Book Discussion

velocity

currently reading when we were bright and beautiful and i'm loving it so far. i'm in part three and i'm at the edge of my seat. 

i'm so ready to give this book a 5 stars on goodreads

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• fountain

• DanyelP23

• worldwide angel

• 3 weeks later...

Reading The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas and it's quite a bore :rip: I found a decent audiobook narration and reading with the audio at 1.5x speed is helping me get through it. I only paid 5 bucks, but the book isn't that long so I might as well finish it

On 7/27/2023 at 12:45 AM, Hey Dude said:

I still didn't read any books since I posted this :rip:

Welp.

Okay today I'l finally read something 

• Haha 1

I'm reading "Plutoshine" right now. Sci-Fi is my favorite genre + I want to read more books writen by women. I'm not sure how I feel about the book so far. It had some interesting moments but overall it lacks tension. It's a cute Sci-Fi story, nothing spectacular so far but I haven't finished it yet.

apparently they who must not be named is up to the usual tricks in a new book. 

rick riordan's new percy jackson book feels like a ripoff. it's short and only covers 1 of 3 quests he has to do to...get college letters of rec. I def preferred the Nico book.

The Bleach manga's arrancar arc seems never ending. just fight after fight after fight. 

Oh wow. I didn't know that we had a book thread here. Just broke my 2-week reading slump by reading an MLM story ofc:deadbanana4: I'm still hoping to reach 50 books by the end of the year, even though I've already surpassed my goal of 20. What are you guys currently reading?

Thought I'd share the best books I've read this year:

* Lie With Me - Philippe Besson
Beautifully written book. I was bawling my eyes out by the end of it. It's like a wayyyy better version of Call Me By Your Name.

* On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous - Ocean Vuong

Very lyrical and poetic. Was stalling so hard because I didn't want it to end.

Bunny - Mona Awad

I wouldn't actually call this the best book I've read this year but it was the most challenging one. such an absolute mindf***. I can see Ryan Murphy making this book into a show.

* Elena Knows - Claudia Pineiro

Very Intense read. It's about this old lady who has some sort of disease that restricts her movement. Her only daughter died and she's on a quest to find out who killed her. It's about body autonomy, societal pressure, motherhood. Really intense.

Small Things Like These & Foster - Claire Keegan

She's probably become my favorite author ever. Such quick and easy reads but it packs a full punch. Nothing overly dramatic happens but it all simmers throughout the book and then it end at such a high. Also a lot of wisdom in these two books.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation - Ottessa Moshfegh

This book pretty much changed the pacing of my year like it was that serious. This book was just so absurd and twisted and made me rethink my life because the main character was just so exhausting (which is the point) but it felt like I was reading a book about myself minus all the s*** she takes :deadbanana4: Literally changed my life perspective in a way:rip:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

One of the best books I have ever read in my whole life. Felt like a dagger being pulled out of my chest.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2023 at 12:46 AM, thatsmydemi said:

I'm about to finish The House in the Cerulean Sea. It's been such a delightful reading. What a lovely book. I don't remember a book in which I've felt this happy. 

Next one is gonna be Red, White and Royal Blue. I don't have high expectations tbh. I bought it three weeks ago because they finally released the paperback edition in my country and it was really cheap.

Next books I'm buying in June-July are Lie With Me, Swimming in the Dark and On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous. 

I literally read all of these books specifically in like... a month.:deadbanana4: I started The House In The Cerulean Sea in January as I got a physical copy then I read the others in August. I also have Swimming in the Dark in my tbr so it's probably one of the next books i'll pick up once I get my stride back.

1 hour ago, #1Pokpaker said:

Thought I'd share the best books I've read this year:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

One of the best books I have ever read in my whole life. Felt like a dagger being pulled out of my chest.

Wait until you read his 2nd book sis, now that was devastating for me.

Both are among my all time faves so you have taste :clap3:

9 hours ago, MonsterJohn said:

Wait until you read his 2nd book sis, now that was devastating for me.

