Katy vs Lana : who will be be more remembered in 10 years?

Safe&Sound

?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Katy
    • Lana

No one remembers Katy today. She's not even good for a throw back. She's not going to be remembered in 10 years unless she dies or do some major thing. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ontherocks

• KillingYourCareer

• conquxror

• Safe&Sound

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Remembered as in like if you ask someone in the street they will know who they are? Katy.

Musically wise? Lana

Katy hits will be definitely remembered, same with Teenage Dream album but hipster blogs will write about Lana more

Not people saying Katy when streaming is already showing that Lana have way strong numbers these days despite no hits or promotion, some of her songs get viral on tiktok every week.

Maybe Katy will have the more recognizable face / name since she's a popstar, but as an artist, is very clear who will be more remembered.

Before Lana became huge on tiktok I would’ve said Katy

But because of how big Lana is on tiktok I will say Lana

4 hours ago, Chaos Angel said:

Katy’s hits will be more remembered because she has more to begin with, but Lana will be the more well respected musician and her albums will be more remembered.

so ultimately the answer should be katy, she has WW tours, a residency, a spot on reality tv and 9 #1s... Lana is kind alt girl. they will both be remembered but katy has the bigger peak and impact to GP

Lana will be remembered as an ARTIST while Katy will be remembered as a TV-show celebrity with a few jingles.

Katy. 

No one other than forum hipsters and stepford wives care about Lana now, let alone in 10 years.

In the next recession the kids will ask their parents how they survived the previous crisis (2007-2008 financial crisis, the Great Recession,...) and the parents answer by watching Firework music video on a hand-me-down laptop all day long. That and Obama was the hope that helped them through.

Katy Perry's 'Firework' -- What Do 177 Million Views on YouTube Mean?

176,758,000 views on YouTube.

That's the population of Pakistan, the sixth largest country in the world.

And although the song was released in October of 2010, its numbers keep growing --- despite the insistence of our nine-year-old that "'Firework' is sooo four months ago."

What is it with this video?

I don't think it's the music, though it's a catchy tune and Perry, whose vocal range is not vast, is a tireless, personable performer. And I don't think it's her rabid fan base, which showed up around the release of "I Kissed a Girl" and made the first two singles from this album, "Teenage Dream," into number one hits. [To buy the download of "Firework" for 69 cents, click here. For the CD of "Teenage Dream," click here.]

I think it's something bigger.

On one side: horrifying unemployment numbers, the media's near-total lack of interest in unemployment and bankruptcies and foreclosures.

On the other: an inspirational message from someone with cred.

The result of that collision isn't that 175 million people went to YouTube the way others would go to church. We're not talking about 175 million people here --- more likely, we're looking at a much smaller number, with each viewer punching up "Firework" many times. And why? It's not that these viewers can't afford the hardware --- stripped-down iPods are cheap --- it's that they don't want just to hear the song.

They want to see the video.

And so they go to YouTube and seek "Firework" out, again and again and again.

Some of these viewers are little kids. But more, I'd bet, are older teens, the age group mostly likely to feel hopeless --- especially if what's happening around them reinforces their despair.

[...]

"Firework" was, on the MuchMusic list, the most popular video of 2010 --- not shabby for a video that wasn't released until October 28. For the week ending January 8, 2011, American downloads of "Firework" hit 509,000 --- the second highest ever. But it was the YouTube numbers that exploded in the months since January, and here, I'd suggest, is why:

TEEN UNEMPLOYMENT
In 25 states, the average teen unemployment rates are above 25 percent (January, 2011 figures). As for the national unemployment rate: it rose slightly in April to 9.0%. About 13.7 million workers are currently unemployed. If we count those who are long-term unemployed or no longer look for work, we could be talking about an unemployment rate of 15% --- the same rate as 1931, in the early stages of the Great Depression.

