RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | The National Drag Convention Roast

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

Why is everyone on Anetra’s ass rn? :deadbanana2: My girl stomped the first episode and everyone’s mad about it. I barely even see the similarities.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Why is everyone on Anetra’s ass rn? :deadbanana2: My girl stomped the first episode and everyone’s mad about it. I barely even see the similarities.

Because Bcalla is best friends with Aja,

1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

This is a reach. 
I’m totally for designers and artists being rightfully credited for their work, but there is enough of a reinterpreting here. 

And it’s fashion… there are but so many fabrics, styles and designs, everything has an inspiration, if anyone tried hard enough, I’m sure they could find one for that designers reference as well. 

Frankly, I’m sick of the runway being turned into a homogenous showcasing of the same 4 designers. Anetra made this herself, which is infinitely more impressive.

8 hours ago, CroNich said:

What was the critique for Anetra? 

Also I can only speak for my local ballroom scene but they can be very toxic. I understand all the history and dynamics that have led to this but they definitely aren't the nicest, friendliest, accepting group of people I know. 

Omg is this general? 
My local ballroom scene is also like this. Always in the corner of the club wearing whack outfits with a stank face on.

14 hours ago, TheOnlyOne said:

:skull: Y’all gonna really pretend you didn’t know Symone, Mik, Gigi, Angeria, Willow, etc were finalists from their premieres?  Be for real

The only thing given away on these are how Ru was so biased about their lip syncs. Mik's was so bad they had to rig the song to be her supposedly "wheelhouse". And Symone is not even in anyway exciting considering she lipsynced like 7 times and barely shows any versatilities. S13 finale was so bad that the show now skews so heavily to cast *performers* now.

• ATRL Moderator

symone won every lipsync she was a part of. how is it biased judging if she didn't :mrpeanut:show versatility:mrpeanut: yet still outperformed the other queen every single time?

10 minutes ago, Unoriginal said:

symone won every lipsync she was a part of. how is it biased judging if she didn't :mrpeanut:show versatility:mrpeanut: yet still outperformed the other queen every single time?

And that's the thing. She won, but we barely remember anything from her string of winnings. And Kandy did outperform her in that finale lip sync.

• ATRL Moderator

Now WHY would Miss Closet set herself up like this? :toofunny2: :toofunny2: :toofunny2: :toofunny2:

12 hours ago, khalyan said:

I don’t understand why Twitter is up in arms about this criticism of Marcia’s makeup.  You can’t be a drag queen on the biggest platform in the world with just mascara and lip tint :rip: 

2 hours ago, Unoriginal said:

The way you 2 already knew the answer to both these questions before you even had to ask :deadbanana: You both know exactly why 

White queen gets a minor (valid) criticism = the fandom up in arms, calls for people to not be so mean to the innocent white girl

Black queen succeeds in anything = the fandom up in arms, minimizes their accomplishments, calls it biased/riggory

Its the same thing every single season

So many Tabbi Kats in this thread get to run free or get asked innocent questions as the only pushback meanwhile Mother TOO always gets the electric chair on sight :rip: And me lowkey having to reword this 3x out of fear Ill get the chop again for even saying it :skull:

Marcia and the twins are gonna be treated like precious cinnamon buns by the fandom and I'm already over it. 

Can someone tell me how Symone’s BO$$, Gimme More, and I Learned From The Best lipsyncs don’t show versatility? Symone isn’t all flips and tricks but those 3 lipsyncs show 3 different styles and evoke 3 different energies.  

She lipsynced 7 times. She won all of them for a reason. 

It’s reminding me of how people kept saying she played the same character all season, as if Harriet Tubman, Is Your Blood Sugar Low? and Flag Fectry had any similarities in their punchlines or comedic points beyond just being voiced by Symone. 

Symone and old lady Tamisha doing Janet was a bit of a light slay too.

I still maintain Tamisha won that first lip sync, but Symone did win the others. Still, not saying much because all of those were pretty dire. I don't really remember a single one from that season except those from Denali tbh.

