• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fridayteenage

• fountain

• DanyelP23

• worldwide angel

Repost of my last in the previous thread, books that ruled at least a month in a calendar year for NYT, 21stc:

28 weeks, 20 weeks, 7 weeks - Da Vinci Code, Brown

25 weeks, 7 weeks, 8+ weeks - Where the Crawdads Sing, Owens

28 weeks - Fifty Shades of Grey, James

16 weeks, 10 weeks - Girl on the Train, Hawkins

15 weeks, 6 weeks - The Help, Stockett

13 weeks - Thousand Splendid Suns, Hosseini

9 weeks - It Ends with Us, Hoover

8 weeks - Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, Larsson

Water for Elephants, Gruen

7 weeks - Lost Symbol, Brown

Me Before You, Moyes

6 weeks - Lovely Bones, Sebold

For One More Day, Albom

Inferno, Brown

President is Missing, Patterson/Clinton

5 weeks - Armageddon, LaHaye/Jenkins

King of Torts, Grisham

Broker, Grisham

Appeal, Grisham

Cuckoo's Calling, Rowling

Camino Island, Grisham

Four Winds, Hannah

(4 books: Grisham, 3 books: Brown) 

Just read For One More Day since it was the only one at 6+ I hadn't read. It's okay, cheesy.

So far this year only It Ends with Us and Where the Crawdads Sing got multiple weeks at #1, though both were released last decade. 

Kinda hoping when Taylor Swift's Where the Crawdads Sing releases, it catapults past the other one this year. Honestly, neither is all that good but.

Edited by fridayteenage

Crying in H-Mart is absolutely phenomenal. I wailed like a banshee. I did not know about the author’s music career until I Googled her after!

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is also great. So well-written and easy to read. Her portrayal was so realistic that I found myself IMDB-ing her when she’s a fictional character. I hope they cast Ana de Armas in the lead.

Currently reading: Pachinko

What I’ve read so far this month:

An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. I’ve read two of Ishiguro’s other novels and I’m working my way through each one in publication order now. The first two I read I absolutely loved, but this one didn’t really connect for me. It seems to be one of his more beloved works, but I pretty much felt nothing when reading it to be honest. It was in no way bad, but after my experiences with his others where I was totally engrossed, this was the opposite experience. Maybe if I had read it at another time (or if I reread it) then I might have got more out of it. 

The Employees by Olga Ravn. I expected to love this, and I did. It’s definitely for a certain type of reader and not everybody would enjoy it, but personally I love enigmatic and experimental **** like this. It’s also a very quick read so there is the potential to revisit it and find new things that went unnoticed prior given its concept and format. 

How to Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie. This seems to have received lukewarm reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s no literary masterpiece, but that’s not what it’s trying to be. It’s a fun and sarcastic romp, and I think people may have taken it more seriously than intended. The ending is not the best though, but I was mostly just in it to see what she was going to get up to next with each murder. 

Don’t Laugh, It’ll Only Encourage Her by Daisy May Cooper. She is a British comedy icon and her memoir totally delivers on this point, especially with the audiobook read by her. Great fun. 

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Honestly, I might have enjoyed this more than Evelyn Hugo. The interview format that the story is told in is really unique (it seems to have not worked for some people but I enjoyed it) and it is just as engrossing as Evelyn Hugo is. Coupled with how it explores the music industry (which is in ways more interesting than the acting in Evelyn Hugo), and some deeper topics explored such as addiction, this may be better than her more famous novel. 

Recursion by Blake Crouch. I really enjoy the brand of mind bending sci-fi thriller that Blake Crouch has delivered in both this novel and Dark Matter. If you are into alternate worlds/timelines and their exploration, these are great reads. 

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh. I thought I would enjoy this, and I did… but not as much as I expected to. Overall it is a fun unhinged story, but ultimately I didn’t think the book made any observations or presented anything deeper to back up it’s actual narrative. The ending as well is not very good. It is all more or less for nothing ultimately… it needed much more depth to it. The hype around the book I think has exceeded what it really delivers, but it is still an enjoyable read. 

