RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Make Your Own Kind of Rusic (f/ legendary lipsync)

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Edge Of Glory said:

this is so wild to say when she placed high the same number of weeks as shea, has decent arguments for how she could've won THREE more challenges (roast, makeover, and ball), and her only low placement was pretty much a de facto placement with the judges clarifying she did nowhere near as bad as the bottom two, IN ADDITION to absolutely demolishing the finale. obviously 99% of people wanted shea to win since she had the best track record and most compelling winner narrative, but saying sasha was a bad winner choice will never sit right with me lmfao :rip:

Sasha didn't stand a chance to win the ball with this f*cking look :priceless:

spacer.png

She's a bit funny in Roast and Snatch Game I give her that, but she was completely outshined by other contestants. I do agree she win that lipsync fair and square while also warmed up to her drag persona post-finale, but you can't deny she wasn't really the most probable candidate for the crown.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hephaestus said:

Some of those wins are questionable to be honest, but if production needs to choose a lip sync song that caters to their winner’s lip syncing style or needs to add a “considering the whole season’s performance” before a winner is announced, what’s the point of a final lip sync anyway? They might as well go back to S4-S8 type of finales because it’s basically what they’re doing at the end of the day (with a couple exceptions, like Sasha Velour and Jinkx), but with less bullsh*t.

This, as simple as it is. 

Or do we really wanna believe that if a queen bottoms 10 consecutive times, bombing episode after episode, BUT saves herself each time doing gravity defining moves and ultimately wins the LSFTC is what we're looking for in a winner? That would be a properly judged season?

29 minutes ago, Rigalo said:

Us talking about how Monet should have won AS7 again :clap3:

girl-sure-jan.gif

we were talking about her just being there because many believe she soudn't win as 4 with worst track records than Manila and Mo Heart

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, TrueBlood said:

Or do we really wanna believe that if a queen bottoms 10 consecutive times, bombing episode after episode, BUT saves herself each time doing gravity defining moves and ultimately wins the LSFTC is what we're looking for in a winner? That would be a properly judged season?

People always use this argument but it’s not realistic :rip: No one is capable of giving a different, entertaining lipsync every week but if they blow our minds for every lipsync, including LSFTC, then yes I actually would love to see them win over someone who just wins 3 comedy challenges and mediocre at everything else.

But yes, I’d rather see someone like Symone who showcased a fuller body of work, including being a good lipsyncer by lipsyncing 7 times, than someone like Rosé who did well at challenges but SUCKS at being an actual drag queen!

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, PMM said:

girl-sure-jan.gif

we were talking about her just being there because many believe she soudn't win as 4 with worst track records than Manila and Mo Heart

Well Manila wasn’t even in contention to win lol

monet is one of the most successful winners from the show and represents it well, not sure why ppl still barking about her double crowning that was literally like 10 US seasons ago :michael:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Rigalo said:

Well Manila wasn’t even in contention to win lol

monet is one of the most successful winners from the show and represents it well, not sure why ppl still barking about her double crowning that was literally like 10 US seasons ago :michael:

People still bark at the double crowning 'cause there's people still barking at her beating Jinkx as if that was an hate crime. I'm quite confident Monét herself couldn't care less considering how her life/career has been pretty much unaffected (in a negative way) by the "robbing" on AW.

6 minutes ago, Relampago. said:

People always use this argument but it’s not realistic :rip: No one is capable of giving a different, entertaining lipsync every week but if they blow our minds for every lipsync, including LSFTC, then yes I actually would love to see them win over someone who just wins 3 comedy challenges and mediocre at everything else.

But yes, I’d rather see someone like Symone who showcased a fuller body of work, including being a good lipsyncer by lipsyncing 7 times, than someone like Rosé who did well at challenges but SUCKS at being an actual drag queen!

Duh? I don't get the Symone/Rosé comparison, it's quite obvious in that case. We already had a queen winning a season with 0 maxi challenge wins and the fandom is lucky enough that it didn't happen on a bigger platform 'cause that is already quite the joke to those who follow every single franchise.

