RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Meeting in the Ladies Room

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

My gawd, people doing the most.

Anetra showed she has STAR quality in her performance, thats why everybody immediately fell for her and thats why her star is rising that much. Add to that her entertaining quality, the fact shes obviously a great dancer without having call herself "the greatest at dancing, singing, fashion" etc, ans her comedic timing, and it's a wrap.

Seither OAH :fan:

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy to see my local bar queen getting all of this LOVE. Super excited to see how far Anetra goes.

28 minutes ago, Haze said:

Yes, it was a decent old way duck walk in If U Seek Amy. It's more the vogue femme style thas has definitely been bordering on mockery (although I think Blu was sincere, which makes it worse somehow lol)

I think there's a valid complaint to be made, but from my own experience, it was drag race that, however problematically, introduced me to the wonders of ballroom culture. Though maybe it's time drag race repays the favor and invites some ballroom legends to judge sometimes, as a start.

This took me out :deadbanana4: An Ellie Diamond tea. 

I agree, but I think egos on both sides (drag race and the ballroom legends) would never allow it. 

Either way, it’s not fair to place all this discussion on Anetra’s shoulders. For 99.99% of viewers her performance was jaw-dropping with or without the duck walk. It’s probably my favourite talent show ever at this point.

I think a lot of the animosity from some parties is because it was so celebrated. 

Edited by Both Sides Now

12 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

I agree, but I think egos on both sides (drag race and the ballroom legends) would never allow it. 

Either way, it’s not fair to place all this discussion on Anetra’s shoulders. For 99.99% of viewers her performance was jaw-dropping with or without the duck walk. It’s probably my favourite talent show ever at this point.

I think a lot of the animosity from some parties is because it was so celebrated. 

Aka jealousy and envy, we been knew

3 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

Aja is definitely speaking out of envy.

She also came for Drag Sethlas from España S2 for jumping from a box in her talent show. There’s nothing ballroom about that - just plain jealousy that people were impressed with something she had also done :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, Both Sides Now said:

There’s also a history on the show of duck walks that are definitely seen as mockery. Willow, Ginger, Blu all have basically make a joke out of it. If it’s something she holds sacred to her community I can understand her frustration. 

I don’t think Anetra or Denali were mocking duck walks, they just weren’t technically perfect. Actually, I think Denali’s in If You Seek Amy was quite technically good (from my limited knowledge). 

It’s a tricky topic. 

I 100% agree.

Aja is just pressed, she has always been a jealous person, we know that.

• ATRL Moderator
24 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

It’s probably my favourite talent show ever at this point.

i might be of the same opinion? the wood chopping replays in my head constantly

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

1. Anetra

2. Tatianna

3. Monet

The Trinity of US Talent Shows 

spacer.png

:clap3:

32 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Its more of this is some people’s introduction to duck walking. And everyone here praised the duck walking even though, technically the duck walking itself was not good. But when that part of Anetra’s performance was called out, everyone was quick to call the people who are in the scene jealous. That’s where the appropriation comes in. If you are going to do something that isnt part of your scene, you should be willing to accept criticism from that same group. Defending Anetra because we liked her performance/like her as a queen and quickly judging where the group is coming from is also inappropriate.

27 minutes ago, Moloko Plus said:

Aja is wretched and can stay seething

26 minutes ago, *-ChriZ-* said:

14 minutes ago, satellites.™ said:

I 100% agree.

Aja is just pressed, she has always been a jealous person, we know that.

Also this thought process needs to stop that it is just Aja. Anetra has been called out by multiple people in the ballroom culture including Leiomy. The concentration or Aja is wrong because: (1) she was apart of ballroom culture before and after drag race, so she has more say about it then any of us (unless you have specific ballroom culture experience, then speak up; (2) its easier to say Aja is jealous then to actually address the fact that multiple ballroom culture has spoken out about the performance, and about Rupaul and Todrick have been misrepresenting ballroom dances on their platforms. It also ignores the fact that it has been asked that dragrace queens stop doing ballroom culture on dragrace unless they are part of the scene. And it goes unnoticed again.

