How much do you tip when you go out to eat?

Mattyboy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusic

• Headlock

• ccfan007

• Badgalbriel

2 hours ago, BadMonster said:

It's your job to make a good drink, that's what people pay for when they buy a drink.

sure.  Then I'll just pour the minimum amount of liquor involved and I'll go as slow as I want to go the entire shift.  It doesn't matter anyways cuz everyone gets paid the same.

geez, some of the comments in here are just awful.  I'll continue to work hard at what I do and bring home $500 a day and have my 4 days off a week.  I work hard for it and my regulars come back and tip me terrifically. 

20%, although I tipped much higher the few times I did go out to eat during the peak pandemic

I wouldn't tip for bad service, but I'm also never experienced service even remotely close enough to bad for me to not tip. 

20% minimum, usually more for good service. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, jqnetto said:

Zero. Pay your employees a fair wage.

That’s simply not the case in some places. I live in Canada where servers do get paid minimum wage (which still isn’t really a livable wage) and I still find it unacceptable to not tip my server. If I ever went out with someone for dinner or something and they didn’t tip I probably wouldn’t go out with them again or id have to tip for the both of us.

Americans who don’t tip their servers knowing that their livelihoods depend on it are just something else. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant

i don't... however when I went to america back in the days I was so confused how tips worked so pretty sure we overtipped. 

0% unless it's a really fancy restaurant, we have no "tip culture" in Sweden. I never tip the bartenders and they never expect us to, they always enter the sum before handing us the payment machine. (Sweden is one of the most cashless societies in the world, I haven't paid with actual bills for like 15 years) 

Edited by Cocetti

On 5/30/2022 at 12:12 PM, CaptainMusic said:

I very rarely tip, it’s not my job to pay somebody’s wages

And if there’s a service charge attached, I’ll ask them to remove it if the waiter was rude :coffee2: 

if you're broke just say that

-

Knowing that it is expected to tip and still going out to eat and not tip is very rude and childish behavior. With any service provided there is an expectation that you will tip, people that don't understand this should just stay home or become educated on the matter. That being said having worked many years in the industry I know that there are certain upbringings where it is customary to not tip and that is a bit more understandable (albeit annoying) than someone who just outright refuses to tip.

Usually 20% 

If the service is really bad like they don’t check up on my table, refill our drinks, or has a rude attitude I don’t leave anything. This has only happened like 3 times~

I don’t tip if I am just getting coffee, boba, or am picking up food 

25 minutes ago, 305 said:

-

Knowing that it is expected to tip and still going out to eat and not tip is very rude and childish behavior. With any service provided there is an expectation that you will tip, people that don't understand this should just stay home or become educated on the matter. That being said having worked many years in the industry I know that there are certain upbringings where it is customary to not tip and that is a bit more understandable (albeit annoying) than someone who just outright refuses to tip.

I’m not broke, I’m stable but congrats to you if you’re rich I guess?

Tipping ain’t customary in my country and I will continue not to if I don’t want to, stay mad about it :skull: 

Not some you paying 20% on tipping, your money your choice I guess? :rip: 

Anyway, I tip based on the service and what I ate but it's never anywhere close to 20%.

Tipping is not a thing in South East Asia.

Edited by charot

On 5/30/2022 at 7:23 PM, ontherocks said:

In Germany we tip. I was out eating with my best friend in Friday and my bill was 59€, I gave 70€.

Im German and I dont tip :coffee: Im not Mother Theresa

1 minute ago, bocelli said:

Im German and I dont tip :coffee: Im not Mother Theresa

No, you are just rude and ungrateful.

20% or up to $30. You're not getting **** though if I received bad/nonexistent service. For food delivery apps it's always $5 and for grocery (Instacart/Costco/etc) it's always $15. 

Remember people, always tip in cash

Edited by xclusivestylesz

We don’t tip in Indonesia :lakitu:

In my country there is no such things. However, if I visited USA someday I would tip them pleasantly.

I don't. Tipping isn't a thing in my country

On 6/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, 305 said:

On 6/2/2022 at 7:54 PM, ontherocks said:

No, you are just rude and ungrateful.

:ahh:

On 6/2/2022 at 4:19 PM, xclusivestylesz said:

20% or up to $30. You're not getting **** though if I received bad/nonexistent service. For food delivery apps it's always $5 and for grocery (Instacart/Costco/etc) it's always $15. 

Remember people, always tip in cash

this is the correct answer. People do not treat restaurants/food delivery apps like the luxury that they are. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.