REAL ESTATE FORECLOSURES
Mortgage lenders repossessed one million homes in 2010. This year, more than 5 million Americans are at least two months behind on their mortgage payments, putting us on pace for a record high foreclosure rate --- 1.2 million foreclosures.

CREDIT CARD DEBT
Credit card debt hit $800.5 billion on December 31, an increase of $2.3 billion in a month. This marked the first increase since August 2008, just before Wall Street melted down.

Bleak. And bleaker for the young, who are generationly inclined to believe they're unseen, marginalized non-entities. Which they are --- if you've had the pleasure of listening to the inane policy debate in Washington and on the talk shows, you know that the only "important" issues are the national debt, Social Security and medical costs. In other words: how to cut more services from those who need them most. The young? The poor? The hungry? The unemployed? Maybe when they hire lobbyists, we'll remember they exist.

Can a song make you hold on when everything around you sucks? Think back. It happened for you, all those years ago --- that song you played again and again. And now it happens for another generation. So, yeah, if I were suffering and I had the strength not to seek out booze or drugs to dull the pain, I'd crank up my hand-me-down Dell and watch "Firework." And I'd do it more than once, because from January until now, not a damn thing has changed.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/katy-perrys-firework----w_b_859125

Katy also reminds people of simpler and safer times before terrorists started targeting cafés, concert venues,... before they yell "speak English", before Brexit, before Trump, before politicizing toilets,... and before mass shootings went over 300 per year.

Chart_Embed_Mass-shootings-have-risen-since-2014_v02_DAP_1616538948618_hpEmbed_1x1_992.jpg

Everyday life has become more complicated, dangerous,... That why Katy's Firework at Biden's inauguration is received by the GP as "it ain't over until the fat lady sings" and Katy sung to mark the end of the most nightmarish part of US recent times and the start of society going back towards normal. People used to be much more chill, tolerant, calm,... during Katy's prime.

Edited by katykater

Lana will still be releasing acclaimed music in 10 years' time. Katy will be an Xtina-esque relic only fondly remembered by a few stans with a humiliation kink.

Lana will have more lasting impact because her music is more timeless 

As an artist Lana was more iconic in her niche and influential so probably her.

Overall Katy’s hits will keep her afloat forever so they are about the same.

Katy will probably be more remembered but I see Lana still being an acclaimed artist she is

Worldwide and GP wise? Katy. Come on :skull:

ATRL always forget how important singles are.

Lana will be like joni mitchel. Meaning respected and people listening to the albums

But Katy will actually have singles that everybody knows

Lana. Her music is timeless and the new generation listen to her way more than they do Katy. Katy’s lowkey forgotten already if we’re being honest.

Katy's hits will be played at 2010s parties

Lana will be remembered as an important and influential artist and will likely maintain her following 

4 hours ago, Homebrand said:

Lana released 2 albums in 2021. Why shouldn't she be on this list? :rip: 

The gag is, no one is streaming Lana’s latest records. She’s there due to Born to Die and Ultraviolence solely, maybe a little bit of NFR too. 

Both her and Katy are gonna be know for one legendary era. 

Katy, her hits in her heyday were huge. Lana....not so much.

Is this a serious question? Methinks the actual artist vs. the American Idol judge

Lana is more remembered today. Why would that change after 10 years?

Katy’s hits are forgotten or soon will be. She has no classics.

Lana: Kate Bush

Katy: Paula Abdul

Lana ofc.

22 minutes ago, sasashite said:

Lana is more remembered today. Why would that change after 10 years?

Katy’s hits are forgotten or soon will be. She has no classics.

Lana: Kate Bush

Katy: Paula Abdul

What a weird thing to say considering Kate doesn’t have a single classic and no one outside of aging online music fans know her or her music, I mean no wonder no one streams her music, her fanbase probably still plays it on vinyl.  :rip:

OT: Katy is more remembered among everyone but Gen Z but Lana among them.

Edited by PopKills

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.