Book Discussion

velocity

6 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

Have you read the poppy war? 

spacer.png

No, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. You think I should give that a try before reading Babel or...? :deadbanana:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• fountain

• DanyelP23

• worldwide angel

4 hours ago, iconoclasm said:

No, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. You think I should give that a try before reading Babel or...? :deadbanana:

It’s absolutely awful. Having read it, I doubt I’ll ever read another book by her again 

Have bought Babel, Piranesi and Priory of the Orange Tree. Kinda going through a fantasy/sci-fi phase now.

Has anyone read The Three-Body Problem?

48 minutes ago, Alex21kw said:

Have bought Babel, Piranesi and Priory of the Orange Tree. Kinda going through a fantasy/sci-fi phase now.

priory is overlong but has some great parts. the recent prequel is a step down but still decent.

i read 3 Body 6 years ago but don't remember anything about it.

4 hours ago, Alex21kw said:

Piranesi is so good :jonny5:

Priory was really good, Poppy war was decent but you have to be in the right mindset to read it imo. Babel was a bit overambitious and it showed.

Edited by ChatshireCat

Still in my danmei era :coffee:

Little Mushroom  小蘑菇 - 5/5, amazing, show stopping, spectacular https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60478042-little-mushroom

Heaven's Official Blessing (TGCF): Gonna stop until all the volumes are out in English but I felt like the first 2 books kinda dragged at times https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58701949-heaven-official-s-blessing

The Husky and his White Cat Shizun 二哈和他的白猫师尊: Loved the 2 books that are out so far, a lot of personality in the narrator https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60583047-the-husky-and-his-white-cat-shizun

A Certain Someone 某某 - 5/5, no words https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56580859-a-certain-someone

On 3/21/2023 at 9:03 PM, fridayteenage said:

the first book in the follow up series is less annoying.

Once Upon a Broken Heart? I bought a copy because Barnes & Noble was having a sale :rip:

At least I know it's slightly better 

That will make for such a boring adaption :rip: even Malibu Rising would’ve been a better option 

now i have to get into emily henry 

before the beach read adaptation 

drops. 

in other news i'm currently trudging 

though the wife between us and 

you made a fool of death with 

your beauty

Emily is...fun ig. Super lightweight and mindless but that's what a beach read is

38 minutes ago, worldwide angel said:

now i have to get into emily henry 

before the beach read adaptation 

drops. 

in other news i'm currently trudging 

though the wife between us and 

you made a fool of death with 

your beauty

Are you enjoying You Made a Fool of Death With Your Beauty? I haven’t read it but liked the authors other book The Death of Vivek Oji :lakitu:

1 hour ago, fountain said:

Are you enjoying You Made a Fool of Death With Your Beauty? I haven’t read it but liked the authors other book The Death of Vivek Oji :lakitu:

so far it’s going well, i only just started 

On 4/6/2023 at 2:48 AM, fridayteenage said:

Emily is...fun ig. Super lightweight and mindless but that's what a beach read is

It’s fun if you like her humor. I think she’s doing too much and trying to hard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read The Last Thing He Told Me? I’m thinking of reading the book before watching the series, if it’s worth it.

16 hours ago, spiritboy said:

Has anyone read The Last Thing He Told Me? I’m thinking of reading the book before watching the series, if it’s worth it.

I DNF it when I was almost done with the book :rip:. I thought the entire book was mid but kept on reading on because was curious as to what the reveal was. Once it got to the reveal I was disappointed and just quit the book. I'm not a seasoned thriller reader (been slowly getting more into it) so I don't know how it compares to other books like it. I did not know about the show though. I would honestly say to just watch it instead.

Edited by Lipgloss

Did anyone read The Silent Patient? I started and it's ok but not really giving so far

2 hours ago, Lipgloss said:

I DNF it when I was almost done with the book :rip:. I thought the entire book was mid but kept on reading on because was curious as to what the reveal was. Once it got to the reveal I was disappointed and just quit the book. I'm not a seasoned thriller reader (been slowly getting more into it) so I don't know how it compares to other books like it. I did not know about the show though. I would honestly say to just watch it instead.

it's barely a thriller to be fair despite the marketing. thrills are nearly zero

there are good ones out there

5 hours ago, MonsterJohn said:

Did anyone read The Silent Patient? I started and it's ok but not really giving so far

It’s an enjoyable read. Nothing groundbreaking. 

4 hours ago, Matthew said:

It’s an enjoyable read. Nothing groundbreaking. 

Exactly what's I'm feeling so far

I've read so many mids lately when I tried to pick out the most popular, good reviewed ones recently. Goodreads is not being a good indicator as I thought 

Edited by MonsterJohn

On 4/15/2023 at 8:37 PM, spiritboy said:

Super boring.  I wouldn't even classify this as thriller/suspense, it's just a domestic drama.  

Maybe the show will be good though.  The Flight Attendant was an awful book but the show was pretty good.

23 hours ago, MonsterJohn said:

One of the worst books I've ever read.  I will never understand its Goodreads accolades.  I swear they bought those awards.

If y'all want a top tier domestic thriller, check out:

Ashley Audrain: The Push

Amelia Kahaney: All The Best Liars

Ashley Winstead: The Last Housewife

Chandler Baker: Whisper Network

Jessica Knoll: Luckiest Girl Alive

Edited by Miles.

I finally got around to reading/finishing 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle after putting it off for ages. The ending was certainly… a choice.

I did read The House in the Cerulean Sea not too long ago, and it’s an easy, feel-good read. Would recommend if you’re in the mood for something lighthearted.

I think I might start Molly Tanzer’s Vermilion soon.

Edited by plaidarms

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.