Anime/Manga

Kisuke

The only animanga that successfully  utilized background canon fodder characters to do something and actually have impact are FMA:Brotherhood and Demon Slayer. All others are "one-man show".

The importance of the female characters of the aforementioned animanga above as just as crucial as their male counterparts. And of course, their authors are women, too. Male Mangakas will always, ALWAYS relegate female characters into some sort of damsel in distress. I think only Hiro Mashima among the famous Mangakas is willing actually give some of their female characters the time of the day even though his writing can be questionable 

:clack:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dylangaga

• illia

• Chiidish

• Lee!!

Top Posters In This Topic

MHA S7!!!! :duca:

GIMME MORE TOGA MOMENTS!!:jonny:

MHA S7 premiering on my birthday!!:jonny:

Star and Stripe's quirk!!!:jonny::jonny::jonny:

KAIJU NO.8!!!!!!:jonny::jonny::jonny:

THE NEW EPISODE WAS SOOOO GOOD!:jonny: 

The episodes keep FLYING by!:jonny:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, FailSafe said:

The only animanga that successfully  utilized background canon fodder characters to do something and actually have impact are FMA:Brotherhood and Demon Slayer. All others are "one-man show".

The importance of the female characters of the aforementioned animanga above as just as crucial as their male counterparts. And of course, their authors are women, too. Male Mangakas will always, ALWAYS relegate female characters into some sort of damsel in distress. I think only Hiro Mashima among the famous Mangakas is willing actually give some of their female characters the time of the day even though his writing can be questionable 

but fma is great, demon slayer is generic and forgettable.

and you seem to be only talking about shonen since several shojo have good storylines for supporting characters (though others are overly focused on the central pair).

Though this speaks to the female author point, both Takahashi major series have nice stuff going for the supporting characters too (Ranma and Inuyasha).

Spy x Family isn't a one man show either. The two main women are actually much more interesting than the main man.

Edited by fridayteenage

Randomly found Solanin by Inio Asano today in my local bookstore.

One of the very few mangas that are translated in my mother tongue so I was really tempted to buy it lol. It's also really short (only 2 volumes) so I'll share my thoughts within the next couple of days.

omg what is this Kaijuu thing :jonny5: I love it!

• Like 1

Lmao I just started Kaiju #8 and what kind of AOT tea is this lmao, finally something intrigue to watch after JJK ended :jonny5:

• ATRL Administrator

Kaiju No. 8 is a banger! Wow. I can't wait for next week!

Kaiju No. 8 is kinda eating rn, albeit borrows bits from Parasite, AOT, Tokyo Ghoul etc.

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 1:38 AM, FailSafe said:

Categorically false. 

for reference CSM, Black Clover, and MHA are absolutely not one-man shows and have women pronounced and/or in positions of plot/combat relevance (impact as you would say it)x 

Edited by Chiidish

I'm think MHA is gonna end with 

Spoiler

Bakugou's death and then start prepping for finishing the series with 1-3 movies 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chiidish said:

Categorically false. 

for reference CSM, Black Clover, and MHA are absolutely not one-man shows and have women pronounced and/or in positions of plot/combat relevance (impact as you would say it)x 

Quote me again if the women in those series have an impact/role as crucial as Tamayo and Shinobu, aka characters  that even arguably surpassed their male counterparts. A supporting and a side character at that.

Edited by FailSafe

On 5/5/2024 at 2:07 AM, fridayteenage said:

but fma is great, demon slayer is generic and forgettable.

and you seem to be only talking about shonen since several shojo have good storylines for supporting characters (though others are overly focused on the central pair).

Though this speaks to the female author point, both Takahashi major series have nice stuff going for the supporting characters too (Ranma and Inuyasha).

Spy x Family isn't a one man show either. The two main women are actually much more interesting than the main man.