Finished A River Enchanted by Rebecca Ross and I was surprised by how much I liked it, although I don't really buy the relationship between the two protagonists.

Currently reading Homesick for Another World: Stories.

• 3 weeks later...

There's discussion in the k-pop thread, but Queen Jessica Jung's second book is out today. First book ended with the official debut of Girls Generation...er, Forever. This one is about the events leading to her excommunication. It's juicy.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:54 PM, fountain said:

What I’ve read so far this month:

How to Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie. This seems to have received lukewarm reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s no literary masterpiece, but that’s not what it’s trying to be. It’s a fun and sarcastic romp, and I think people may have taken it more seriously than intended. The ending is not the best though, but I was mostly just in it to see what she was going to get up to next with each murder. 

I actually got done reading this.  it stared off intriguing but it went quickly downhill when Grace committed her second murder!
The author would just go on these mini rants when she was in the middle of plotting a murder like what is going on here :coffee:

The ending annoyed me as well ctfu!

anyways I think it could’ve been a fun read but the author just didn’t execute it will! 

The Maid:

what an absolute charming book!

I thoroughly enjoyed it & quite hilarious as well!

Poor Things:

I only read it because Yorgos Lanthimos is adapting it into a film & well…. I thought it was great?!

I was completely immersed in the story for the first act but then it lost me midway, it picked right up in the final act tho!!

Next up:

The Thursday Murder Club, Battle Royale & My Mess is a Bit of a Life

7 hours ago, Xantalli said:

I actually got done reading this.  it stared off intriguing but it went quickly downhill when Grace committed her second murder!
The author would just go on these mini rants when she was in the middle of plotting a murder like what is going on here :coffee:

The ending annoyed me as well ctfu!

anyways I think it could’ve been a fun read but the author just didn’t execute it will! 

Yeah I’ve read similar thoughts in reviews, it seems to be a consensus, I didn’t really mind it too much personally though, but I was listening and reading along to the audiobook if that makes any difference, it may have been more vexing if only reading and not hearing them. The ending however I definitely agree, it was pretty lacklustre. The “twist” if you can call it that came literally out of nowhere and was mostly just lazy, but I was kinda just viewing the story as a murderous romp, so I wasn’t putting too much expectation in it by that point anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

finally starting how the one armed sister sweeps her house and its amazing so far

its also my first time reading a book via audible and i’m flying through :gaycat4: 

I have a bias and am close to the author IRL

Still I think Interlinked Destiny with a worthwhile read. 

For decades, the Holiday Hellion has viscously plagued the world. A demented serial killer leaving behind crime scenes based on holiday traditions. Each corpse is a sinister work of art. Dazzling displays designed to taunt the senses, while offering a deadly surprise. His dark visions add a new terror to once cherished holidays.

Not an affiliate link 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09M27Q272/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

On 5/11/2022 at 10:48 PM, Xantalli said:

The Maid:

what an absolute charming book!

I thoroughly enjoyed it & quite hilarious as well!

Poor Things:

I only read it because Yorgos Lanthimos is adapting it into a film & well…. I thought it was great?!

I was completely immersed in the story for the first act but then it lost me midway, it picked right up in the final act tho!!

Next up:

The Thursday Murder Club, Battle Royale & My Mess is a Bit of a Life

the maid is occasionally fun.

poor things i liked a lot more when i read it as a kid. was bothered by the lack of originality much more as an adult.

battle royale: that was a classic.

Since Remains is ATRL's world of the day it's time to stan Kazuo Ishiguro's iconic booker prize winning masterpiece The Remains of the Day

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Recent reads:

The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang. Not very good! Too many things made no sense, the characters were unlikeable and I personally think the prose was poor. Also it was NOT adult fantasy, it was YA, so that was very dissapointing. Yes, it was grim, but everything about it was YA. I did ike the setting and some of the fight scenes were well done.

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Amazing! LUV the main character! it was an odd book but SO me. Loved basically everything: the prose, the way the story unfolded, the world building. 