Both are among my all time faves so you have taste :clap3:

Been holding off on it until I feel like I want something to ruin my life because The Kite Runner absolutely tore me to pieces and had me in a book slump:jonnycat:

Has anyone here read The Midnight Library? It keeps getting recommended on Goodreads and a few booktubers but I just can't get past the first 30 pages :deadbanana4: It feels so uninspired and dull which is sad because I like the premise.

Edited by #1Pokpaker

21 minutes ago, #1Pokpaker said:

Has anyone read here read The Midnight Library? It keeps getting recommended on Goodreads and a few booktubers but I just can't get past the first 30 pages :deadbanana4: It feels so uninspired and dull which is sad because I like the premise.

I also read this, the setup was quite intriguing but it turned out to be very predictable and disingenuous how he uses mental health as the hot topic to drive his book. Sometimes I feel the goodreads ratings can be widely inaccurate especially when it comes to the popular ones

i recently finished the silent patient and the maidens and i was really impressed with alex michaelides writing. sure there are some issues but they're 4+ stars to me. now i'm finally getting into r.f. kuang and i'm enjoying babel (halfway done) and yellowface so far

On 9/29/2023 at 5:38 PM, Hey Dude said:

Welp.

Okay today I'l finally read something 

I literally breathe lies. 

--

Riordan is still doing PJ books? :skull:

Jesus Christ. 

I always preferred Erec Rex by Kaza Kingsley. I would literally zone out when I read those books. Unfortunately the series flopped away in 2012. We were supposed to get 3 more books :weeps:

And Eragon...oh my dear Eragon. Truly the Michelle Branch of fantasy novels. Sad. 

On 10/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, #1Pokpaker said:

Has anyone here read The Midnight Library? It keeps getting recommended on Goodreads and a few booktubers but I just can't get past the first 30 pages :deadbanana4: It feels so uninspired and dull which is sad because I like the premise.

I quite enjoyed it. It's not the best thing in the world, but I was in a dark place when I was reading it so it made me feel better about my life.

The Humans is a better book by the same author imo

I have almost finished Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin and I don't know how to express the love I have for this series. It is simply amazing. 

I need some recs for horror books. I really like something with fast pace. Accidentally read The Grip of It and it was absolutely horrible :deadbanana2: 

I honestly can't get into any other book unless it's MLM these days. I tried reading The Bell Jar and I can't get past 11% but I read Call The Coroner and I managed to reach the halfway point in under 3 hours :deadbanana4: Probably has to do with my state of mind cuz I've been reading romance a lot and I'm scared that if TBJ hits like the other books did it might put me back in a dark place or something :rip: 

I've been wanting to start a book by Brandon Sanderson for a while..

And I finally managed to get my hands on "The way of Kings":swan:

~150 pages in and I'm positively engaged. I enjoy that his prose is relatively easy to follow. I'm reading an English version of the book (not my native language) and I have an easy time understanding everything.

I'm a bit worried because I already like these characters and I don't want them to suffer a Game of Thrones-esque fate.

Spoiler

Putting my baskets in the fact that "Kaladin" sounds like a main character name! 

finished babel  :jonny3:

Edited by worldwide angel
  • Like 1

i bought the first GOT and the LOT books

lets see where this goes...

Finished Kafka on the Shore. Hmmmmm...

Has anyone read The Name of the Wind? I've been looking to buy some acclaimed fantasy books, and this one is part of a trilogy which makes it easier to commit (as opposed to a mammoth sized series like The Wheel of Time)

5 minutes ago, Alex21kw said:

Finished Kafka on the Shore. Hmmmmm...

Has anyone read The Name of the Wind? I've been looking to buy some acclaimed fantasy books, and this one is part of a trilogy which makes it easier to commit (as opposed to a mammoth sized series like The Wheel of Time)

I didn't read it (yet), but just today I was speaking with a friend who sang it high praises and recommended it to me as a must:giraffe:

9 minutes ago, DanyelP23 said:

I didn't read it (yet), but just today I was speaking with a friend who sang it high praises and recommended it to me as a must:giraffe:

Will go to the bookstore and buy it tomorrow :gaycat5: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.