• ATRL Moderator
39 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Can someone tell me how Symone’s BO$$, Gimme More, and I Learned From The Best lipsyncs don’t show versatility? Symone isn’t all flips and tricks but those 3 lipsyncs show 3 different styles and evoke 3 different energies.  

It’s reminding me of how people kept saying she played the same character all season, as if Harriet Tubman, Is Your Blood Sugar Low? and Flag Fectry had any similarities in their punchlines or comedic points beyond just being voiced by Symone. 

spill

31 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

Because she's black and unapologetically so, so all her actions and accomplishments must be scrutinized to the highest level, duh.

And because she's not a token fan favorite by the whites as a cover to prove they're not racist like Jaida. That's why you can't call Jaida dumb (despite her calling herself dumb multiple times on her podcast, something only her actual fans who follow her and not pretenders would know) but you can criticize every move Symone makes and boil down every thing she does as "playing the same character" because most people on this forum see no nuance when it comes to black queens. To them, Deborah, Flag Factry, Is Your Blood Sugar Low, and Harriet Tubman are all the same because all they see is a dark black queen doing it. That's why those same knuckle dragging biased folks can claim there was no versatility in THEE Symone being a literal sex symbol in Gimme More and serving emotional goddess in I Learned From the Best and pure camp in Pleasure Principle. J*nkx can do the same affected voice and play a tired milf with an affinity for barely legal twinks in everything she does and be hailed as some acting/improv genius but for Symone she's just doing the same thing over and over again and is immediately discredited. 

80764815_ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).thumb.gi

30 minutes ago, Haze said:

I still maintain Tamisha won that first lip sync, but Symone did win the others. Still, not saying much because all of those were pretty dire. I don't really remember a single one from that season except those from Denali tbh.

Imagine discounting the actual best lipsync of the season and only giving credit to noguer Denali

6dae3b071897172d0659734b09a19623eb86035d

Anetra should print Aja's annoying tweets and put them on boards and break them on IG with a new number

#Marketing :eli: 

4 hours ago, TheOnlyOne said:

Imagine discounting the actual best lipsync of the season and only giving credit to noguer Denali

6dae3b071897172d0659734b09a19623eb86035d

I did forget about that one, that was good.

Also, the nogueing comment is rich coming from you, as it is exactly what Leiomy is accusing Anetra of. It is only a valid critique when it serves you? Don't get me wrong, Denali's duck walk was definitely nogueing, yet the lip sync as a whole was good and entertaining. 

14 hours ago, Femalien said:

i think Aja legit participated in ballroom scene before she even started drag. the past 3 years was her returning to it after joining the haus of labeija. 

I still think she's bitter however and the supposedly more "authentic" duckwalk she showcased on her instagram looked like **** and not one iota better than Anetra's. 

It comes down to performance vs technicality. I.e Jlo and Ciara are better technical dancers than Britney and Beyonce, But i would rather see Britney and Beyonce perform over Jlo and Ciara. I would rather see Anetra perform her duckwalk, but when you actually dive into it and watch just the duckwalk, Anetra was not very good. Now the performance itself is all amazing, and i feel, like Denali’s during S13, it is passable and does not take away from performance. 

15 hours ago, Morissette said:

Anetra's meteoric rise is really something. No one expected that from her, she was flying under the radar. She's proof that showing up and just being yourself will get you further than being a try-hard. 

This will become a real competition once Amethyst, Robin, Aura and Poppy are GONE. 

Yall need to stop judging queens on the first episode and let things actually flow. The girls could be actual competition, but you dont know how they will do in comedy, rusicals, acting, etc. 🙄 Plus i know my girl aura got girl groups and rusical in the bag. 

36 minutes ago, Haze said:

I did forget about that one, that was good.

Also, the nogueing comment is rich coming from you, as it is exactly what Leiomy is accusing Anetra of. It is only a valid critique when it serves you? Don't get me wrong, Denali's duck walk was definitely nogueing, yet the lip sync as a whole was good and entertaining. 

I never said it wasn't entertaining just pointed out that you forgot LaLa's amazing lipsync and say only Denali was memorable.