We can discuss about this topic endlessly, it's just a matter of personal preferences and opinions. Monét beating Jinkx is far from being the biggest robbery in herstory and Drag Race rules/parameters have never been the same, especially on All Stars editions where you can easily tell how in each and every season the winner was pretty much the same production would have hoped/made possible from the beginning.

• Thumbs Down 1

Reminder that Mo Heart was done dirty on all THREE of her seasons 

Placing safe constantly on S10 despite outshining many of the bland cast

Being put in the bottom unfairly twice on AS4 and her and Naomi being the only contestants ever to receive negative critiques in a finale (when the judges usually gas everyone up) to justify her not being Top 2 of the season and rightfully winning the crown

Being being overlooked AGAIN in UKvTWorst despite being consistent in challenges elevating runways and then “losing” the LSFTC to Blu f***ing Hydrangea

THEE most robbed contestant across all franchises of Drag Race

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Edge Of Glory said:

this is so wild to say when she placed high the same number of weeks as shea, has decent arguments for how she could've won THREE more challenges (roast, makeover, and ball), and her only low placement was pretty much a de facto placement with the judges clarifying she did nowhere near as bad as the bottom two, IN ADDITION to absolutely demolishing the finale. obviously 99% of people wanted shea to win since she had the best track record and most compelling winner narrative, but saying sasha was a bad winner choice will never sit right with me lmfao :rip:

Her winning over peppermint in the roast be real w me right now

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Why said:

Being put in the bottom unfairly twice on AS4 and her and Naomi being the only contestants ever to receive negative critiques in a finale (when the judges usually gas everyone up) to justify her not being Top 2 of the season and rightfully winning the crown

Being being overlooked AGAIN in UKvTWorst despite being consistent in challenges elevating runways and then “losing” the LSFTC to Blu f***ing Hydrangea

!!!!

AS4 was truly her season, and the fact they let her down AGAIN in UK was truly sad

1 hour ago, Why said:

PERIOD! She should’ve won AS4 and I will die on this hill! :clap3:

Also, let it be know that she ate everyone up in that Super Queen remix, the fact she wasn’t even top 2 is absurd to me.

• Like 2

Remember when the returning girls stomped so hard rupaul had to lie through his teeth? ik someone in the production was fired on the spot :fan:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

the sudden Chad meme in Twitter is such a kii:ahh:

Happy Hunger Game b*tches ! Bring back this grandma to All Winners season 2 !

Edited by Heirloom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Haha 5

idk why i cant read katniss without thinking of katpiss

ot raja's s3 run is kind of the best winner's run the show has ever had honestly

Chad Michaels should’ve won S4, let’s have that conversation 

15 minutes ago, Jaded. said:

Chad Michaels should’ve won S4, let’s have that conversation 

Why do you think AS1 happened? Lol. I think that they knew that crowning Sharon was a mistake even back then. 

20 minutes ago, loveisdead9582 said:

Why do you think AS1 happened? Lol. I think that they knew that crowning Sharon was a mistake even back then. 

It wasn't a mistake. She won rightfully. And Chad won all stars. All good. 

On 8/22/2023 at 7:26 PM, CBC said:

Remember when the returning girls stomped so hard rupaul had to lie through his teeth? ik someone in the production was fired on the spot :fan:

this is another weird take i've been seeing pop up a lot on drag race twitter/youtube jdsfjfk like, "sitting on a secret" is obvs the funnier song, but the eliminated girls totally flubbed the actual image and branding part of the girl group idea. first you have 4/5 of them wearing pink, with chi chi randomly being the odd one out in full silver :deadbanana2: on top of that, you have her and milk with a total mess on how their aesthetics/names/lyrics are supposed to fit - chi chi is cajun kitty, but her look is a futuristic catsuit and her lyrics aren't southern themed either. then milk is "milky kitty", which ig is supposed to fit HER aesthetic, but then her look isnt rlly the strange milk aesthetic that we know from s6 so like...