It's Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. Actually didn't plan to read this but my good friend bought a copy and liked it a lot so I borrowed it from her cause why not. It was awful! So basic and full of poorly done clichés, not well written, no good characters. Like, the main character is an Ellen(!) stan, so that should tell you everything you need to know. Also the message of the book is awful.

Starting on Name of the Wind now! Super excited

3 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Amazing! LUV the main character! it was an odd book but SO me. Loved basically everything: the prose, the way the story unfolded, the world building. 

I’m planning on reading this soon :duca: I think I’m gonna love it 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, favorite crime said:

Since Remains is ATRL's world of the day it's time to stan Kazuo Ishiguro's iconic booker prize winning masterpiece The Remains of the Day

I actually just read this last week :clap3: it was really good, I just love Ishiguro’s protagonists they are so unique and endearing :jonny5: 

My recent reads:

The Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer-

For a YA book this is pretty good, sometimes it was a little too obvious though. 

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury-

I can see why it’s a classic, it definitely feels very ahead of it’s time. The writing itself is a little outdated though, but overall great to read. 

Our Wives Under the Sea by Julia Armfield-

Really liked this, very intriguing and metaphorical. 

Heartstopper vol. 1-4 by Alice Oseman-

We all know these are incredibly cute. 

Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson-

Objectively well written but a bit overrated in my opinion. Great themes but lacking in other areas and a quite pretentious overall. 

Earthlings by Sayaka Murata-

Queen tbh! Wild and amazing ride, definitely not for everybody though. 

Bewilderment by Richard Powers-

Really poignant with very timely themes and some interesting and bittersweet sci-fi elements.

Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin-

This had me in a chokehold tbh, so atmospheric and enthralling. Commentary done in a very unique way. 

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro-

Working my way through all his books, not typically into stories surrounded by the world wars but the characters in this one sold it for me more than An Artist of the Floating World so I ended up liking this. Overall my favourites by him are still Klara and the Sun & A Pale View of Hills so far. The Unconsoled next! 

Edited by fountain

7 hours ago, levi_valvi said:

Hello!

Recent reads:

The Poppy War by R. F. Kuang. Not very good! Too many things made no sense, the characters were unlikeable and I personally think the prose was poor. Also it was NOT adult fantasy, it was YA, so that was very dissapointing. Yes, it was grim, but everything about it was YA. I did ike the setting and some of the fight scenes were well done.

It's Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. Actually didn't plan to read this but my good friend bought a copy and liked it a lot so I borrowed it from her cause why not. It was awful! So basic and full of poorly done clichés, not well written, no good characters. Like, the main character is an Ellen(!) stan, so that should tell you everything you need to know. Also the message of the book is awful.

Starting on Name of the Wind now! Super excited

hmm your favorite was the worst one. tryhard poorly written nonsense.

it ends with us is generic but readable.

poppy war is occasionally asian excellence, but mostly a solid enough fantasy with off-and-on originality/creativity.

Best books of each month:

January Fiona and Jane/Jean Chen Ho - story of two asian (off and on) bff's over a few decades, explores queerness from a few angles as well.

February What My Bones Know/Stephanie Foo - memoir about long term ptsd from a lifetime of abuse. 

March Disorientation/Elaine Hsieh Chou - fascinating exploration of the privilege of whiteness and authenticity and appropriation. but also fun.

April True Biz/Sara Novic - interesting perspective with a lot of insight into the Deaf community. one of the leads is queer.

May Her Majesty's Royal Coven/Juno Dawson - sort of a queer response to rowling. witches, a brewing war, with the villain being a TERF.

Edited by fridayteenage

10 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

Her Majesty's Royal Coven/Juno Dawson - sort of a queer response to rowling. witches, a brewing war, with the villain being a TERF.

Oop :lakitu: lemme look this up

i recommend  how the one armed sister sweeps her house  for the girls that are into multi-POV and generational trauma :duca: (tw for basically everything…?) 

• 3 weeks later...

First week of Summer I Turned Pretty smashed the Publishers Weekly's bestseller list: #3, #4, #5/7 (up from #48, #72, #32/46).
59k copies, 50k copies, 91k copies = 200k copies sold. Impact!

