NY Senator ends Dr. Luke’s Case, Files Brief in Support of Kesha

gettsleazy

Great news! I hope she finally gets justice and that man gets what he deserves :clap3: 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• Espresso

• SmittenCake

• Into The Void

4 hours ago, cyclone said:

I'm shook if all of this is true, I just dont understand how the law drafted by Hoylman was even interpreted as non retroactive in the first place in this  case: isnt this a big deal and a big component of the law that should have been crystal clear before hand? To avoid stuff like this from happening?

Technically it is clear, but the judges ignored and misinterpreted a lot of things.

The first draft of the law included "prospectively only" language, meaning it was only supposed apply prospectively. This language was deleted from the final bill and Senator Hoylman explained that this happened with the explicit goal in mind to make the law retroactive. When the language of a law is ambiguous, courts look to the legislative history of the law to understand the legislative intent behind it which is then used to interpret the law. Here, this legislative history makes clear that the law was supposed to apply retroactively, but for some reason these judges ignored this and only focused on the (ambiguous) language of the law itself and then decided the ambiguity is insufficient to determine retroactivity.

The second paragraph of the amended law (§70-a) has in-built retroactivity language because it states that attorney's fees shall be recovered for lawsuits that have been "commenced or continued" after the amended statute took effect. The judges only looked at §76-a which forces plaintiffs to prove that a defamation defendant acted with actual malice. They decided that this paragraph is not retroactive and did not independently look at at §70-a and therefore ignored this language.

They also applied a wrong standard. Usually, remedial legislation (such as this law) is supposed to apply retroactively so that it can benefit as many people as possible. Here, the judges relied on a 2020 case from New York's highest court called Regina which strictly limited retroactivity in the context of rent control and interpreted in a way that retroactive application in general has been further limited. But Regina talks about non-remedial legislation, so it is misapplied here.

Edited by TomTom2288

Dr Luke will pay, as will all the rape apologists who are still willingly working with him.

I need Britney to show support for kesha :jonny5:

COME ON GIRLIE :clap3:

1 hour ago, Totami Legend said:

I need Britney to show support for kesha :jonny5:

It would be great, but Britney doesn't show support for other women, she only demands it for herself. :katie:

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

Honey we're not bitter nor do we focus on Kesha one bit. We don't care about ha. It's nothing but good vibes. Why do you have such a peculiar obsession with holding on to this narrative? Truly disturbing. Your prying eyes looking at screenshots of a private server you're not apart of? Tell me you're a fan without telling me you're a fan ;) 

:rofl:

6 hours ago, Bicassie said:

Get them! :clap3:

Now sis… remember what happened the last time you played this game? :rip:

Dumb and dumber just can’t keep their mouths shut can they. 

Anyway this is fantastic news :jonny5:

2 hours ago, Coma Baby said:

It would be great, but Britney doesn't show support for other women, she only demands it for herself. :katie:

Not true, she showed love to Selena, Ariana and Lady Gaga very recently.

Kesha and Britney needs to join forces against Sony

6 hours ago, Coma Baby said:

this disgusting lie :rip: seek help

On 4/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, Coma Baby said:

I know this is sarcasm and I laughed but don’t be slandering Britney ??

Billboard article:

Edited by TomTom2288

This has been going for a while, hopefully she will win at the end and close this chapter that brought nothing but pain and financial losses for her.

1 hour ago, TomTom2288 said:

Billboard article:

Loving this :clap3:

Great news for her but I just can't believe how long the whole thing is taking :sosad: Justice!!!!!! :heart:

7 hours ago, UnusualBoy said:

This has been going for a while, hopefully she will win at the end and close this chapter that brought nothing but pain and financial losses for her.

Unfortunately both sides suffered pain and financial losses. This case needs to just end already, it's gone on too long.

3 hours ago, TomTom2288 said:

:jonny5:

ugh hopefully this raises awareness of this case with the public :jonny5:

I really can't keep up with this case. :jonny: Who is actually succeeding? I've always figured Luke's entire plan is just to completely drain Kesha of every penny, which is clearly working given Kesha's constant peddling of wares and old clothes on eBay etc. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.