Why is that rich coming from me exactly? I, like Leiomy, haven't said a word about Anetra's ball skills. Which even if they aren't as technical as someone in the Ball community, they are hands down the best duck walk we've seen on the show period, even eclipsing Nina Bonina Brown - as she said herself. Denali has been hailed for her "duckwalk" for the past 2 years despite it never being good. Denali doesn't even do a bastardize duck walk, she just hops on her feet with her legs bent. That's not a duckwalk nor are the two aren't even close to comparable.  She's only slightly better than the atrocity of Blu Hydrangea and Willow Pill. 

0fd9ecc5f25b9e01aa888721156be4a146877609

>>>>

denali-rupauls-drag-race.gif > willow-pill-pants-reveal-duck-walking-vogue-gimme-gimme-gimme-cher-final-lipsync-drag-race-season-14-episode-15-finale-recap-review.gif

Leoimy did straight up call Anetra’s duck walk noguing, a mockery and appropriation. 

It’s a bit of a stretch to think this is about Amethyst or someone else from episode 1/2. Especially after Aja directly @‘ed Anetra. 

Edited by Both Sides Now

6 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

I never said it wasn't entertaining just pointed out that you forgot LaLa's amazing lipsync and say only Denali was memorable.

Why is that rich coming from me exactly? I, like Leiomy, haven't said a word about Anetra's ball skills. Which even if they aren't as technical as someone in the Ball community, they are hands down the best duck walk we've seen on the show period, even eclipsing Nina Bonina Brown - as she said herself. Denali has been hailed for her "duckwalk" for the past 2 years despite it never being good. Denali doesn't even do a bastardize duck walk, she just hops on her feet with her legs bent. That's not a duckwalk nor are the two aren't even close to comparable.  She's only slightly better than the atrocity of Blu Hydrangea and Willow Pill. 

0fd9ecc5f25b9e01aa888721156be4a146877609

>>>>

denali-rupauls-drag-race.gif > willow-pill-pants-reveal-duck-walking-vogue-gimme-gimme-gimme-cher-final-lipsync-drag-race-season-14-episode-15-finale-recap-review.gif

You're initial comment definitely implied that it was somehow bizarre that I thought Denali's lip syncs were memorable, and it seemed like a judgement on the presence of nogueing on the show. Which is why your stanning of Anetra would seem hypocritical. But all is good if I misunderstood. And my memory of S13 is hazy because of how unsufferable most of it was. 

And I agree with the rest of your post and I thought Anetra's number was great, that wasn't the point I tried to make.

Leoimy is pressed af, but she has a reason too I guess. She is an ICON and I know ballroom means the world to her and seeing other ppl get opportunities has to hurt, but that's not Ru or Anetras fault.

Just now, satellites.™ said:

Leoimy is pressed af, but she has a reason too I guess. She is an ICON and I know ballroom means the world to her and seeing other ppl get opportunities has to hurt, but that's not Ru or Anetras fault.

There’s also a history on the show of duck walks that are definitely seen as mockery. Willow, Ginger, Blu all have basically make a joke out of it. If it’s something she holds sacred to her community I can understand her frustration. 

I don’t think Anetra or Denali were mocking duck walks, they just weren’t technically perfect. Actually, I think Denali’s in If You Seek Amy was quite technically good (from my limited knowledge). 

It’s a tricky topic. 

6 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

There’s also a history on the show of duck walks that are definitely seen as mockery. Willow, Ginger, Blu all have basically make a joke out of it. If it’s something she holds sacred to her community I can understand her frustration. 

I don’t think Anetra or Denali were mocking duck walks, they just weren’t technically perfect. Actually, I think Denali’s in If You Seek Amy was quite technically good (from my limited knowledge). 

It’s a tricky topic. 

Yes, it was a decent old way duck walk in If U Seek Amy. It's more the vogue femme style thas has definitely been bordering on mockery (although I think Blu was sincere, which makes it worse somehow lol)

I think there's a valid complaint to be made, but from my own experience, it was drag race that, however problematically, introduced me to the wonders of ballroom culture. Though maybe it's time drag race repays the favor and invites some ballroom legends to judge sometimes, as a start.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.