New York Now Has More Airbnb Listings Than Apartments

Gesamtkunstwerk

https://www.curbed.com/2022/05/new-york-more-airbnb-listings-apartments-rentals.html

There are now bidding wars for one in every five Manhattan rental apartments (and one in three luxury units), according to the most recent Douglas Elliman report. Inventory in all of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and northwest Queens has been hovering well below 10,000 units — as of April, the number was just 7,669. Which is several thousand less than the number of entire-apartment and entire-home Airbnb rentals available in New York City right now: 10,572, according to AirDNA, a third-party site that tracks short-term rentals. Inside Airbnb, another site that scrapes Airbnb for listings data, puts the number even higher, at 20,397.

The company has, for its part, always vehemently denied that it plays any role in the housing shortage, insisting that it provides income that helps people remain in expensive cities they’d otherwise have to leave.

2 minutes ago, ProudLBS said:

Living in cities is so 2019

As opposed to living in rural nowhere and having your Grindr feed be nothing but DL faceless profiles? Ew

anyways Eric Adams is trash. Enough money for a Chinatown mega jail but not enough to build affordable housing. Disgusting. 

1 minute ago, Iceland said:

living is so 2020

:cm:

Everyone’s leases that I know of has gone up as well. Mine went up by 500 but I’ve heard horror stories of thousand+ I was so lucky to score my apartment in Brooklyn but it’s insane how hard it was just a month ago to find anything.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Airbnb is lowkey trash but this isn't their fault. Blame the city for not requiring more affordable units in developments and allowing an 82-floor building to only have 60 apartments. They don't care

Yeah, it's definitely also all major cities fault for not regulating the market :cm: Guess the politicians gets a fat check from the rental/investor lobbyists. 

They're not going to do anything before even the upper-middle class can't afford to live in the city, but where not quite there yet.

3 minutes ago, Pavement Princess said:

Everyone’s leases that I know of has gone up as well. Mine went up by 500 but I’ve heard horror stories of thousand+ I was so lucky to score my apartment in Brooklyn but it’s insane how hard it was just a month ago to find anything.

That's pretty insane that your rent can go up by 500-1000+ dollars, that could obviously decimate someones entire budget completely for a lot of people :deadbanana:

Airbnb isn't even worth it anymore when most of the owners are charging the same price as the nearby hotels. :deadbanana:

NYC has become a “only the strongest can survive” **** hole.

Honestly even the most expensive apartments are pure **** compared to what you can get in other places.

The restaurants have the tables too close to one another, you have to wait long lines for anything.

It’s a mess all together, but this will continue to happen as long as the city is this popular.

4 minutes ago, Attitude said:

Airbnb isn't even worth it anymore when most of the owners are charging the same price as the nearby hotels. :deadbanana:

I'm going there next month. I went with airbnb (entire rental unit) and it's still cheaper than hotels. Around half price actually 

Everyone I know has had their rent increased $500+ , it's insane... I just had to find a new apartment it was literally like armageddon. :gaycat6:  It's also crazy how it seems like collectively landlords decided this was the time to increase everyones rent and f*ck everyone over, making it impossible to find an affordable place to live anywhere in the city. :irate: 

Also, Eric Adams is trash. :celestial:

11 minutes ago, Trent W said:

NYC has become a “only the strongest can survive” **** hole.

Honestly even the most expensive apartments are pure **** compared to what you can get in other places.

The restaurants have the tables too close to one another, you have to wait long lines for anything.

It’s a mess all together, but this will continue to happen as long as the city is this popular.

It's probably not as bad as New York, but when I lived in Paris you had basically had 3 options

1) Live in a room/apartment that's around 9 square meters with shared toilet on the corridor (this is a lucky find)

2) Sleep with a Parisian guy who has rich enough parents that bought him a place you also can live at

3) Live hours of public transportation away

:toofunny2:

I sometimes still look at apartments there and even the crackhead district is fairly pricey to live in.

4 minutes ago, Gesamtkunstwerk said:

It's probably not as bad as New York, but when I lived in Paris you had basically had 3 options

1) Live in a room/apartment that's around 9 square meters with shared toilet on the corridor (this is a lucky find)

2) Sleep with a Parisian guy who has rich enough parents that bought him a place you also can live at

3) Live hours of public transportation away

:toofunny2:

I sometimes still look at apartments there and even the crackhead district is fairly pricey to live in.

It actually sounds a lot like nyc :toofunny3:

IMO big cities like these are a scam, you are just paying a very high price to live there, quality of life is not really good. Is just that opportunities are there and it’s good if you have the contacts to grow your network.

48 minutes ago, BionicWooHoo said:

As opposed to living in rural nowhere and having your Grindr feed be nothing but DL faceless profiles? Ew

Not knowing whose husband you’ll sleep with until you get there is kinda hot imo

That city is honestly the worst place on earth and people only live there to seem cool

Good to know that London isn’t the only one with crazy rents and even crazier house prices. It’s impossible to buy a flat here unless you’re a millionaire/billionaire and even renting is getting harder. Had to move to zone 4 and live in a shared flat with my sister. Transportation is good but it’s still takes me 45 minutes with the Tube to get to central London for work daily.

Edited by What_A_Mess

NYC kinda sucks now. It’s so expensive and it’s pricing out a lot of the immigrant communities/artists that basically contribute to the culture of the city. Yet tech/finance bros, influencers, transplants from suburban America are moving there and driving everything up, with a liberal political elite catering to them as well as the wealthy billionaires buying up properties everywhere. 

Edited by Gov Hooka

27 minutes ago, ProudLBS said:

Not knowing whose husband you’ll sleep with until you get there is kinda hot imo

Not when they all look like they have Mike Myers new face but worse 

1 hour ago, Pavement Princess said:

Mine hasn’t increased in 5 years. 

It's time to start expropriation properties from wealthy owners. It should be illegal to own a home but not live in it. 

13 minutes ago, What_A_Mess said:

Good to know that London isn’t the only one with crazy rents and even crazier house prices. It’s impossible to buy a flat here unless you’re a millionaire/billionaire and even renting is getting harder. Had to move to zone 4 and live in a shared flat with my sister. Transportation is good but it’s still takes me 45 minutes with the Tube to get to central London for work daily.

My boyfriend studies in UK, shares a house with 2 other guys in Hackney, and their landlord fixes pretty much nothing but gladly pulls in 2500+ pounds per month from their rent :rip: One of the rooms literally only has room for a bed and nothing else.

25 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

Not when they all look like they have Mike Myers new face but worse 

:deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.