Halsey - “So Good”

TalkThatRihanna

It's an incoming classic, I fear. Yes, it's kinda generic but the tune is really pretty and the lyrics really hit. They're simple but arranged really well. The change your mind line gets me every-time. Y'all will switch on this in a few weeks.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• Nefertiti0

• original_lifeline

• nooniebao

I love this so cute and catchy I hope it does well for her :) 

I have always like Halsey's music but it is still surprising how hard this is hitting me

Like I think there is something generic about it to a degree but really catchy still. Kind of like Closer

Literally spent 5 hours in the car on Friday and only listened to this song. Tried to put other stuff on, I listened to Demi's new song bc I like it too, but kept going back to this. 

Edit: Just wish it was longer/another verse

Edited by FireMotif16
More words

This grew on me for sure. Also the video is v cute knowing what they were going for 

this didnt sound too good live

How does it compare with the Manic Spotify debuts?

Sorry I'm late. I was stuck in traffique :alexz2:

1. This is soooo beneath her and vanilla, but it's super cute I won't lie! As a singular isolated pop song, I suppose it's fine. It's so airy and light but also wistful and somber sounding all at once. Giving me early 2010s P!nk / Kelly soccer mom radio smasha teas which makes sense since Max produced for them. 

Sits middle-to-low in her discography though and doesn't hold a candle to IICHLIWP or even some of her previous pure pop single highlights.

2. Chorus and bridge are easily the best parts. The verses just feel like dead space to me - specifically the 2nd verse where I was hoping she'd jump an octave right before the double pre-chorus. I agree w/ the majority on the abrupt finish. It's missing a cathartic final chorus / outro moment with heavier instrumentation + background ad libs. You have all this momentum building and it just ENDS, lmfao.

3. The music video's simple and likely cost nothing to make but is such a treat especially if you follow her personal life in any way. My poor little stan heart was tearing up a bit :rip: The nods to her previous eras are also a nice touch. I feel like this single would work for a Halsey GH era if those were still a thing. 

So yeah, I feel pretty medium about this overall. I can see this becoming a moderate-sized success a la 'Graveyard', 'Be Kind', or 'You should be sad'. I wouldn't be surprised if this peaks in the #10-15 range on Pop like those did which I guess would be enough of a course correction following IICHLIWP to setup the next single and serve even harder with that. I think radio wants something safe ofc but with a LITTLE more edge like WM or BaL from her. 

The US Spotify #s are decent considering the tragic playlisting. I was really surprised to see it placed so low on TTH! Lowkey supports her IG protest against the label's reluctance to invest in the release, which is shocking since she's one of the anchor acts in their artist roster atm.

Let's see if it sinks or swims. 

@TalkThatRihanna @The Witch @Ampersand13 @original_lifeline

Edited by Reverse Warholian

11 hours ago, Saintlor said:

I meant specifically her music videos aside from that film 

I wasn’t clear in my OP tho

Yeah I kinda get your point. 'Colors', 'Now or Never', 'Nightmare', and 'You should be sad' remain her best non-IICHLIWP videos. The rest aren't necessarily bad but are kinda unremarkable and unstimulating. You can clearly tell she has a good eye for aesthetics but certain concepts never feel fully explored and usually don't come together in a visually compelling way. For ex. I can't help but think how much better 'Bad at Love' could've performed with a tighter mv despite its US smashery!  

Edited by Reverse Warholian

By far my fave song from their discography but I hope it'll become a cute hit for them :celestial2: but the real question is: is it for H5 or is it a standalone single?

22 minutes ago, Same Ol' Mistakes said:

By far my fave song from their discography but I hope it'll become a cute hit for them :celestial2: but the real question is: is it for H5 or is it a standalone single?

depends on the song's success. WM was initially a stand-alone single, but when it became her biggest solo hit, it strangely appeared on Manic despite her saying 100 times that it was just a droplet between the eras

1 hour ago, original_lifeline said:

depends on the song's success. WM was initially a stand-alone single, but when it became her biggest solo hit, it strangely appeared on Manic despite her saying 100 times that it was just a droplet between the eras

Well hopefully it becomes a hit so we will magically get an album asap :eli:

1 hour ago, Same Ol' Mistakes said:

Well hopefully it becomes a hit so we will magically get an album asap :eli:

she has already stated that she started writing H5 at the beginning of 2022!
I feel an early 2023 release, or maybe late 2022, if we get lucky enough :duca:

Spotify | June 11
1f30e.svg Global
#101(-42) — 1,174,790
1f1fa-1f1f8.svg US
#41(-20) — 464,078

10 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

Sorry I'm late. I was stuck in traffique :alexz2:

1. This is soooo beneath her and vanilla, but it's super cute I won't lie! As a singular isolated pop song, I suppose it's fine. It's so airy and light but also wistful and somber sounding all at once. Giving me early 2010s P!nk / Kelly soccer mom radio smasha teas which makes sense since Max produced for them. 

Sits middle-to-low in her discography though and doesn't hold a candle to IICHLIWP or even some of her previous pure pop single highlights.

2. Chorus and bridge are easily the best parts. The verses just feel like dead space to me - specifically the 2nd verse where I was hoping she'd jump an octave right before the double pre-chorus. I agree w/ the majority on the abrupt finish. It's missing a cathartic final chorus / outro moment with heavier instrumentation + background ad libs. You have all this momentum building and it just ENDS, lmfao.

3. The music video's simple and likely cost nothing to make but is such a treat especially if you follow her personal life in any way. My poor little stan heart was tearing up a bit :rip: The nods to her previous eras are also a nice touch. I feel like this single would work for a Halsey GH era if those were still a thing. 

So yeah, I feel pretty medium about this overall. I can see this becoming a moderate-sized success a la 'Graveyard', 'Be Kind', or 'You should be sad'. I wouldn't be surprised if this peaks in the #10-15 range on Pop like those did which I guess would be enough of a course correction following IICHLIWP to setup the next single and serve even harder with that. I think radio wants something safe ofc but with a LITTLE more edge like WM or BaL from her. 

The US Spotify #s are decent considering the tragic playlisting. I was really surprised to see it placed so low on TTH! Lowkey supports her IG protest against the label's reluctance to invest in the release, which is shocking since she's one of the anchor acts in their artist roster atm.

Let's see if it sinks or swims. 

@TalkThatRihanna @The Witch @Ampersand13 @original_lifeline

it's Graveyard 2.0 

The Witch

I love halsey's basic pop songs:WAP:

Finally listened to this and I love it but I really wish it had one more, big final chorus and didn't just end so abruptly :rip: 

Ricky Wilson

It’s a hit I fear

Like the member above said, you will switch like… in a few weeks

a hit :jonny6:

12 hours ago, Nefertiti0 said:

Spotify | June 11
1f30e.svg Global
#101(-42) — 1,174,790
1f1fa-1f1f8.svg US
#41(-20) — 464,078

Rise :jonny5:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.