(#1 was Where the Crawdads Sing with 72k.)

• 4 weeks later...

lol at the top 10 fantasies on publishers weekly (monthly list)

1 A Court of Thorns and Roses

Sarah J Maas, Author

2 A Court of Mist and Fury

Sarah J Maas, Author

3 The House in the Cerulean Sea

Tj Klune, Author

4 A Court of Wings and Ruin

Sarah J Maas, Author

5 Book of Night

Holly Black, Author

6 Her Majesty's Royal Coven

Juno Dawson, Author

7 House of Earth and Blood

Sarah J Maas, Author

8 House of Sky and Breath

Sarah J Maas, Author

9 A Court of Silver Flames

Sarah J Maas, Author

10 A Court of Frost and Starlight

Sarah J Maas, Author

they're not even that good.

the klune book is queer and cute though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 4:13 AM, fridayteenage said:

lol at the top 10 fantasies on publishers weekly (monthly list)

1 A Court of Thorns and Roses

Sarah J Maas, Author

2 A Court of Mist and Fury

Sarah J Maas, Author

3 The House in the Cerulean Sea

Tj Klune, Author

4 A Court of Wings and Ruin

Sarah J Maas, Author

5 Book of Night

Holly Black, Author

6 Her Majesty's Royal Coven

Juno Dawson, Author

7 House of Earth and Blood

Sarah J Maas, Author

8 House of Sky and Breath

Sarah J Maas, Author

9 A Court of Silver Flames

Sarah J Maas, Author

10 A Court of Frost and Starlight

Sarah J Maas, Author

they're not even that good.

the klune book is queer and cute though.

SJM really has the fantasy girlies in a chokehold.

In other news, I ordered Daughter of smoke and bone partly bc of your recommendation. Currently reading Oathbringer, after that I want to read something lighter so it’s either gonna be that or Book lovers :celestial5:

Kinda went through a reading slump for a month but have six things I read since last posting:

They by Kay Dick

The story behind this book as some sort of lost classic is really interesting. The concept is very intriguing, not everything is clear and like a lot of classics it probably hasn’t aged the best, but it’s another great example of literature that was ahead of it’s time and starkly resembles today.  

Circe by Madeline Miller

A majority of the discourse that I have seen around this book is how people considered it a let down after The Song of Achilles. Personally I think the comparison is silly and does a disservice to them. It was a really great story and stands on its own equally. 

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

Working my way through all of Ishiguro’s works, I was quite looking forward to this one due to how much it stands out from his others, specifically in how it is his longest novel by far, and it’s intriguing and confusing elements. I had no idea what to expect really, and any expectations I did have were subverted. I wouldn’t call it a favourite of his that I’ve read and it’s definitely a big undertaking due to its length and how dense it is, but everything he writes is worth reading. This book is basically like reading a dream in how it simultaneously pulls you in, yet doesn’t make sense, and was certainly a unique reading experience. 

Pet by Akwaeke Emezi

I needed something a little easier afterwards and this fit. Books written for younger audiences are definitely not what I would usually go for, but I had seen good things about this one and I enjoyed the author’s adult book The Death of Vivek Oji. Pet is a nice book for younger people that is super inclusive and idealistic, yet also deals with some tough subjects and offers good lessons for learning. I think adults could enjoy this too but should not expect to be blown away, it more so makes you smile for your younger self; the thought that kids these days get to grow up with books like this available. 

Death in Her Hands by Ottessa Moshfegh

This book really was not about what it says it is about. I thought at least some of the central premise would be explained or would play out somehow, but it doesn’t. If you understand this story more as being about a woman unravelling then it is enjoyable, but as I felt with My Year of Rest and Relaxation, it overall lacked any poignancy or purpose. 

Brood by Jackie Polzin

This book won’t be for everybody but I loved it. It is, more or less, a slice of life book with lot of talk about a woman trying to take care of a group of chickens. It becomes clear later in the book why she cares for these chickens and their purpose in her life, and overall it was a really nicely written and thoughtful story. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.