RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Meeting in the Ladies Room

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Chamoy said:

No Chicano is going around screaming about quinceañeras while dressed as a cholo. Stop it. The tumblr/tik tok Latinos who glorify cholo or n*rco aesthetics without really being about that life don't count. :sistrens:

It’s definitely a caricature like most things in drag. But you definitely get what she’s going for. Is it cringe? Sure. Is it appropriation? ..eh I don’t think any cholos, cholas, chunti girls, etc would think that or care. I know I don’t. She’s definitely emulating the hot cheeto, Arizona iced tea girls that any Chicano grew up with. They’re also usually big allies with gays so I wouldn’t be shocked if Salina grew up experiencing that too and thus made it a part of her drag. 

But no Chicano is complaining about cultural appropriation, like this thread is, that’s for sure :skull: Latinx teas (which Salina did say, probably to avoid the sensitive fanbase backlash, but cringe nonetheless). 

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATRL Moderator

Malaysia had the strongest entrance look and a great runway look tbh.  Shame insta followers don’t reflect that.  

5 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Malaysia had the strongest entrance look and a great runway look tbh.  Shame insta followers don’t reflect that.  

the entrance look i think was you either loved or hated it. also, i think her very forgettable talent show didn't help her.

• ATRL Moderator
2 minutes ago, stevenisFADING said:

the entrance look i think was you either loved or hated it. also, i think her very forgettable talent show didn't help her.

I could see that, for me it was easy top 1.  Her runway was great.  Talent show was forgettable,but honestly the worst part (crown almost falling off)) was the pit crew guy's fault not her's so :skull:  

I feel so validated that both Bob and Monét agree that Jax had the best performance in the talent show. I genuinely think what she did was so impressive, like instant win.

Also loved them clocking Luxx's Aquaria cosplay. Gagged her a bit, for sure! :fan:

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

It’s definitely a caricature like most things in drag. But you definitely get what she’s going for. Is it cringe? Sure. Is it appropriation? ..eh I don’t think any cholos, cholas, chunti girls, etc would think that or care. I know I don’t. She’s definitely emulating the hot cheeto, Arizona iced tea girls that any Chicano grew up with. They’re also usually big allies with gays so I wouldn’t be shocked if Salina grew up experiencing that too and thus made it a part of her drag. 

But no Chicano is complaining about cultural appropriation, like this thread is, that’s for sure :skull: Latinx teas (which Salina did say, probably to avoid the sensitive fanbase backlash, but cringe nonetheless). 

Whatever it is, it's lazy. The itty bitty EsTitties committee labeling anyone who is not entertained by this sort of stereotypical representation that's giving dated SNL skit as "sensitive gatekeepers" is actually hilarious. Like, I'm sorry some of us have taste.

Keep normalizing this, tho. <3

5 minutes ago, madonnas said:

I could see that, for me it was easy top 1.  Her runway was great.  Talent show was forgettable,but honestly the worst part (crown almost falling off)) was the pit crew guy's fault not her's so :skull:  

i liked the entrance look a lot. also there really wasn't much competition there. 

the runway was GREAT. classic drag. 

i actually did not notice that. messy. how does the pit crew mess up something so simple?!

looking forward to seeing more of her. 

i'm curious how tonight's episode will turn out and who will shine.

40 minutes ago, Chamoy said:

Whatever it is, it's lazy. The itty bitty EsTitties committee labeling anyone who is not entertained by this sort of stereotypical representation that's giving dated SNL skit as "sensitive gatekeepers" is actually hilarious. Like, I'm sorry some of us have taste.

Keep normalizing this, tho. <3

I just don’t think it’s that deep. :skull: 

Anyone is welcome to feel however they want about it, I just think it’s definitely not cultural appropriation simply cause Salina is Honduran and not Mexican. That feels like a misrepresentation of the situation. 

Anyone is welcome to claim that it’s in bad taste, but comparing it to white girls like Trisha Paytas doing the same thing is very much a different situation, and being intentionally obtuse about the comparison otherwise is just arguing in bad faith.

