Why is pop music viewed as terrible and "thoughtless"?

Ricardo1993

'Pop music is for children and idiots. ' Legendary Nirvana producer Steve Albini on 2SER Sydney 

Research proves what our parents have been saying all along: Modern pop music really is worse than older generations of pop music. Not only that, it has negative effects on your brain, too — if you're chiefly a pop music fan, you're likely to be less creative than any other kind of music lover.

25w54l.png

I personally enjoy a lot of pop music ranging from Gaga to Legendtina Aguilera, J.Lo, Beyonce, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Doja Cat, and many more. I don't really listen to much male pop music though except The Weekend, Backstreet Boys, Nsyncs first two albums, Michael Jackson, David Bowie albums here and there but its not really something I go out of my way to listen to. I also love this Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself. 

List some artists who you think may be responsible for this awful stereotype.

15 minutes ago, Ricardo1993 said:

The stereotypes probably started with Madonna or Paula Abdul, but they definitely got taken to the next level with Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and *NSYNC. Some later pop acts like Kesha were used as an example of this stereotype too

Pop has always been seen as cheesy and not respectable due to its feminine & youthful nature, much like Disco was seen as ‘bad’ due to its black & queer nature. 

I think MTV also played a huge role to enhance that stereotype. 

Edited by PopKills

People hate pop music because it’s a genre enjoyed by women and gay men primarily :lakitu: 

5 minutes ago, PopKills said:

Pop has always been seen as cheesy and not respectable due to its feminine & youthful nature, much like Disco was seen as ‘bad’ due to its black & queer nature. 

5 minutes ago, GoatGly said:

People hate pop music because it’s a genre enjoyed by women and gay men primarily :lakitu: 

this :cm:

plus I don’t think people realize how hard it is to construct a good pop song 

26 minutes ago, PopKills said:

This, it's rooted in sexism and racism. Nowadays most famous popstars are females so it's really no surprise either. 

And lmao at straight men acting like they aren't just as embarrassing, if not worse, when it comes to their oh so beloved rock bands :rip:

Pretentious music nerd being pretentious music nerd. Shocking

• ATRL Moderator

Not sure. Every single genre has dumb and thoughtless music, but they shouldn't characterize the entirety of their respective genres.

i don’t think it’s viewed lile that anymore :rip: 

not since late 2000s at least. 

Edited by Infatuation_Junkie

It’s easily consumed, easy to manufacture, and easier to market then any genre. Hence why it’s called pop music, it will always be popular by the general audience 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Pretentious music nerd being pretentious music nerd. Shocking

35 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

The stereotypes probably started with Madonna or Paula Abdul, but they definitely got taken to the next level with Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and *NSYNC. Some later pop acts like Kesha were used as an example of this stereotype too

Fighters always sneaking Xtina with those 3 except now :eli: funny

ot: It has always been this way

old folks hating on anything new

or if it's Just the Pop music, it's still just snobbish behavriour

like..pop music is happy mostly..but it has layers to it, Just like their beloved Rock groups

it's just what u chose to listen :michael:

1 minute ago, Rev8 said:

like..pop music is happy mostly..but it has layers to it, Just like their beloved Rock groups

I include where appropriate :eli: If you look at how people disparaged pop music in the teen pop days she’s usually not included and would be mentioned as an outlier because of her voice. Like if they has to include her, then would say things along the lines of “She’s talented and can actually sing. Why does she have to make that kind of bad pop music too?” 

2 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Yeah the Beatles got skull dragged by the older crowd for instance during their peak :dies: I remember hearing about a review for their performance after their American debut that ripped them to shreds and was so wrong in hindsight :bibliahh:

ot: racism and misogyny but it has been improving since the 2000s

the main issue I’ve seen is that music is made in a “factory” with less attention to music and more on looks 

one of the reasons why glam metal for instance died in the early 90s (thank you nirvana)

1 hour ago, GoatGly said:

It’s an interesting contrast too since pop music is produced/written mostly by straight men 

10 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

It’s an interesting contrast too since pop music is produced/written mostly by straight men 

I’m of the opinion the girls MAKE the music what it is though 

2 hours ago, GoatGly said:

This

41DCC10F-888B-4F4E-8BCC-7227DCE8C339.thu

Not really but it is the genre women and gay men primarily listen to tho.

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

Anyway, since Atrl always says Ariana and Dua represent the current pop landscape, I can understand why some would think pop is terrible and especially thoughtless.

K bye for now, Sunshine. <3

1 hour ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

It’s easily consumed, easy to manufacture, and easier to market then any genre. Hence why it’s called pop music, it will always be popular by the general audience 

This. 

It’s always been cool to be edgy 

Misogyny :cm: 

Pop music is catered primarily to teenage women, which is not the cool demographic

Edited by mathekr

I blame Artpop :-* gp threw the whole genre away and switched like cigarettes to rap

3 hours ago, Ricardo1993 said:

Late 90s teen pop and Early 10s electropop artists in general tbh.

It's just a stereotype, in fact ive never seen it be used to prescribe exclusively pop music nowadays. A lot of people think mainstream music in general is thoughtless.

Probably Rockism, especially the version that emerged in the late 90's during the rise of teen pop.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.