why would death make sense

we'll have to wait and see 

lol

Edited by ItsJustMe.

We are made from energy, literally star dust and particles that spawned together and came alive. Reincarnation to me means our energy and dust forms into another life form (after we break down) we won’t be aware, but we will technically be made into something else (if that makes sense) 

People who have died claim to have gone elsewhere, but I’m not sure if that’s some kind of hallucination that occurs when the brain shuts down. 

32 minutes ago, toy soldier. said:

The thought of reincarnation scares me more, imagine having to live over and over again without having any memory of your past lives

i mean if you have no memory then who curr? if reincarnation exists you've probably been reincarnated thousands of times and you're doing just fine

OT: if it is actually real then that will be terrible. imagine being conscious for forever:biblio:

I think about all of this more than I'd like to admit.

So you’re thinking billions of “souls” are just lingering around seeing everything that’s happening? If that’s your belief then good for you but I think you just cease to exist (mentally and physically) when you die. That’s that.

The concept of eternity is giving me extreme anxiety :gaycat6:

28 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

I think it's peak human egotism to think that your "soul" will go on to live forever. We are really not that different from other living organisms and we will all eventually perish like them and there will be nothing left of you. Just because we evolved consciousness doesn't mean we're special and universe will take care of us after our bodies pass away... I'm sorry but there's nothing after death. Why would you think otherwise? 

:clap3:

28 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

I'm sorry but there's nothing after death. Why would you think otherwise? 

Because we can't really know if there is nothing or not until we actually arrive at that point. We can't make ourselves comprehend absolute nothingness. I don't think we are special or different than other organisms just because we gained consciousness, we all eventually arrive at the same point.

I don't believe in the concept of heaven/hell and all that but it is more like becoming a part of the universe again. I do think there is SOMETHING beyond all of us that we cannot truly know or understand about the universe or its creation. If that makes any sense, don't know if I worded it properly. 

My brain is literally not capable to process "forever/eternity". If i think about it i get very anxious cuz it's a weird feeling and very far away from being a clear thought. 

the concept of soul usually comes packaged with some form of heaven, hell, and deities. Something about the existence of hell, whatever form or shape it might take across different religion, simply doesn't right with me. The concepts of "justice," "deserving," and especially worship just don't make sense to me when I think about them even for a little bit. What's specifically ****** up is eternal damnation, particularly because of lack of worship (maybe it's more pronounced because I grew up Muslim) or for not following a specific moral/behavioral code. On that basis alone, I... hope? (but kind of don't) we simply cease to exist after we die. The idea that someone somewhere is damned for all eternity while I'm in hell or vice versa just doesn't feel "fair" to me. Even if the worst cases are set to be tortured for a set amount of time, if it's unimaginable amount of time it feels too extreme. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.