Is atheophobia underrated and overlooked by modern society?

truthteller

Atheophobia (uncountable)

1. Fear or hatred of atheism or atheists

By population size, atheists are ranked at #3 (which also includes secular, nonreligious, and agnostic group):

Below is each religion's total estimated population for 2020:

Christianity - 2.38 billion

Islam - 1.91 billion

Unaffiliated - 1.19 billion (including Secular, Nonreligious, Agnostic, and Atheist)

Hinduism - 1.16 billion

Buddhism - 507 million

Folk Religions - 430 million

Other Religions - 61 million

Judaism - 14.6 million

While being a minority in theology beliefs, is atheophobia always being overlooked by modern society?

:rainy:

Edited by truthteller

Yes I think the seemingly infinite hatred coming from religious groups is an under-looked problem.  Doesn’t matter who they hate, atheists, women, gays, other religions, etc, it is all bad and needs to be cut out at the source. 

I mean not on the systemic level that many groups face, but yeah, non-religious people get a lot of crap. 

Edited by HeavyMetalAura

3 minutes ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

I mean not on the systemic level that POC, LGBTQ+ people, disabled people, and factory-farmed animals experience oppression, but yeah, non-religious people get a lot of crap. 

You just skipped over one of the most oppressed groups in history. 

Quite the opposite these days. Science is the new dominant ideology over religion.

8 minutes ago, Tropez said:

9 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Whoops yes I did -  I edited the post to be more vague rather than specific so I don’t seem exclusive. A real list would be practically endless, I was just going off the top of my head. 

How are things in 1953? If you act now you can prevent certain pop girls from ever being born

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalAura said:

I mean not on the systemic level that many groups face, but yeah, non-religious people get a lot of crap. 

"Around the world, a number of countries continue to criminalise atheists and humanists, with 13 having laws which enable them to impose the death penalty"

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-13-countries-where-being-an-atheist-is-punishable-by-death-a6960561.html

original.png

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/12/13-countries-where-atheism-punishable-death/355961/

Edited by truthteller

I mean we literally have laws in some countries that have people executed for being atheist so ??

Edited by LustSpell

6 minutes ago, truthteller said:

"Around the world, a number of countries continue to criminalise atheists and humanists, with 13 having laws which enable them to impose the death penalty"

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-13-countries-where-being-an-atheist-is-punishable-by-death-a6960561.html

original.png

Where is the legend for this map… The black pins are death penalty im assuming but what about the other colours?

Executions for religious crimes even in those 13 countries are still extremely rare btw

Actually, now that you mention it I've experienced atheophobia several times but never homophobia (besides the ARTrave where a homeless guy called me f*ggot)

My mom doesn't care that I'm gay, but she can't quite grasp how I can be non-religious. And I've had several friends I thought were open minded who couldn't quite grasp it either. "So... you don't go to church?" Like what 

As much as I respect people & their religions/Beliefs I personally find religion so dumb. I swear (The irony, I know) lol

But seriously. I have a part time job at a gas station ( I Know terrible, but I do it because I'm helping out a friend) But anyway. The other day, this guy (maybe in his early to mid 20s) went in there looking for a propane Tank. & Normally when they get a propane tank they either exchange an empty 1 for a full one. So, I proceeded to ask him if he was doing that, exchanging an empty one for a full one (which is way cheaper than just buying a full one) So he's like no, I want a "NEW" one. So when they say that it usually means that they just want to buy a full tank without exchanging an empty one for a full one. BUT NOPE he literally meant that he wanted a NEW untouched one because I guess his "Religion" demanded a brand new untouched one. So, I proceeded to tell him that finding a BRAND NEW untouched propane tank was nearly impossible to find around here, unless you literally go to the factory where they make those thanks lol. So then he made me go through this long annoying process of refunding him his $ for the "new" tank he had just paid for. I'm like dude really??? All this annoying hassle just because your "religion" demands a literal NEW & Untouched propane tank? Like it's not that serious! I just wanted to tell him to eff off and that we don't do refunds on those tanks. But I know that if I had denied him a refund he would have caused a scene because I was being prejudice towards his religion.

Anyway, before he paid for the stupid tank, I asked him if he was sure that it was what he wanted, and he was in a hurry so he just kept saying yes & just wanted to pay & leave already. He's like "You told me that this was going to be a. NEW Untouched tank!!! I need to get my Money back because my religion requires an untouched tank blah blah blah" I'm like dude! When people come in here saying that they want a new tank they just mean that they don't have another tank to exchange. Not that they literally want a brand new untouched tank lol. Allllll of this BS just because of his dang religion lol. FOH

what kindve oppression olympics. while i agree atheists do get hate from religious groups, it’s practically a non-issue in the west where most of y’all live. people who are religious but not christian get far more hate both socially and systemically.

It has extreme consequences in other countries so yes. It's a complicated topic to have in countries like the US or UK though because it doesn't have the same consequences so you have to put it in global terms.

That being said,even in the US Atheists are seen as less trustworthy than rapists which is an interesting statistic to me.

I mean people don't cause me harm for my lack of belief, but when I do say I'm Atheist people switch up on a social level. Think you have no morals,etc,.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-atheists-we-distrust/

Edited by Wicked

2 hours ago, tellem said:

Where is the legend for this map… The black pins are death penalty im assuming but what about the other colours?

Executions for religious crimes even in those 13 countries are still extremely rare btw

I looked at the map for Australia where I live and it’s got a pin because some religious schools get state funding and because you can’t incite hatred against people based on religion. I assume it’s similar for other light pins.

Very weird it got a pin though considering like 40% of the country is non-religious.

2 hours ago, tellem said:

i extracted the picture from this article but couldnt find the legends.. i guess the source was either too old or got updated since Dec 2013 (when it was first published)

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/12/13-countries-where-atheism-punishable-death/355961/

And actually, atheists or non-believers in some places would face quite a lot of hate, which even led to their death.

e.g. Atheists being targeted and murdered actually happened in bangladesh between 2013-2016. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/11/bangladesh-murders-bloggers-foreigners-religion

Edited by truthteller

38 minutes ago, Nip Tuck said:

what kindve oppression olympics. while i agree atheists do get hate from religious groups, it’s practically a non-issue in the west where most of y’all live. people who are religious but not christian get far more hate both socially and systemically.

"what kindve oppression olympics" :rainy:

It's 2022. Only weirdos, old people and people being forced to do it are religious or pretend to get their hands on vulnerable creatures and their money or virginity. 

And all that because a group of men made up stories in a hut... :dies:

My friend escaped Iran because he was an atheist, and he can't never return back now cause he would be killed for being an atheist. His family also disowned him.

Yes it is definitely under discussed. I can't at people in this thread acting like it doesn't get you jailed and murdered in many countries. And disowned/excluded from your family in further places.

2 hours ago, truthteller said:

"what kindve oppression olympics" :rainy:

Do you think atheophobia is such a serious issue in modern society that it should be talked about as much as other forms of oppression?

Unlike most forms of oppression and hatred being religious is a choice. You don’t choose to be a POC, or lgbt, or poor etc. You choose to be religious or non-religious. That’s why it’s not as discussed. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.