New York Now Has More Airbnb Listings Than Apartments

Gesamtkunstwerk

3 hours ago, Pavement Princess said:

Everyone’s leases that I know of has gone up as well. Mine went up by 500 but I’ve heard horror stories of thousand+ I was so lucky to score my apartment in Brooklyn but it’s insane how hard it was just a month ago to find anything.

Holy crap there's no legal cap to rent increases?! Here in BC they can only increase our rent by 2.5% per year, and the cap was 0% for the last two years because of the pandemic. I've been renting the same apartment for four years and my rent is only $100 more expensive now per month than it was when I started. 

2 hours ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

My boyfriend studies in UK, shares a house with 2 other guys in Hackney, and their landlord fixes pretty much nothing but gladly pulls in 2500+ pounds per month from their rent :rip: One of the rooms literally only has room for a bed and nothing else.

I lived in Hackney before and left because of a horrible landlord and the crazy increases in rent. I live in Barking now with a much nicer flat and landlord but it doesn’t have the best reputation in London:rip:. A lot of people in London live on bedsits where you only have a small room with a sink to yourself and share the bathroom/shower with up to 5 people or more.

Landlords and airbnb are both taking the piss, it needs more regulation but no one cares.

7 hours ago, ProudLBS said:

Living in cities is so 2019

Living in smaller cities is where it’s at. You get most of the convenience of a capital city but without the extortionate costs.

The most important city in the world has a housing problem and egregious rent for shitty living standarts? No way :bloo:

Man capitalism and zoning laws are just so ******* awesome

On 5/19/2022 at 6:30 PM, Mariah's Glove said:

That city is honestly the worst place on earth and people only live there to seem cool

tea

everytime I go there it's somehow less appealing than last time

On 5/19/2022 at 6:37 PM, Communion said:

It's time to start expropriation properties from wealthy owners. It should be illegal to own a home but not live in it. 

I remember reading they were doing something to this effect in Vancouver but I may be mistaken.

56 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I remember reading they were doing something to this effect in Vancouver but I may be mistaken.

Not at all :rip: Expropriation for a reason like this is totally unconstitutional in most places, that would be full-on communist country at that point. No, what happens in Vancouver is a tax on unused second homes, but it's all based on self-reporting and so a ton of people lie and there's little to no enforcement. Which is a general pattern with laws here. You can assault someone on the street and be let go on the scene as long as you promise to appear in court. If you fail to appear, they won't come looking for you. You can deal and do heroin in the middle of the street. You can launder money and the government will look the other way.

1 hour ago, Protocol said:

Not at all :rip: Expropriation for a reason like this is totally unconstitutional in most places, that would be full-on communist country at that point. 

donald-glover-good.gif

Y'all should just be glad that I said expropriation and not expropriation without compensation like in South Africa.

I genuinely don't people are prepared for the eventual global housing crisis to reach its peak. IF even first world countries used to the luxury of home ownership are reaching a place where housing becomes too expensive of a commodity to even rent, the only destination is violence, whether to the people who need to be housed or hoarding housing.

I really wish NYC transplants would stop coming to other cities. They’re ******* up Atlanta and Arizona. 

I mean this is what happens when you make it illegal to build housing and hotels.  Zoning has restricted ourselves into a crisis. 

21 hours ago, Robert said:

Landlords and airbnb are both taking the piss, it needs more regulation but no one cares.

Living in smaller cities is where it’s at. You get most of the convenience of a capital city but without the extortionate costs.

Except in the US, you are doomed to a car dependent wasteland unless you live in one of 5 select major cities. 

There needs to be a housing revolution or something. How the hell is this legal? Zoning laws and building restrictions really ****** up the entire housing crises in the US. Everywhere is expensive for housing it’s not just New York City and San Francisco. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.