the top 5 girls did the spice girls' whole "distinct but united" thing so much more solidly, even if the weaker ones in the team were still easily identifiable. no riggory here i fear!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Edge Of Glory said:

this is another weird take i've been seeing pop up a lot on drag race twitter/youtube jdsfjfk like, "sitting on a secret" is obvs the funnier song, but the eliminated girls totally flubbed the actual image and branding part of the girl group idea. first you have 4/5 of them wearing pink, with chi chi randomly being the odd one out in full silver :deadbanana2: on top of that, you have her and milk with a total mess on how their aesthetics/names/lyrics are supposed to fit - chi chi is cajun kitty, but her look is a futuristic catsuit and her lyrics aren't southern themed either. then milk is "milky kitty", which ig is supposed to fit HER aesthetic, but then her look isnt rlly the strange milk aesthetic that we know from s6 so like...

the top 5 girls did the spice girls' whole "distinct but united" thing so much more solidly, even if the weaker ones in the team were still easily identifiable. no riggory here i fear!

Ouuu this tea. I always thought the top 5 girls did way better and honestly had a better song, but everyone made it out to seem like it was riggory for the eliminated girls to lose. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 11:17 PM, Why said:

I'm a die hard Mo stan and I've been since season 10 (I was one of the few who was 100% sure she was gonna make top 4 in AS4) but let's be honest, she fumbled UKVSTW real bad. AS4 Mo would have EASILY demolished UKVSTW, I don't know what happened. She was messy and not in synch with her backing track  in the talent show, had 1 good look out of 3 in the ball, she was awkward in the Rusical, then she was decent for the SG and she FINALLY did somewhat good during episode 5. What shocks me the most was how WEIRD her lip syncs were, she just stood in one spot and NEVER MOVED from there in all 3 of her lip syncs :deadbanana2: 

Edited by D.Va
  • Like 3

On 8/22/2023 at 4:03 AM, TrueBlood said:

This post got me thinking, and there’s a few things I want to say.

First, we‘re just saying we like having a final lip sync between the finalists. Nobody suggested changing how lip syncs are judged. With the way they’re judged, the scenario you described is basically impossible, and that’s why it’s never happened.

Lip syncs naturally have diminishing returns, meaning it gets harder and harder to impress any audience the more numbers you do. Coco and Trinity were considered the best of all time for getting through 3 of them without repeating themselves. And the show has always punished queens for repeating tricks, like Detox. Nobody can get through 10 lip syncs without losing at some point, if only because they’ve already done everything they know how to do and the judges are particularly tired of seeing them.

Also, mistakes happen in lip syncs all the time, and eventually your luck will run out. If Alyssa Hunter can accidentally break her money gun, and if Trinity K Bonet can lose her wig, and if Silky can mess up a simple fat suit reveal, then it can happen to anyone. You would have to be extremely lucky to get through 10 lip syncs without any wardrobe malfunctions, forgotten words or slips and trips.

But second and more importantly, if someone did the impossible and won 10 lip syncs in a row, why is that not winner material? I think your comment is an example of how lip syncing is undervalued on Drag Race. I think since the format traditionally only had queens lip sync when they were in the bottom, many people now see lip syncing on the show as an unimportant skill, or just a punishment and nothing more. But I think lip syncing should be up there with comedy and fashion.

If Jinkx can win All Stars 7 just for being the funniest, and if Violet can win season 7 just for being the best designer, why can’t someone else win just for being the best lip syncer?

In a way, Sasha won season 15 for being the best lip syncer, because that’s really what her career is built on. Sasha’s real specialty is choreographing and performing large, emotional performances, and her winning Continental talent number is legendary. I wish the format were changed to better showcase the real talents of queens like Sasha.

Edited by Solaris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Fancyhoodlum said:

It wasn't a mistake. She won rightfully. And Chad won all stars. All good. 

You know what, I’m sick of hearing this. Sharon should have been disqualified for her racist behavior backstage. This statement would be true on any season, but it is doubly true on season 4, where Willam was disqualified for  behavior that was harmless compared to what Sharon did. Sharon was not a legitimate contestant and I don’t care about anything else.

I once looked into Sharon’s old content and performances, and to describe it all as extremely offensive would be an understatement. Sharon was literally the drag version of conservative shock jocks like Rush Limbaugh. There’s something really wrong with Sharon and it’s wildly ironic, and perhaps dystopian, that Sharon was platformed as being a hero by RuPaul’s black self.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.