Why is pop music viewed as terrible and "thoughtless"?

Ricardo1993

7 hours ago, GoatGly said:

I’m of the opinion the girls MAKE the music what it is though 

True. A lot of pop songs probably wouldn’t have worked as well with male vocals. And women can usually provide more variety in the visual aspect to their music that most straight men wouldn’t feel comfortable with too.

Well, it's pretty much the only genre where people (not referring to them as "artists" on purpose), that have no musical talents/skills at all, can succeed to have very short-lived, yet somewhat successful hit songs. :gaycat5:

It is viewed as something made to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Similar reasons people hate Friends. They find it corny, etc,. stale. 

As for that study idk the basis of that lol, which pop music was being reviewed anyway?

10 hours ago, Planet Mars said:

Probably Rockism, especially the version that emerged in the late 90's during the rise of teen pop.

That's a good point.

People (30/40 y/o white men from reddit) who listen to Rock always complain about Pop and Rap and how they are not "REAL" music

Because it's safe music made solely for the charts, I suppose. 

Popstars are also seen as carefully manufactured products, not as artists.

I think y'all are looking at those specific comments and then thinking everyone also views pop music that way but in reality, most people listens to playlists, songs on charts or viral ones so basically, pop music.

i bet those saying pop music is bad would cream their pants if their favorite song hit number 1 and then pretend to hate it because it's popular.

I listen to every single 'genre' (I dont believe in genres as its dated concept and its rooted in racism and classism), so I really cant tell you. 

I listen to 'Pop' when I want something 'light' , cute and fun. Possibly to dance or listen to something that is not offensive which means in family/group setting.

I think a alot of artists by now showed how you can do 'pop' and still be 'an artist'. I think even Queen and King of Pop showed that.

Honorable mention: Sting 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.