Personally, idc, and i think Anetra was just performing. Vogueing is just a dance that everyone should be able to learn and appreciate in my opinion, and i dont understand why we are trying to gatekeep it (and i dont think you can really gatekeep it since one of the judges, Michelle, was part of the ballroom scene), but I also understand that i dont have a right to saying anything because that is not my scene, i dont participate in it or contribute to it. And im not going to call people jealous for calling out Anetra’s duck walk she did to a song with Lyrics “walk the duck,” when the duck walk itself was not that great (although the performance was still amazing.)

Like i said earlier, you can have a great performance and still be technically bad, and it doesnt make someone jealous if they call you out for it.

Anetra has to be gaining followers like crazy bc she’s tagged in that super viral reel on Instagram right?

and I love Aja but imo she’s not impressive enough in ballroom to be gate keeping like this if her stint on Legendary is anything to go by :rip:

• ATRL Moderator
10 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

1. Anetra

2. Tatianna

3. Monet

The Trinity of US Talent Shows 

spacer.png

swap monet and tati but yes

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Rigalo said:

Anetra has to be gaining followers like crazy bc she’s tagged in that super viral reel on Instagram right?

She’s gained almost 150k since the cast reveal and like 120k since the premiere. From 3rd least followed of the whole cast to 3rd most followed only behind the industry plant twins, even surpassing Sasha Colby who started the season 50k ahead of her 

6 Letters and 3 Vowels just like true Legends RuPaul and Symone. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, GlamourCadaver said:

4. Ra'Jah O'Hara

5. Kornbread

6. Willow Pill

7. Jax

8. Kennedy Davenport

Kinda strapped to think of 9 & 10

spacer.png 

Maybe Gia, Aja or Shea (AS7). 

I'm not part of ballroom or a POC, I don't dance anymore and I never learned to duckwalk anyway but assuming I did dance still, could do it and was a drag queen I wouldn't do it on the show unless i was like expected to by the producers. It's not because I don't think white people can do it or even people who aren't part of the scene. It's more that a lot of fans of the show don't know where these dance moves come from. I think it should be queens from that scene introducing this stuff, or at least queens of colour. 

I love Willow but I winced a bit at the mock duck walk. At least with Ginger it sort of worked I guess but idk. I don't think it's gatekeeping to say the show should really be focusing more on ballroom and educating people on it before we see a bunch of white queens calling a dip a "death drop". 

However idk, i liked Anetra's performance lol. 

The amount of mexican flags and mexican pride under this tweet :rip: she's got them all fooled :rip:

3 minutes ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

I'm not part of ballroom or a POC, I don't dance anymore and I never learned to duckwalk anyway but assuming I did dance still, could do it and was a drag queen I wouldn't do it on the show unless i was like expected to by the producers. It's not because I don't think white people can do it or even people who aren't part of the scene. It's more that a lot of fans of the show don't know where these dance moves come from. I think it should be queens from that scene introducing this stuff, or at least queens of colour. 

I love Willow but I winced a bit at the mock duck walk. At least with Ginger it sort of worked I guess but idk. I don't think it's gatekeeping to say the show should really be focusing more on ballroom and educating people on it before we see a bunch of white queens calling a dip a "death drop". 

However idk, i liked Anetra's performance lol. 

Along with this i think when Tamisha took the girls to the ballroom in S13 and was educating the girls on ballroom culture, i think that was appropriate because she is from the ATL ballroom scene. And then doing it in that context is fine. 

But also, alot of people dont know what is ballroom culture because the fans were using Vivacious as a justification for why it was good, when she is from club kid and not ballrom culture. 🙄🙄

Ballroom culture IS scared, the very reason it was CREATED was because RACIST WHITE QUEENS were being unfair in pagaents.

Need I remind you....

That said, I think its important to note, im not blaming Anetra, she did nothing wrong and IS APART OF the culture.

So the arguments against her make no sense, she would not have lost at an actual ball, she wouldve placed for sure.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Bimbo said:

The amount of mexican flags and mexican pride under this tweet :rip: she's got them all fooled :rip:

Idk… wasn’t she born / raised in LA? I don’t see the big deal?  Forgive me if I’m being ignorant.  Her style is just giving Los Angeles to me.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.