Shawn Mendes pens open letter

EnoughSaid

7 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

sis, he's a canadian, not american lol

nnn my bad but doesn’t matter anyway:

6 hours ago, lenchen. said:

This letter has the same problems as his songs: he’s talking so much but not saying anything at all.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brraap

• inmymendes

• rigo

• Into The Void

So why is it only considered problematic and “assuming someone’s sexuality” when you imply or believe they are something other than straight? Isn’t assuming someone is straight ALSO assuming their sexuality? Where’s the outrage towards the “someone is straight until they tell you otherwise” crowd? 

And also let be real, the reason everyone jumped to the same conclusion he was coming out is because thinly veiled “I wish I could tell people my truth” posts always have a certain implication and it isn’t “I really do like Pepsi! I do!”

”But he said he was straight so that’s a fact until he says otherwise!” Well, it wasn’t a fact when my gay ass said I was straight until my early 20’s… y’all ain’t new here. 

The thing is, Shawn's fans know that if he were to not be straight, it wouldn't be something Shawn himself is in tune with, because... my gays... Shawn f*cks women left and right. It's known if you actually pay attention. He slides into Instagram model DMs and sleeps with them. He also had some sort of low key relationship with Alessia Cara until he and Camila made things official. AND he and Camila were likely lowkey sleeping together on and off for a few years.

It's not impossible for him to not be completely straight, but he doesn't seem to be embracing that in his personal life at all. And, frankly, the only reason to believe he's not straight is that he's effeminate, which is a terrible reason to assume someone's sexuality.

Also, being lost in your mid 20s is not a queer only experience at all. It's the most normal thing in the world. I think at some point it just gets old and frustrating to see it over and over.

PS it also pisses me off that so many people jump to believe a man who's explicitly said he's straight multiple times and has only been seen with women is closeted and gay, but Harry who's said multiple times he doesn't label his sexuality and expressed attraction towards people regardless of gender multiple times gets called straight and a queerbaiter. It feels like it all comes down to mannerisms and stereotypes, and because Harry looks more masculine (clothes and styling aside) people will struggle admitting he's not straight until he publicly dates a man. At this point I don't think even a statement would suffince from him.

He's so... boring. Which is the biggest no-no in entertainment. Has nothing to say at all. Serving 40yo at 23. A mess 

its giving, its giving... tell atrl u're gay without telling atrl u're gay :gaycat2:

Spoiler

It's sarcasm for those who can get easily offended

Edited by Grumpy Cat

2 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

The thing is, Shawn's fans know that if he were to not be straight, it wouldn't be something Shawn himself is in tune with, because... my gays... Shawn f*cks women left and right. It's known if you actually pay attention. He slides into Instagram model DMs and sleeps with them. He also had some sort of low key relationship with Alessia Cara until he and Camila made things official. AND he and Camila were likely lowkey sleeping together on and off for a few years.

It's not impossible for him to not be completely straight, but he doesn't seem to be embracing that in his personal life at all. And, frankly, the only reason to believe he's not straight is that he's effeminate, which is a terrible reason to assume someone's sexuality.

Also, being lost in your mid 20s is not a queer only experience at all. It's the most normal thing in the world. I think at some point it just gets old and frustrating to see it over and over.

PS it also pisses me off that so many people jump to believe a man who's explicitly said he's straight multiple times and has only been seen with women is closeted and gay, but Harry who's said multiple times he doesn't label his sexuality and expressed attraction towards people regardless of gender multiple times gets called straight and a queerbaiter. It feels like it all comes down to mannerisms and stereotypes, and because Harry looks more masculine (clothes and styling aside) people will struggle admitting he's not straight until he publicly dates a man. At this point I don't think even a statement would suffince from him.

Agree with everything said here. 

also not 7 pages :lmao:leave this poor boy alone 

2 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

Yes! I agree with everything you said here. 

Hopefully his people offer him the support and courage needed to finally live his truth.

6 hours ago, More Than A Melody said:

And so? DL men sleep with women or say that they're "straight" all the time to cover up their tea. They also try their best to not display or embrace any part of their true sexuality. 

At best, Shawn may be bi, pan or just sexually fluid.

He literally wrote a tiny little paragraph and still said nothing...

Celebrities need to read the room. We normal folks don't/can't relate to you. We don't resonate with you, your millions of dollars, expensive possessions, lavish trips, big mansions, etc. You have a hard time being yourself, and because of that feel like you're failing with your millions of dollars and devoted fans? What does that even mean? If you're gay just say that and move on...

1 hour ago, St. Francis said:

Hopefully his people offer him the support and courage needed to finally live his truth.

And so? DL men sleep with women or say that they're "straight" all the time to cover up their tea. They also try their best to not display or embrace any part of their true sexuality. 

At best, Shawn may be bi, pan or just sexually fluid.

Or he's straight like he said he is multiple times and you should stay out of his business and using stereotypes to catalogue strangers' personal lives?

That was a lot of rambling. The truth the truth the truth. Get to the point.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, XXI. said:

He literally wrote a tiny little paragraph and still said nothing...

Celebrities need to read the room. We normal folks don't/can't relate to you. We don't resonate with you, your millions of dollars, expensive possessions, lavish trips, big mansions, etc. You have a hard time being yourself, and because of that feel like you're failing with your millions of dollars and devoted fans? What does that even mean? If you're gay just say that and move on...

This lol

it’s just so out of touch 

What is he saying? There's no substance to this letter at all. Isn't he supposed to be a songwriter? 

On 4/23/2022 at 1:41 AM, More Than A Melody said:

Or he's straight like he said he is multiple times and you should stay out of his business and using stereotypes to catalogue strangers' personal lives?

He made it everyone's business to publish that letter.

Besides, when you're in the public eye, people are going to have opinions on you.

30 minutes ago, St. Francis said:

He made it everyone's business to publish that letter.

Besides, when you're in the public eye, people are going to have opinions on you.

The open letter mentions nothing about his sexuality, which he has repeatedly said is straight. If that changes and he wants to make it public, he will. Until then, it's none of your business.

And the second sentence is extremely toxic mentality, imo. Celebrities are still people.

I get the notion that his sexuality is a personal matter, but I promise you outside of GayTRL the biggest conversation and speculation on him is that… he seems gay. So when he pens a nonsensical letter that implies he’s not living his “truth” the first thought is going to be about his sexuality. You’re being purposely naive if you pretend like it’s not your first implicit thought, lol.

11 minutes ago, Pavement Princess said:

I get the notion that his sexuality is a personal matter, but I promise you outside of GayTRL the biggest conversation and speculation on him is that… he seems gay. So when he pens a nonsensical letter that implies he’s not living his “truth” the first thought is going to be about his sexuality. You’re being purposely naive if you pretend like it’s not your first implicit thought, lol.

outside of atrl and people opsessed with celebrities nobody cares about the thinkpieces or notes app screenshots celebrities post on their social media.

No one can tell me otherwise, he looks and sounds gay.

He homoséxual. Just come out we'll still play Senorita! :heart2:

He needs Camila back, that‘s all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.