The Rings of Power | Amazon | Season 2 begins August 29 | Teaser Out | LotR Prequel

Eóghan

28 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

I've been thinking about this too. I'm almost concerned that Amazon has been so quiet since that initial announcement. 

However, I just finished episode four and WHEW I am truly loving this series :wanda:

Yes considering HOTD renewed for season 2 immediately after it overperformed expectations, it's a bit eerie Amazon hasn't greenlighted a season 2 for this show considering the budget :rip: 

Oh wait I just read they pre-ordered 5 seasons before even getting any sort of public interest. That is BOLD :rip: 

Edited by Gaia

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eóghan

• Drowned8World

• SpankGangsta

• Feanor

5 hours ago, Gaia said:

Yes considering HOTD renewed for season 2 immediately after it overperformed expectations, it's a bit eerie Amazon hasn't greenlighted a season 2 for this show considering the budget :rip: 

Oh wait I just read they pre-ordered 5 seasons before even getting any sort of public interest. That is BOLD :rip: 

Purchasing the IP was extremely expensive for them so that's why they're gung ho about the number of seasons.
The only thing that could get Rings of Power cancelled is if Amazon Studios itself gets shut down. And honestly, I don't think that's impossible.

The show seems to be doing decently but it's not a cultural phenomenon so far...

8 hours ago, Gaia said:

They´re doing this for the art :clap3:

I think after season 1 is finished more people will watch the show. My BF himself prefer to watch the show all at once instead of 1 ep per week (we watched ep 1 together).

2 hours ago, Harrier said:

Purchasing the IP was extremely expensive for them so that's why they're gung ho about the number of seasons.
The only thing that could get Rings of Power cancelled is if Amazon Studios itself gets shut down. And honestly, I don't think that's impossible.

The show seems to be doing decently but it's not a cultural phenomenon so far...

29 minutes ago, Madonno said:

They´re doing this for the art :clap3:

I think after season 1 is finished more people will watch the show. My BF himself prefer to watch the show all at once instead of 1 ep per week (we watched ep 1 together).

They should have chosen a different air time. Maybe spring. Airing at the same time as HOTD would inevitably draw comparisons due to be similar in nature. 

That’s definitely affecting it right now since HOTD is acclaimed online while Rings of Power isn’t. A lot are comparing it to HOTD when they say it isn’t good. 

We were talking about HOTD at work and my boss literally said, “It’s much better than that Lord of the Rings new show which was not good.” :rip: 

I read an article that interviewed an Amazon studio executive that was basically like if Amazon can’t get a hit show out of a big brand like LOTR….Amazon is likely to reconsider even having Amazon Studios. 

6 minutes ago, Gaia said:

They should have chosen a different air time. Maybe spring. Airing at the same time as HOTD would inevitably draw comparisons due to be similar in nature. 

That’s definitely affecting it right now since HOTD is acclaimed online while Rings of Power isn’t. A lot are comparing it to HOTD when they say it isn’t good. 

We were talking about HOTD at work and my boss literally said, “It’s much better than that Lord of the Rings new show which was not good.” :rip: 

I read an article that interviewed an Amazon studio executive that was basically like if Amazon can’t get a hit show out of a big brand like LOTR….Amazon is likely to reconsider even having Amazon Studios. 

Amazon announced RoP first for September. HBO announced HotD 2 months later for Mid August. 

Edited by SpankGangsta

9 minutes ago, Gaia said:

Well, The Rings of Power was announced months before HOTD...

This serie will shine eventually, and by it own.

The comparison are pointless, like apples to oranges.

10 hours ago, Gaia said:

i'm 95% sure he didn't even watch it or if he did, he just hate-watched for few minutes because it's trendy to do it. :rip:

Finally got around to watch episode 3 & 4, I'm currently abroad with a bad connection so I won't settle for less than 480p, especially for such visuals. Still enjoying the show a lot. But I really can't wait to binge it all, weirdly I can't get used to the tv format for LOTR still.

I might just wait for the whole season to be out when I'm home and binge it.

I didn't see anyone say anything about it on this thread, but there's something really fishy about Halbrand. He gives off a mysterious vibe, I can't quite put my finger on it but he has a very "manipulative" energy. Also Elrond's twin brother created this whole ass majestic island kindgom while being a simple mortal, and he's other there writing speeches, being an errand boy for people who look down on him for being a half-elf:lmao:He picked the wrong team.

Music continues to impress me too. I have "Plea to the Rocks" on repeat right now. Sophia Nomvete's pipes :worship2:

For people looking for content connected to the show, I'd really recommend the new channel Rings & Realms created by the Tolkien Professor (Dr Corey Olsen) He breaks down the show with analysis of the themes and philosophy of Tolkien in each episodes. 

It's a whole ass budget on it's own :deadbanana2:, it's really well made and it's a fascinating listen if y'all love that world and haven't read the books.

