RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Make Your Own Kind of Rusic (f/ legendary lipsync)

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, satellites.™ said:

This is NOT true and its the MAIN reason that the whole argument SHOULD be gate kept.

I grew up with girls like Salina WHO TALK JUST LIKE THAT so wtf is this take?

She has “broken” the character several times on the show when she is being authentic or caught in a vulnerable position. I’m not even questioning the legitimacy of her chola persona - but that is not code-switching. It’s dropping the character for a moment. 

Was Langanja code-switching when she dropped her Kiki voice? Like c’mon be serious. It’s clearly affected. 

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven’t been this obsessed with a queen in a very long time :deadbanana: 

The thing is - Salina's drag persona is a caricature. We've seen how she really talks without the accent. Now, debating whether Salina is really a PoC or not is kind of wild. None of us know her ancestry. But facts are facts, Salina's accent is fake. 

I mean a lot of drag queens act/talk more exaggerated when they’re in their drag persona, be it different voices (Ben De La), accents (Katya’s Russian accent despite being IRISH ) even the extra tongue pops and whatnot that usually aren’t as present in their “normal” speaking voices.

idk what’s the big deal when Salina does it, if she was putting on an Asian or blaccent (or Irish Katya doing a Russian charicature) I could see the uproar but um isn’t she a Latina that grew up with Latina culture ajsksk 

2 hours ago, KaledKalil said:

Not people defending Salina's fake accent. Even her "ok white girl" was in her natural voice, and not her fake persona. :toofunny2:

ellen-shade.gif

Salina gives the vibe she thinks being latino means that you're a poc. :deadbanana4: And I'm saying this as a latino guy. 

2 hours ago, HotFriedChicken said:

This is the dumbest take I have seen. Just say you're ignorant and save yourself some typing

@HotFriedChicken can you read? Or you just like to ignore contexts all together?

2 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Valentina was called out for what? Not texting back and having mental stans? She still was true to herself, having a “latina queen” schtick with the actual heritage to back it up. She can walk the runway in a mariachi outfit and reference Maria Felix cause that is her culture, while talking normally in and out of drag.

Do you seriously forget about Valentina's weird accent she got from Amazon on S9?!?

11 hours ago, kipperskipper said:

cannot get over that FUGLY wig anetra wore 

Looks like a helmet on her head :deadbanana2:

3 hours ago, Rep2000 said:

If she truly has a fake persona, queens like Raven or Raja or anyone else like Willam would have called it out, considering how they called out Valentina's.

Also, if Salina's not poc, neither is Mistress.

This doesn't male sense. Salina is their longtime friend. Valentina wasn't. There's clear bias for why they won't call out Salina for things everyone else sees. 

Salina is a POC, but she doesnt talk like that :rip: Not even real Cholas talk like that. 

The fact that was so bothered by a READ from Irene that she needed to quit social media for a bit just proves that. 

22 minutes ago, Communion said:

This doesn't male sense. Salina is their longtime friend. Valentina wasn't. There's clear bias for why they won't call out Salina for things everyone else sees. 

Then how about the rest of the queens on this season? Especially someone like Mistress who likes to clock Loosey for being "fake" the whole season? I trust them to know Salina more than someone like Irene who might as well attend the finale over a zoom call at this point.

5 hours ago, feelslikeadream said:

But she uses an accent OUT OF DRAG :deadbanana2: Watch the video in the tweet a few posts up.

The accent was not nearly that strong in the video up top. 

3 hours ago, Rep2000 said:

Do you seriously forget about Valentina's weird accent she got from Amazon on S9?!?

That’s… not an accent :rip: 

Sasha and Mistress being the top two runway queens is correct. :clap3:

Thanks @Bimbo for doing this. 

Mistress was the star of the reunion but she seems unnecessary bothered by Loosey. Lying about what Loosey said about Irene was malicious and nasty.  Also her pointed (false) shade at Loosey for ‘not speaking up about social media bullying’ when she’s been constantly punching down on her all season long… Like you can’t tear someone down all season and then expect that person to defend you once you get called out online :rip:

Salina getting clocked for her fake accent in the reunion :bibliahh:

Come to think of it Salina reminds me of Tina in terms of the reception they expected to get versus what they got, except Tina at least wasn't obnoxious about it and just took the L.

• ATRL Moderator
3 hours ago, loveisdead9582 said:

The accent was not nearly that strong in the video up top. 

That's the point; that's her natural voice. The one she uses on Drag Race is a fake accent :deadbanana:

1 hour ago, Life Savers said:

Come to think of it Salina reminds me of Tina in terms of the reception they expected to get versus what they got, except Tina at least wasn't obnoxious about it and just took the L.

What are you talking about? Valentina got an excellent reception, she was the most famous, followed queen of her season by far while it was airing :rip: 

8 minutes ago, Melquiades said:

What are you talking about? Valentina got an excellent reception, she was the most famous, followed queen of her season by far while it was airing :rip: 

I think they meant Tina Burner no?

38 minutes ago, Melquiades said:

I’m talking about Tina Burner. When has Valentina ever been referred to as Tina? :rip:

3 hours ago, Weld_E said:

Mistress was the star of the reunion but she seems unnecessary bothered by Loosey. Lying about what Loosey said about Irene was malicious and nasty.  Also her pointed (false) shade at Loosey for ‘not speaking up about social media bullying’ when she’s been constantly punching down on her all season long… Like you can’t tear someone down all season and then expect that person to defend you once you get called out online :rip:

this is a whole lotta assuming

no proof she lied.. no proof she was talking about Loosey when she was talking about bullying.. and it was already confirmed Loosey was punching back at Mistress. 

Mistress said she didn't lie and Loosey said she would never say it. So either one of them is doubling down on a lie or one of them is mistaken. Like maybe Loosey forgot she said that or maybe Mistress misheard something else she said or misremembered a comment or something. People do make legit mistakes sometimes. We will probably never know the truth of this one. 

5 minutes ago, Mikeymoonshine said:

Mistress said she didn't lie and Loosey said she would never say it. So either one of them is doubling down on a lie or one of them is mistaken. Like maybe Loosey forgot she said that or maybe Mistress misheard something else she said or misremembered a comment or something. People do make legit mistakes sometimes. We will probably never know the truth of this one. 

In my experience, people that say "I don't tell lies" are usually the BIGGEST liars so for that alone I'm going to believe Loosey. :skull:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.