Not that one video represents everyone’s views or even provides anything more than anecdotal evidence, but if anyone is concerned about Salina’s act being cultural appropriation, just look at how people feel about the Chicano subculture in Japan:

You can argue that Salina’s act is lazy, inappropriate or annoying, and that makes it different than this, but cultural appropriation it is not. I’m wary of calling it that since there are actively discussions about cultural appropriation constantly surrounding this show, and Salina’s act muddying the waters around that discussion is unnecessary and unhelpful to actually dissecting the implications of what it means for Chicanos.

6 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

I heard Bob and Monet are doing The Amazing Race. That's why the tour was canceled. 

Someone posted and quickly deleted that Bob is touring with Madonna :lakitu:

12 minutes ago, publikcitizen said:

I heard Bob and Monet are doing The Amazing Race. That's why the tour was canceled. 

5 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Someone posted and quickly deleted that Bob is touring with Madonna :lakitu:

So which one is it because I know damn well All Winners 2 would never happen that quickly :angry:

13 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

That aint how you talk Ganja

Fraudulent *****

rose-mc-gowan-i-dont-like-her.gif

I’m not in a place to say what’s appropriate/inappropriate in relation to Salina, but I will say that her defending being loud and obnoxious because she’s trying to send a “cultural message” has the same energy of Kendall Gender walking out in horrific padding and wigs and justifying it by saying it’s a love letter to Black women (and I say this as someone who likes Kendall). 

Saying your drag has a deeper message doesn’t make it good. 

27 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

Omg :ahh:

3 hours ago, madonnas said:

Yeah it’s sad she’s getting completely passed over by the fans. But Instagram numbers aren’t everything - Hopefully she’s getting bookings. 

She had the best entrance along with Luxx imo. Hopefully she gets a chance to shine on the show. 

Luxx’s runway was Aquaria-lite but her entrance was beautiful 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

Even though her wig line is too far back that you can see her natural hairline + tape :gaycat6:

Also this is my main issue with the Aja-Leiomy vs Anetra thing:

Leiomy did 3 seasons of a show with Jameela Jamil, Law Roach, Megan/Keke, and a litany of celebrities where outsiders with no drag knowledge were allowed to assess the quality of houses. Beyond that, the very nature of reality tv involves giving outsiders the ability to assess the talents of others. 

I understand that the show gave a platform to a lot of ballroom members, but if there’s this real desire to gatekeep and make sure ballroom remains pure, they wouldn’t have signed on to do a show that gave outsiders both behind the camera and in front the camera power over them. 

Aja herself said that “Legendary” isn’t real ballroom. And if Legendary isn’t meant to be taken seriously, Drag Race certainly isn’t either. 

Yes they should get their coins. Yes they should get exposure. But they should also get real. Everyone knows Aja and Leiomy will co-sign anything if the check is big enough (which is probably why Leiomy has had nothing but positive things to say about Renaissance), so let’s stop pretending like this is all about authenticity. 

2 hours ago, Relampago. said:

I just don’t think it’s that deep. :skull: 

Anyone is welcome to feel however they want about it, I just think it’s definitely not cultural appropriation simply cause Salina is Honduran and not Mexican. That feels like a misrepresentation of the situation. 

Anyone is welcome to claim that it’s in bad taste, but comparing it to white girls like Trisha Paytas doing the same thing is very much a different situation, and being intentionally obtuse about the comparison otherwise is just arguing in bad faith.

I also used Selena Gomez as an example and she's Mexican, so... There's more to it than her not being Chicana or Mexican. Again, my main issue with her drag is that it seems like it's built around old stereotypes about Latinos/Chicanos without any ounce of creativity. 

59 minutes ago, HotFriedChicken said:

The way Valentina was dragged for much less. 

2C1mwYG.png

44 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Luxx’s runway was Aquaria-lite but her entrance was beautiful 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Reveal hidden contents

Even though her wig line is too far back that you can see her natural hairline + tape :gaycat6:

The tape never fails to kill me and y'all still ended up making it a gif :rip:

But I will always give credit to any queen who wears white and there's not an ounce of makeup smeared on it :cm:  so she semi ate here 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.