If y'all are looking for a shorter and more express content; I'd recommend ScreenCrush's channel

Ryan does a fanstatic job layin down all the easter eggs and the call back to the movies and books. He really knows his stuff, and I'm always shook at the amount of connection he manages to dig up + the top notch editing.

just noticed that they did a really good job casting Gil Galad for this series

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is so crazy how different these episodes are perceived. Apparently the viewers can't decide on a uniform opinion on the quality of an episode. The last episode was my least favorite (although it had the most action), but this week's episode is my favorite of the season. However I know there are many people that think it is the other way around.

I feel like the pacing was the most perfect in this one, they never cut away too soon and always linger enough in each group of the world. I particularly loved the interactions and dialogues in this one.

- I'm glad the harfoots are back, I'm really enjoying how the magic is portrayed through the stranger, it's lowkey and tasteful.

- Elrond and Durin, again being the mvp that they are.

- Galadriel showing some needed vulnerability.

- The origin of Mithril is a welcome addition to the lore. Really cool stuff.

- And also I keep flip flopping with Halbrand and the stranger, every episode i think one is evil and the other is good lol This week I'm on board with Halbrand but now I think the stranger is a baddie because he's being followed by those evil priestesses ...

• ATRL Moderator

The way I just love Elrond :wanda:

Yeah, this episode was kinda slow and I much preferred last week's episode.

Although Numenor is still such a fantastically and fully relied place, that every scene there is great.

Setup heavy episode this week. I enjoyed Galadriel more in this episode.

Even as a Tolkein nerd, I'm so lost with the true identity of some of these characters. I hope we get at least one reveal by the end of the season :deadbanana2:

The human healer chick suddenly rose to be the leader and ask people to fight with her lmfao

The Elf King is such a shady *****

Why is the little sister of Isildur against the voyage?

I enjoy this episode, very excited for next week

Honestly the visual washes GoT, they just really drop the ball with the pilot episode being so underwhelming while HotD pilot is their best ep so far

Edited by SpankGangsta

53 minutes ago, SpankGangsta said:

The human healer chick suddenly rose to be the leader and ask people to fight with her lmfao

The Elf King is such a shady *****

Why is the little sister of Isildur against the voyage?

I enjoy this episode, very excited for next week

Honestly the visual washes GoT, they just really drop the ball with the pilot episode being so underwhelming while HotD pilot is their best ep so far

Well, both her father and brother are heading for war and with that there's always the risk of one or both dying in battle.

And since her mother has passed, it looks like they're her only family left + a mysterious other brother we haven't seen yet

OT: Also speaking of Isildur, I hope they drop his nickname "Isil" by next season :rip:  It highkey sounds ridiculous when they say it in the show :gaycat6:

Nothing wrong in saying his full name.

I didn't have a problem with the Nori plot until this latest episode. Now I kinda see what other people are saying lol. I just wasn't feeling her side of the episode this week. I'm much more interested in what's going on in the Southlands. 

I love the Elrond/Durin stuff. Every episode they are a treat to watch. The Halbrand/Galadriel stuff is cool too but I'm glad their story moved forward even more this episode. 

Halbrand is sexy as hell. They should let him and Galadriel hook up but they never will lol. They too scared of Tolkien stans lol. The actors have really good chemistry. But if he's who I think he is then I can see why they said nevermind. That would be kinda awkward. 

Overall I enjoyed episode 5

Has it been decided that this is a great show or is it just being trolled?

Edited by LP54

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, LP54 said:

Has it been decided that this is a great show or is it just being trolled?

I don't think there will ever be a general consensus as audiences are too far split. I personally am loving it (don't think it's perfect but really find it difficult to understand the harsher criticism some viewers are giving it). 

Just caught up on today's episode and while I agree there was a lot of set up I thoroughly enjoyed it. Elrond giving me all the feels :wanda:

I also liked this episode. the preview for the next episode looks epic.....that blast or whatever omg

The leader of the orcs kinda feels like it is not Sauron. When he beat up that old man. Makes me think it’s not him. According to lore sauron was extremely deceptive and cunning. That’s why he was able to do so much harm for so long because nobody knew who the real sauron is during the 2nd age. He was so deceptive he even tricked the elves, men,  and dwarves. Considering everyone seems to know who sauron is in this show. I honestly think sauron will play multiple characters and always make people guess. He had the ability to change forms and I think it will be someone unexpecting. 

1 minute ago, Floren said:

I think Sauron might be the old man with Nori. Idk why but I feel he lost his memories and they're trying to make us think he's Gandalf 

Yes, this. The Stranger is Sauron I think.

I great episode. I think Amazon is pulling this off quite well so far. Of course it's not perfect, but far from any disaster people might say it is. 

Wasn't Sauron an elf once ? Isn't he supposed to have pointy ears, like Adar ?

Anyways, the show is pretty but boring so far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.