Yes I'm only talking about shounen and yes Inuyasha also have badass women (figures, the author is a woman) and has the greatest character in animanga history (male or female)- Lady Kikyo.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Chiidish said:

I'm think MHA is gonna end with 

Reveal hidden contents

Bakugou's death and then start prepping for finishing the series with 1-3 movies 

Do you mean about MHA as a whole, or season 7??

OT: Solanin is kinda eating... I thought it would be a cute slice-of-life romance but then.. the end of volume 1 happened.

A very beautiful story with amazing characters.

Edited by illia

7 hours ago, FailSafe said:

Quote me again if the women in those series have an impact/role as crucial as Tamayo and Shinobu, aka characters  that even arguably surpassed their male counterparts. A supporting and a side character at that.

actually have impact and one-man show are not the same things as "arguably surpassing male counterparts" . And to your point CSM definitely has a female character who eclipses the entirety of the series and cast for me even beyond her demise/rebirth. so still categorically false even under your specific rule. 

and comparing other characters to Godnobu ? Why would I set people up for failure? Demon Slayer ate that one thing. 

2 hours ago, illia said:

Do you mean about MHA as a whole, or season 7??

oh sorry I meant just season 7. 

So production should be either season 7 with multiple movies after 

or season 7 and a season 8 with maybe one movie at best. 

2 hours ago, Chiidish said:

actually have impact and one-man show are not the same things as "arguably surpassing male counterparts" . And to your point CSM definitely has a female character who eclipses the entirety of the series and cast for me even beyond her demise/rebirth. so still categorically false even under your specific rule. 

and comparing other characters to Godnobu ? Why would I set people up for failure? Demon Slayer ate that one thing. 

Maybe I should check out CSM then

But I just know shows like MHA does not have female characters as badass as the ones I've listed. Speaking of MHA, how's Ochaka (whatever her name is)? Was her fight with Flopkugou (that ultimately ended up with her defeat) still the only thing that is remotely notable with her entire character arc? 

1 hour ago, FailSafe said:

Maybe I should check out CSM then

But I just know shows like MHA does not have female characters as badass as the ones I've listed. Speaking of MHA, how's Ochaka (whatever her name is)? Was her fight with Flopkugou (that ultimately ended up with her defeat) still the only thing that is remotely notable with her entire character arc? 

She actually has a really huge moment with substantial buildup that was a memorable and as impactful as Todoroki's (who is a member of the MHA big3 if you need a reference for how much attention she's gotten in the final arc) so I would say yes she actually did her thing. She's no Shinobu but she's definitely not a Hinata Uzamaki anymore. 

STAR AND STRIPE!!!:jonny2::cries:

That was GOOD!!:jonny:

Is MHA gonna reveal the U.A traitor next week?! :duca:

MHA has just started airing. Just need Demon Slayer :coffee:

Kaiju No.8 giving us what we WANT week after week!:jonny:

8 hours ago, Dylangaga said:

STAR AND STRIPE!!!:jonny2::cries:

That was GOOD!!:jonny:

Is MHA gonna reveal the U.A traitor next week?! :duca:

Kind of no misses so far

I even almost cared about Star & Tripes

ready for the traitor 

• ATRL Administrator
8 hours ago, Dylangaga said:

Kaiju No.8 giving us what we WANT week after week!:jonny:

Love the way it's progressing so far!

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 1:38 AM, FailSafe said:

You need expand your animanga horizons. Literally numerous mangas like JJBA that have ensemble cast. Also no, only if you are stuck in the shounen bubble and stick to certain mangaka like Hiro Mashima (despite his first series has mainly used female main characters as ecchi bait). I love Lucy but you can't tell me by the end of the series, she and all of the female characters weren't in rags during every battle with their breast jiggling in the wind. Plus, Hiro got Fire Force creator to create Tamaki Kotatsu, the personification of unnecessary fanservice.

Stone Ocean exists. Araki, Oda, and Anno do female character far far far far better than Hiro. Early FT had way better female characterization that Eden Zero and Late-stage FT. Also you need to read Psyren, an underrated masterpiece.

Edited by Phaunzie
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.