Red, White & Royal Blue | Gay Amazon film | Out now!

Slate

16 hours ago, Chemist said:

This is also the 3rd time he plays a queer person, and it seems that he will play another one in an upcoming show. Yeah he has confirmed he is straight but it's still a bit sus.

Also, why are cast directors giving so many gay roles to str8 people (if he is in fact str8 :thing:)

Nicholas has actually never talked about his sexual orientation though! Do you honestly think a straight man would take this selfie ? 

EtFPKvYW8AAl1O_.jpg 

And not to be stereotypical but the amount of pop girl covers he used to upload to social media.... :chick1: this man is at least bi 

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovett

• Smarticle

• anti-bitch

• Nebur

Anyways the movie was fun, cute and overall enjoyable, the acting was good (specially Nicholas'), only problem to me is that it felt too fast paced! 

16 minutes ago, josesuxx said:

Nicholas has actually never talked about his sexual orientation though! Do you honestly think a straight man would take this selfie ? 

EtFPKvYW8AAl1O_.jpg 

And not to be stereotypical but the amount of pop girl covers he used to upload to social media.... :chick1: this man is at least bi 

Let me quote this post from earlier in this thread. He said he's straight in a podcast recently. But it wouldn't be the first time someone has said they are straight just to protect their image and career opportunities. Or that their management makes them say it. Though obvi I can't say that's the case here. But it is a strange amount of gay roles he's doing. And there's one coming up where he plays the lover of King James I (Mary & George). So at least we can thank him for his service.

On 8/14/2023 at 12:14 AM, Oscar Isaac said:

It’s a Variety podcast, which is an industry trade, where Nicholas went into detail about being a straight person playing a gay character and talking it through with the director.

Edited by anti-bitch

Cringe as I expected but started to enjoy it more when I remembered that this a rom com and wasn't supposed to be this great masterpiece film with a great script. 

Very cute, hot and enjoyable moments. 

One thing I didn't like at all is that they're basically teaching very young and naive gays to surprise kiss guys without knowing if they're bi or gay. And that's a big NO. Extremely risky and dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Darkgalord said:

Cringe as I expected but started to enjoy it more when I remembered that this a rom com and wasn't supposed to be this great masterpiece film with a great script. 

Very cute, hot and enjoyable moments. 

One thing I didn't like at all is that they're basically teaching very young and naive gays to surprise kiss guys without knowing if they're bi or gay. And that's a big NO. Extremely risky and dangerous. 

I think that’s just a hallmark of romantic comedies, I doubt gay kids/teens are actually going to start going to their crush and kiss them without consent, they’ll realise the film is more of a fairy tail like most romantic comedies than actually “reality”. It’s a nice piece of escapism that I’m glad they get to have.

• Like 4

I gave in and watched the first 30 minutes of the film (where im up to in the book), and I just wanted to say, why is everyone getting at Taylor’s acting? I was expecting a horrible performance but he’s doing well. Like he’s being slightly campy, but this is a streaming romcom so I kind of expected that? If anything, Nicholas kind of threw me off a bit with his more serious scenes since they seemed a little bit melodramatic for what this is. 

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

The pacing :deadbanana2: I was gooped at the breakneck speed in the first half hour lmao. I couldn't believe they got to new year's so quickly. Ultimately, I think that really hurt the movie cause I didn't get to see them very slowly becoming actual friends, then falling in love like they do in the book. The relationship always felt so flimsy, so I wasn't emotionally moved during their hard times.

The actors did have good chemistry though, so at least there was that. And they cut SO much content from the book, but I understand most of the cuts/changes.

43 minutes ago, feelslikeadream said:

The pacing :deadbanana2: I was gooped at the breakneck speed in the first half hour lmao. I couldn't believe they got to new year's so quickly. Ultimately, I think that really hurt the movie cause I didn't get to see them very slowly becoming actual friends, then falling in love like they do in the book. The relationship always felt so flimsy, so I wasn't emotionally moved during their hard times.

The actors did have good chemistry though, so at least there was that. And they cut SO much content from the book, but I understand most of the cuts/changes.

