Taylor has one UK #1 Single in 15 years. Why?

Wonderland

I was having a deep dive into her chart history and it just blows my mind that her only UK #1 is Look What You Made Me Do :rip:

People always recite the tired "Local!!!" card or say that her country origins made it hard for her to crossover to the UK. However, these explanations don't really hold up when you consider that in similar markets like Australia (8 #1's) and New Zealand (5 #1's), she has had no issue getting multiple singles to #1 over this time.  

To be fair, she has been very unlucky with many #2s (Love Story, IKYWT, Shake It Off) and Top 5 peaks; and it's not like her music is performing poorly in the UK by any means... But what is going on that SO many of her singles have been blocked from hitting #1 in the UK when she has otherwise has had no problem reaching the summit in other markets?

Could it be that her music is just too much for the Brits to handle?

official chart] H100: WAP 2x #1, Drake #2, 7 Summers #6, I Hope #10, MS #14  - Page 4 - Charts & Sales - ATRL

Edited by Wonderland

It was her weakest English speaking market for a while. I think she'll score more down the line as her popularity there grew with the pop albums + Folklore. 

UK have fish and chips and vodka for breakfast and not white bread. Notice her only #1 had some Nutella spread instead of white chocolate.

Bad luck. Her only #1 is just her 7th biggest song

6 minutes ago, Jonver said:

if she only have one #1 in the UK, imagine the rest of Europe.

luckily she is the artist with more 1 albums this century in UK and she was the most consume artist in 2020 and third in 2021 after Ed and Adele with their new albums 

Doesn't matter when her albums outsell the other "GlObAl" girls with ease. And she doesn't have to tack on every remix, acoustic version, radio edit that exists. :flower2:

19 minutes ago, abeille said:

It was her weakest English speaking market for a while. I think she'll score more down the line as her popularity there grew with the pop albums + Folklore. 

But like even All Too Well (TV) only peaked at #3 while topping every other market. I just don't get it :rip: 

They're busy using pop girls for 1 era then dumping them. Taylor is the American longevity queen after all.

Who cares about the singles when she is ready to become the female artist with the most #1 albums this or next year:gaycat4:

I don't think it matters when the UK Pop Charts feel more meaningless in terms of being #1 than the US at times. 

5 minutes ago, SimpleKindofLife said:

They're busy using pop girls for 1 era then dumping them. Taylor is the American longevity queen after all.

This too. But Taylor being American helps her out since the UK media is VERY bad towards their own women. Ariana does similarly well if I recall. 

18 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

But like even All Too Well (TV) only peaked at #3 while topping every other market. I just don't get it :rip: 

She's so unlucky and always releases when there's huge competition.

All too well would have easily gone #1 any other week.

But it's release was sandwiched between Ed and Adele's album releases.

#1 Shivers (album release boost)

#2 EOM (album release imminent...promotion was on full swing)

But her albums tho... :jonny6:

Mpgs on UK albums chart:

7. Sour

21. Plant Her

23. Future Dischargia

35. Dua Pipa

40. 1989 :1stplace:

43. Lover:2ndplace:

51. 30 (2022)

52. folklore (2020):3rdplace:

65. Happier Than Over

75. RED TV

79. Reputa

81. 25

#1's are just a matter of luck, Coldplay being well... Coldplay, only topped the UK Singles Chart twice. Taylor is still outselling the girlies :celestial5:

Edited by gustavothehuman

22 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

She's so unlucky and always releases when there's huge competition.

All too well would have easily gone #1 any other week.

But it's release was sandwiched between Ed and Adele's album releases.

#1 Shivers (album release boost)

#2 EOM (album release imminent...promotion was on full swing)

Is this what happened to Shake It Off too? How was that blocked :rip: 

8 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

Is this what happened to Shake It Off too? How was that blocked :rip: 

No spotify no #1, I fear.

The fact that it managed to chart close to 60 weeks and peak at #2 with pure sales only is :WAP:

The 1989 singles never got the peak they deserved because of the stupid streaming boycott.

They were all huge but their competitors had huge streams while taylor had zero :gaycat6:.

Edited by Miss Americana

She's never really been a singles artist. The truth is for Taylor her time as a hitmaker was only between 2008-09, and 2012-2015 and 2017. That's around half a decade that, while is a long time, really isn't given how little albums she releases in those time frames. (Fearless, RED, 1989 and IDWLF + LWYMMD are the only notable times she was a chart runner in singles). She doesn't do yearly releases like Rihanna or Ariana. She doesn't overextend her eras or issue rereleases like Katy or Gaga, she also doesn't really push her singles globally post 3rd singles except during 1989.

All of those, plus the fact that she was only really a force in Europe during Fearless plus 2012 onwards, then lost the hitmaking power around 2017, creates a result where she doesn't really get a lot of shots at making big hits, in the UK or in other markets. 

Taylor's focus was always on pushing albums as full entities, and while she clearly enjoyed the time she had under the Rihanna-Gaga-Katy-Ariana umbrella of hitmaking, she excels more at pushing whole bodies of work, something those other girls tend to struggle at.

Edited by MingYouToo

1 hour ago, Harry said:

UK have fish and chips and vodka for breakfast and not white bread. Notice her only #1 had some Nutella spread instead of white chocolate.

:rip:

6 minutes ago, Miss Americana said:

No spotify no #1, I fear.

The fact that it managed to chart close to 60 weeks and peak at #2 with pure sales only is :WAP:

The 1989 singles never got the peak they deserved because of the stupid streaming boycott.

They were all huge but their competitors had huge streams while taylor had zero :gaycat6:.

I remember being an avid chart watcher in PulseMusic and on OldTRL and watching Taylor's rollout for 1989. It was amazing what she did given she boycotted the streaming industry at the time, BS did huge numbers, she was everywhere, hosting the Ryan Seacrest show as a f*cking snow angel, she was singing while on tonsillitis (which she slayed btw when she sang IKYWT). Shake it Off being blocked week by week by All About That Bass pissed all the Swifties on the site :deadvision: BS replacing SIO at #1 was such a moment too!

She was selling 4M pure for like her first 4 singles and was destroying iTunes with 8 seconds of white noise :deadbanana4: even listened to the leak of 1989 where they intentionally mislabeled the song names

a MOMENT where she proved the girls WRONG :jonny6:

1 hour ago, Jonver said:

if she only have one #1 in the UK, imagine the rest of Europe.

:skull:

1 hour ago, Harry said:

:giraffe:

Her label bmr wasn’t even a thing in US and her off US promotion especially in Europe was so bad to an extent in very early career .. maybe it was more costly or they just focused on countries where she made some noise .. and it went on till 1989 .. her first era she kinda had a breakthrough in Europe but she was supposed to blow up with next album after hype of 1989 and reputation’s single choice ruined it and lover’s single completely destroyed it .. 

Terrible luck. But she makes up for it in #1 albums, which she has the most of this century.

It’s literally just bad luck, she’s a huge artist here, she’s just as popular here as she is in America. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.