Horror Movies | 2023 HORROR RATE NOW! (pg. 232)

Outlaws

X > Pearl

Better kills, better gore, more depth in its message, Brittany Murphy, Jenna Ortega, etc.

sG0sS1x.gif

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reverse Warholian

• ChapelHooker

• The Witch

• genetic fail

• ATRL Moderator
27 minutes ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

Better kills, better gore, more depth in its message, Brittany Murphy, Jenna Ortega, etc.

sG0sS1x.gif

What exactly was its message?

I didn't mean that to come across sarcastically, I just genuinely didn't feel as though the film articulated much beyond what was presented on the surface (still adore Brittany and Jenna of course)

41 minutes ago, Ampersand13 said:

What exactly was its message?

I didn't mean that to come across sarcastically, I just genuinely didn't feel as though the film articulated much beyond what was presented on the surface (still adore Brittany and Jenna of course)

It's a commentary on the adult film industry and how it's often not seen as art. It's also a commentary on sexual liberation and women's autonomy over their body. It's also a commentary on ageism and how when old people want sex or have sex, it's seen as gross and unnatural.

Pearl's message, on the other hand, is that she wants to be a star?

3 hours ago, Ampersand13 said:

What's the consensus of Pearl v. X on here? I haven't seen Pearl yet (really want to) but I was a little disappointed by X. There was so much talk of subversion and originality and I didn't think it did anything groundbreaking. To me it was just an above average slasher with strong performances. Enjoyable for sure but a little hallow I suppose? Pearl just seems like it has a much stronger plot so I was curious to hear what y'all think :jamming:

X is a fun slay for the girls and Pearl is ART

sG0sS1x.gif

3 hours ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

sG0sS1x.gif

I'm afraid she's dead ma'am

sG0sS1x.gif

It's been a while since the last rate (Fear2K?) so I'm super excited for the new rates. :heart:

1 hour ago, Bimbo said:

I'm afraid she's dead ma'am

sG0sS1x.gif

Well she slayed from the grave

sG0sS1x.gif

6 hours ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

sG0sS1x.gif

Pearl's credit scene alone >>>> X

sG0sS1x.gif

On 11/18/2022 at 5:44 AM, Reverse Warholian said:

Yes 

sG0sS1x.gif 

But where can we find Pearl, love, you know me, living in the backwoods

10 hours ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

sG0sS1x.gif

sG0sS1x.gif

• ATRL Moderator
9 hours ago, genetic fail said:

It's a commentary on the adult film industry and how it's often not seen as art. It's also a commentary on sexual liberation and women's autonomy over their body. It's also a commentary on ageism and how when old people want sex or have sex, it's seen as gross and unnatural.

I don't think it was a commentary on the adult film industry not being seen as art, especially considering how problematic and misogonistic it is. If it were to make that point it would be very misguided. Even today the vast majority of that industry is built on objectification and mistreatment of sex workers. 

As for women's autonomy over their bodies, that's less of a commentary and more of a vehicle in my opinion. It wasn't adding any nuance to the topic nor was it contextualizing it in a broader conversation. If anything it fell for some major pitfalls of the male gaze :rip: Though it's been a minute since I've seen it, so I'd be curious know if my read on the film changes!

As for the older generation, that was my biggest issue with the film. Because it doesn't do anything to combat the notion that older people shouldn't still be sexual beings. It went out of its way to depict a sex scene without any beauty or care. The film has no issue objectifying its younger cast (and it does quite frequently), however does not extend the same courtesy to its older characters. It had the opportunity to make a strong choice and, in my opinion, completely missed it. If anything it reinforced the problematic notion regarding older people and sex. 

These were the major thoughts I had upon leaving the theater. And I want to reiterate, I did enjoy the film! However, I don't think it was as tactful or original as some give it credit for.

11 hours ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

sG0sS1x.gif

:rip::rip::rip:

7 minutes ago, Delirious said:

X = Pearl

Both overrated mid movies :cm:

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Watched Marrowbone expecting a creepy lil spook and ended up in my feelings um

5du9qGo.thumb.gif.cba86bcb738c3353a47e89

an overlooked gem.

Ms. Goth has a near flawless filmography 

5du9qGo.thumb.gif.cba86bcb738c3353a47e89

On 11/24/2022 at 7:12 AM, Bimbo said:

The

Reveal hidden contents

"because you let me."

:jonny5:

One of the best lines I've heard on a horror film since "Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?" from The Witch :WAP: 

I would let him get it tho 

:jonnycat: 

Why was the 2000's still the best decade for horror?

Everything was so grim, gritty, gory, brutal and serious!

On 11/20/2022 at 2:48 PM, Reverse Warholian said:

2022 update: The Menu feasts its way into the Top 5! :clap3:

1. Barbarian - 9.5/10

2. X - 9/10

3. Pearl - 8.75/10

4. The Innocents - 8.5/10

5. The Menu - 8.25/10

6. NOPE - 8/10

7. Watcher - 8/10

8. Bodies Bodies Bodies - 7.5/10

9. Fresh - 7.5/10

10. Hatching - 7.25/10

^

13 hours ago, SitarHero said:

Now that you mention, I don't think I've seen anyone prefer X to Pearl. Cute next to gorgeous though. Pearl is pretty perfect.

11 hours ago, genetic fail said:

X > Pearl

sG0sS1x.gif

10 hours ago, genetic fail said:

Bewp!

sG0sS1x.gif

Brittany Murphy tho :dies:

2 hours ago, sweetsexysavage said:

But where can we find Pearl, love, you know me, living in the backwoods

D-word sites 

sG0sS1x.gif

7 hours ago, My.December said:

It's been a while since the last rate (Fear2K?) so I'm super excited for the new rates. :heart:

Yeah Fear2k (the most successful rate this base has witnessed! @Khamis) wrapped over a year ago ? Makes sense to shake things up again with a new rate or two given the traffic we've been experiencing lately. The demand is there!! @ChapelHooker

@SitarHero post the Letterboxd list! 

Edited by Reverse Warholian

i hated smile with every piece of my soul :michael: it follows and truth or dare outsold 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.