Dune: Part 2 | Starring Timothée C., Zendaya, Austin Butler| 95% RT | Now Playing!

James_Dean

5 hours ago, rac7d said:

Hope it flirts with 200 million 

It should. I think it will go past it. Something like $84M domestic and $118M OS for $202M. Early China presales are looking nice so maybe it can debut to $20-25M+ the weekend after and help bolster the 2nd wknd. 

$600M+ seems certain with that kind of opening. 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BNF91

• James_Dean

• illia

• mystery

Top Posters In This Topic

And it begins..

France, Italy and South Korea all off to great starts. 

South Korea opens to $1.15M, headed for $8M 5-day debut (Part 1 was $3.1M 5-day). Audience score is great, an "A".

France was on par with Barbie on opening day with $800K. Weekend might look like $9-11M+. Audience scores there are incredible, 4.5/5.  

Italy grossed $280K on very limited Tuesday previews (1 screening). Part 1 did $550k on its full opening day (including previews). 

• Thanks 1

Sunday can't come soon enough.:jonny5:

So glad for the insightful tracking again, @BNF91! Really enjoyed your posts in the Avatar 2 thread (and catching more info here and there after), looking forward to you tracking this to hopefully $7-800M! Cheers.

• Like 2

I think as long as this movie makes at least $600 M, it should be profitable for WB. I don’t think this will get to $1B though. Not everyone is a sci fi/fantasy fan 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BNF91 said:

And it begins..

France, Italy and South Korea all off to great starts. 

South Korea opens to $1.15M, headed for $8M 5-day debut (Part 1 was $3.1M 5-day). Audience score is great, an "A".

France was on par with Barbie on opening day with $800K. Weekend might look like $9-11M+. Audience scores there are incredible, 4.5/5.  

Italy grossed $280K on very limited Tuesday previews (1 screening). Part 1 did $550k on its full opening day (including previews). 

If this does $450M+ overseas it almost doesn't matter how it does domestic, it will still be profitable

All I want is for this to smash so we can get Dune Messiah and Children of Dune movies. After that it starts to get weird and is probably better for an HBO miniseries though :rip: People are not ready for

Spoiler

Timothee's future son as a giant worm-man monster having sex with a petite woman

And then Heretics and Chapterhouse gets borderline illegal, if you know you know :rip: 

Edited by MatiRod
  • Like 1

What are your final predictions for OW dom/worldwide and legs + final gross? People on BOT are being way too negative and are saying walkups are meh to terrible in US, Korea, France etc. Got me scared a bit but I believe some of them are quite biased against Dune like Charlie so I would like to see better predictions @BNF91

Edited by KnightOfAllRealms
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KnightOfAllRealms said:

What are your final predictions for OW dom/worldwide and legs + final gross? People on BOT are being way too negative and are saying walkups are meh to terrible in US, Korea, France etc. Got me scared a bit but I believe some of them are quite biased against Dune like Charlie so I would like to see better predictions @BNF91

Yeah it didn't have the best final day of sales tbh they were pretty lackluster, but people are still projecting $9-10M previews (not including the $2M early access showings from last Sunday). The good thing is that this is selling very similar to Oppenheimer in the fact that people are opting for the best seats possible even if it means booking later on than sooner. Sales are spread out nicely throughout the weekend so $80M is still not out of the question. But that's why I guessed $76M with potential growth room in case of big final sales. 

It does seem like casuals aren't connecting as much as hoped, but given the skyhigh WOM this is getting, I think legs will be just fine. 

If we are still on track for $76M debut (plus $2M EA shows) then I dont see how it doesn't hit $200M especially with spring break right around the corner. 

Not too worried about overseas and even China is surprising with solid presales, ahead of Aquaman 2 after 4 days so a $20-25M debut there is possible, which means we won't lose anything from China, might even gain. 

Charlie can be annoying (as well as a few others) who clearly have a slant against the film when they post. 

I'm gonna be honest and say even if this did $65/180 domestic I'd be satisfied. But $70M should be the minimum IMO. 