Sis, this took me out! Reading the book, it feels like it really took a while for them to even be comfortable enough, so the NY kiss was a real "finally" moment. And from then on, it's been great seeing them even go from just kinda hooking up to lowkey having feelings, to genuinely falling in love. The pacing really annoyed me, and so did the changes. And I only watched the first 30 minutes (finishing book first)! I was so looking forward to the ice cream scene, and they CUT IT OUT, even though that was low-key a small but pivotal moment in both character and relationship development for both of them. I'm still excited to watch the entire film, since I'll treat it as its own thing, but yeah, they should've either had more budget and made it longer by like 30/35 minutes, or made it a mini-series.

Edited by BOOMBAYAH

50 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Sis, this took me out! Reading the book, it feels like it really took a while for them to even be comfortable enough, so the NY kiss was a real "finally" moment. And from then on, it's been great seeing them even go from just kinda hooking up to lowkey having feelings, to genuinely falling in love. The pacing really annoyed me, and so did the changes. And I only watched the first 30 minutes (finishing book first)! I was so looking forward to the ice cream scene, and they CUT IT OUT, even though that was low-key a small but pivotal moment in both character and relationship development for both of them. I'm still excited to watch the entire film, since I'll treat it as its own thing, but yeah, they should've either had more budget and made it longer by like 30/35 minutes, or made it a mini-series.

There exits an hour longer version of the film. The director said so. And now the fans are begging in the comments for Amazon to release it. Although maybe it was a mistake to try fit everything in a movie in the first place.

Edited by anti-bitch

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

SIS, the ice cream scene should have stayed in :gaycat7: They went from hating each other to flirty texting in literally 2 mins and it gave me whiplash. The long courtship was one of my favorite parts of the books, and we could have used more phone calls before we got to NYE.

Just watched this. I'm happy it exists because as queer people we deserve bad movies too. 

It was sweet. :heart:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, anti-***** said:

Aww, glad you liked it! And wasn't it funny that Stephen Fry makes a cameo? Lol

Btw the fans are demanding Amazon to release the 3 hour version. The director said they made them cut it down to 2h. But now literally on every page for Amazon Prime the comments are full of it.

And yes, I'd love a sequel too, but the 3h version would let the storyline breathe more as it is. The ending felt kinda open for me though. Like they could write more to it. Maybe let's have the guys get married in the sequel. :chick3: 

Yes! I loved Stephen's cameo, he was great. And I'd 100% be down with the 3 hour version. Hopefully with it doing so well on the platform, Amazon will actually listen! :duca: You could practically feel the parts where they had to cut for time.

now i feel like i need to finish the book cause they changed up the characters and simplified the plot

Nicholas' acting could've been... So much better :eli:

Having a gay face is not enough 

9 hours ago, josesuxx said:

Went to his instagram and the first thing I see is him posting a Taylor Swift song :deadbanana2:. Not to be stereotypical but I am sure there are very few straight men that stan Taylor Swift

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

F3gbqr5X0AY8EuH?format=jpg&name=small

Definitely not beating those allegations. :chick2:

:deadbanana2: yeah that's a gay man 

Loved this. Cute and fast-paced. And about time we get leads that are neither in school or 50 year olds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Wait he spilled, I fear. Someone find his atrl account, I know he got his kiis in that Natalia Kills x-factor thread 

now i like him even more for clocking that rat :WAP:

Lmao! Is this real? I need to read his old tweets, if they haven't all been deleted

9 hours ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I gave in and watched the first 30 minutes of the film (where im up to in the book), and I just wanted to say, why is everyone getting at Taylor’s acting? I was expecting a horrible performance but he’s doing well. Like he’s being slightly campy, but this is a streaming romcom so I kind of expected that? If anything, Nicholas kind of threw me off a bit with his more serious scenes since they seemed a little bit melodramatic for what this is. 

Most people on this forum wouldn't recognize a good performance if it hit them in the face. Taylor did well. As did Uma who is showcasing subtle comedic timing in her line delivery on top of a Texas accent, but again I guess it's just going over some people's heads..

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.