Dune Part 2 always had a hard limit to general audiences given the "Part Two" bit and being pretty hard sci-fi, and weird to boot. $550-600M is certain, I'm still confident in $600M+. All those $1B predictions were always stupid and not based on any data or facts. 

So I am gonna say $76M debut, $210M domestic, $420M OS, for $630M WW. Back to what I was guessing before review and reaction hype got the best of me lol. Btw there's absolutely no doubt that Messiah is happening. WB wont let this sci-fi franchise bite the dust as it's not only a decent box office franchise, but also one of their prestige awards franchises. Both of those together is a pretty killer combo. 

Edit: some of the BoT guys have entered doom mode. I'm gonna just let the weekend ride out. If the movie is truly as good as reported, I can't see how WOM doesn't affect it. 

Edited by BNF91
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Liafen said:

Sunday can't come soon enough.:jonny5:

So glad for the insightful tracking again, @BNF91! Really enjoyed your posts in the Avatar 2 thread (and catching more info here and there after), looking forward to you tracking this to hopefully $7-800M! Cheers.

Oh thanks for the shout-out, I love tracking box office if you couldn't tell :hug:

• Like 3

I visited my parents today and my mom asked if we could watch Dune again this past evening so she would be ready for Part Two :cries: so we watched it in our theatre room that we built as kids with our stepdad like 2 decades ago. A huge 135 inch projector screen, 8 reclining movie seats and we made movie posters that are still on the wall. The nostalgia was hitting and man it truly felt like being at the theatre again. She is now so pumped for Part Two as she loves Part One and was actually able to keep up with all the names and things happening. I was so impressed. 

Also, China presales are starting to look hot. 3.3M Yuan with 8 tracking days left and presales start to skyrocket as the days get closer to zero. Distancing from Aquaman 2's presales. Better than Oppenheimer at T-5 (compared to Dune T-8). 

UK looks like it's about to have an explosive weekend. Maybe £10M+. 

Edited by BNF91
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, BNF91 said:

I visited my parents today and my mom asked if we could watch Dune again this past evening so she would be ready for Part Two :cries: so we watched it in our theatre room that we built as kids with our stepdad like 2 decades ago. A huge 135 inch projector screen, 8 reclining movie seats and we made movie posters that are still on the wall. The nostalgia was hitting and man it truly felt like being at the theatre again. She is now so pumped for Part Two as she loves Part One and was actually able to keep up with all the names and things happening. I was so impressed. 

Love this :heart2:

So my France # for OD ($800K) was just preview day. I messed up lol. 

Actual OD Wednesday for France looking like $1.4-1.5M. that amazing audience score should help greatly here. Expecting $30-35M+, maybe $40M total here. 

Part 2 OD- 166k adm. (260k w/previews)

Part 1 OD- 115k adm.  (181k w/previews)

It seems like even after having bigger previews, Part 2 didn't blow off steam and made a bigger gap between Part 1 and Part 2's true OD. Maybe WOM already at work. Seems electric in France reviews and reactions. 

Edited by BNF91

France has biggest OD since Barbie with a total $2.3M (incl. previews). It's projected for a huge 1.4M admissions in 1st week ($12-13M).

Korea Day 2 holds strong in the face of Exhuma (local title which is doing all-timer numbers), down just 22% from OD (Wonka was -44%, Dune Pt 1 -41%) for $900k Thursday. $9M 5-day could be possible.  

Chinese presales continue to do very well, now up to 4.7M Chinese Yuan ($660K Vs Aquaman 2 $518K) with 7 days to go. Opening weekend range shifts up to $20-30M. 

Edited by BNF91
  • Thanks 1

I just saw this in 4DX, what an EXPERIENCE!

Surprised the rotten tomatoes score went down :rip:

I got my ticket for Saturday. Can't wait.

Saw this yesterday, movie was really good, the only thing that let me down was that (spoilers)

I was waiting for the moment Paul´s sister kills the Baron like in the original movie, but she didn't even born in this

:deadbanana4:

Edited by MDS
  • Like 1

Just incredible. This was what I was hoping for and more. It felt like I was watching actual future timelines and their history. So many damn insane sequences. 

Harkonnen Arena scene literally brought me there. 

9.7/10

• Like 1

I got an IMAX ticket at Lincoln square by chance and on my birthday so I will be seeing it twice. I'm so excited.

Early domestic Thursday preview estimate looks like $9-9.5M plus $2M EA. $11M+ haul heading into Friday. Good sales through Sunday so hopefully a solid IM (internal multi) from Preview day, hopefully closer to 8 than 7. $68-76M wknd expected. 

Taiwan is breaking out, nearly $900K OD, 107% bigger than Oppenheimer, 172% bigger than The Batman and 229% bigger than Dune. :alexz:

Sweden debuts with $550K OD, half as big as Dune Part 1's entire OW. Maybe close to, if not $2M debut here?

Review

Incredible second act. Def get the Two Towers vibe: once the base is done in movie 1, you can fully deep dive into characters and actions. 

Timothée confirms he’s a movie star AND a great actor. His versatility really is something (Wonka, Bones and all, Dune). His chemistry with Zendaya is hot (she’s great too). 

Entire cast is so well done and each character does have its own evolution/plot. Butler didn’t miss with a role that can be very gimmicky. Great writing for that. 

Like MI franchise, I wish Rebecca Ferguson would benefit more from this franchise to become a star. She really is incredible to watch in anything she does.

Edited by ctlp27
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Lady Margot's seduction scene, jesus christ

:jonnycat:

Edited by BNF91

Ahhhhh. I just came back and I’m GOOPED. One of the best sequels ever made. 

• Like 1

Got my ticket to see it in IMAX on Sunday :jonny5:

• Like 2

On 2/27/2024 at 11:48 PM, BNF91 said:

It should. I think it will go past it. Something like $84M domestic and $118M OS for $202M. Early China presales are looking nice so maybe it can debut to $20-25M+ the weekend after and help bolster the 2nd wknd. 

$600M+ seems certain with that kind of opening. 

It need to hit 800 mill before summer 

So here’s my negative take with the caveat that it is a worthy big screen experience and I’m glad I made the effort to get tickets to see it in IMAX.

That being said, I don’t really get the Two Towers comparison outside of the obvious middle instalment connection; there’s nothing here that comes close to the story telling, sweeping majesty or unbearable tension of Helm’s Deep. It felt closer to the Hunger Games: Mockinyjay films than the levels Jackson was working on (and not just because Walken was giving his best President Snow but without anything as memorable as the roses motif…but we do get a funky looking chess board).

The third act war sequences outside of some initial cool trailer shots are anti climatic and truncated as is the ending proper (which is a source material problem and the movie doesn’t escape it); the larger problem also remains with characters not really having much verve to them, being chained in to grander machinations and fate, and it doesn’t lend well to captivating drama.

And despite the cast doing well enough to service the plot there are no really memorable performances or lines. And it’s Javier Bardem that surprisingly steals the show in that regard as comedic relief. Like Austin Butler is really getting hyped to high heavens for putting on his best Tom Hardy voice throwing and mostly getting to glare (although that’s true of mostly everyone)? The attempts to gag audiences as much as possible by making him as psychotic as possible (rather than just a sullen, pouting political player like he is in the book) borders close to Jared Leto levels of ridiculous. 

The film does its best to give a more cinematic emotional through-line, agency and tension via Chani’s arc…but it’s not enough. The ending point made me want to laugh more than anything and is the perfect metaphor for wanting to get up and leave. It’s just so flat; a beautiful but not very filling soufflé of a movie. Denis’ sense of cinematic scale is commendable, particularly loved the 2001: Space Odyssey references, and he blows the books scale up to their most maximalist heights (although I very much appreciate the toning down of the throat singing in the score this time) but the love and passion people are feeling is bemusing to me. 

Edited by Jessie

Dune is not as accessible as other sci-fi things. I think 400 million is highest this can go even with amazing reviews. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.