RuPaul's Drag Race | All Stars 9 | Make Your Own Kind of Rusic (f/ legendary lipsync)

Unoriginal
ATRL Administration
Message added by ATRL Administration,

Reminder to *report* posts that violate rules, especially rules violating our Zero Tolerance Policy (e.g., racism, transphobia, etc.) and spoilers. We cannot adequately moderate this thread if reports are not filed. Click here for the rules. Thank you.

6 hours ago, G.U.Y. Gaga said:

Imagine being mad that a drag queen lipsyncs 

It's... a drag competition :rip:

It's not the show's fault she can't perform. 

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hephaestus

• Relampago.

• Rotunda

• Bimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to start regarding doing talent show lipsync numbers in the same way we do for doing former queens during Snatch Game or wearing a kimono during a Madonna runway. It's so tired and done to death. Being able to lipsync to a number isn't anything out the box, it's something you can see in any drag bar on a Tuesday night. I want to see what else you can do and what actually makes you stand out besides anything I can see from any standard bar queen. 

Lip syncs just don’t translate as well on television. I don’t think any of us annoyed at all the lip syncs in the last episode would be annoyed of lip syncs if we were at a drag show :rip:

I don’t see Loosey flopping. She seems experienced and I’m sure she’ll excel in comedy. 

Amethyst is first out material. I cannot believe they sent home Irene when she served one of the best looks of the night :rip: That should’ve been a save alone.

Anetra served and showed up! Absolutely loved it, so cool

It was a little cluttered but I think they mostly had the correct bottom 3, I would have wanted Irene to stay a bit more because she was a character, there were some others that really faded

Sugar and Spice make decent tv, which I think means they're worth their spot. Not sure why their runways are being praised, they really (both) did a disney runway on an opening signature runway?? really?

I am here for Mistress becoming friends with them though, love that storyline already

OF COURSE the girls here want to minimize lipsyncing as a talent when it just so happens to be something queens of color, and black queens in particular, usually excel at.

Being able to lipsync and captivate an audience IS a talent and just cause you can “see it in any bar on a Tuesday night” doesn’t mean any queen can do it well or even close to the same level. There’s an inherent and very visible difference in the years of experience,  stage knowledge, and natural ability in queens like Sasha, Anetra, Robin, Mistress, Salina, etc lipsyncing versus stiff stage walkers like Amethyst, Sugar, Spice or most of the bores from S14.

People who want lipsyncing at the talent show banned or treated as less than are the same as the no drag knowledge girls who want snatch game retired because they have such little understanding of the actual art of DRAG (not drag race) and what it was built on. GOOD lipsyncing is an art and on average only half the queens on any given cast can even do it well so hell no the few queens who can actually do it well should not be punished or disregarded because of it. 

Anetra, Jax, Robin = the shows I would want to go to first. I think Robin could’ve taken Marcia’s place but Mx3 did well too. 

Anetra especially killed that DEAD. 

Sasha disappointed considering some of her performances I’ve seen on YouTube. Re-interpreting a political song is a strange choice too. 

Irene deserved an auto-elimination based on that talent. 

Aura is a very handsome man but she needs to stop saying she’s the trade when Jax is right there :gaycat6:

4 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Aura is a very handsome man but she needs to stop saying she’s the trade when Jax is right there :gaycat6:

Jax is so fine :gaycat6:

• ATRL Moderator

Nobody is saying we should get rid of LSFYLs or good lip syncs in general :rip:. It's S15 of Drag Race, the expectation these days is that every single one of the girls here can lip sync.

We had 6 original lip syncs and 2 regular lip syncs that were awarded plain safety.  Only one regular lip sync even made it to the critique stage, since the three top girls all did something in addition to lip syncing (ballet/tae kwon do/cheerleading) and the bottom girls were live singing, comedy, and then the comedy lip sync.

I would love for Drag Race to encourage girls such as Anetra, Jax, Marcia x3, and Princess Poppy - the girls who brought a good lip sync as well as a gag and were able to showcase a talent in addition to lip syncing.

19 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

OF COURSE the girls here want to minimize lipsyncing as a talent when it just so happens to be something queens of color, and black queens in particular, usually excel at.

Being able to lipsync and captivate an audience IS a talent and just cause you can “see it in any bar on a Tuesday night” doesn’t mean any queen can do it well or even close to the same level. There’s an inherent and very visible difference in the years of experience,  stage knowledge, and natural ability in queens like Sasha, Anetra, Robin, Mistress, Salina, etc lipsyncing versus stiff stage walkers like Amethyst, Sugar, Spice or most of the bores from S14.

People who want lipsyncing at the talent show banned or treated as less than are the same as the no drag knowledge girls who want snatch game retired because they have such little understanding of the actual art of DRAG (not drag race) and what it was built on. GOOD lipsyncing is an art and on average only half the queens on any given cast can even do it well so hell no the few queens who can actually do it well should not be punished or disregarded because of it. 

Not you implying that people of certain races/ethnicities are inherently better lip syncers as if lip syncing abilities aren’t built on the drag backgrounds (or backgrounds in general) and years of experience in performing each queen has.

You can’t in good faith compare queens like Mistress/Malaysia/Sasha who have performed in clubs for years to queens like Sugar/Spice/Amethyst who are quite literally bedroom queens.

Yes, lip syncing is indeed a talent, but I’d rather see it put to use when they actually have to lip sync for their lives or have at least interesting twists in it rather than the mediocre stuff half of the cast served for this talent show.

This whole convo is why people say drag race is ruining drag lol 

I won’t be engaging in any nuanced conversations this season with anyone who regularly bashes black queens in this thread while coincidentally repping a white South African because it’s never in good faith on your end, the mods here have already shown exactly where they stand when it comes to this threads undeniable biases, and I see right through you so refrain from quoting me in the future. 

spacer.png

Thank you for posting this gif because the Detox comparisons were disrespectful. She could NEVER

spacer.png

What does my avi have to do with anything? Rich from someone who had Violet and Shangela as theirs in the past :skull:

But just as as I thought, no rebuttal. Positive stereotyping and benevolent prejudice are a thing, you know?

8 minutes ago, TheOnlyOne said:

I won’t be engaging in any nuanced conversations this season with anyone who regularly bashes black queens in this thread while coincidentally repping a white South African because it’s never in good faith on your end, the mods here have already shown exactly where they stand when it comes to this threads undeniable biases, and I see right through you so refrain from quoting me in the future. 

spacer.png

Bryce low key fearing for his life :bibliahh:

Doing lipsyncs at a talent show is becoming stale, the colour of the queen has nothing to do with it. 

It's been done to death.

When every single shit post today is using that Art Simone moment: :  rupaulsdragrace

Keep the lipsyncs, drop the 'original' songs :bird:

Someone on Twitter said Loosey is all three members of Stephanie's Child put together and now I can't unsee it :rip:

31 minutes ago, SitarHero said:

Thank you for posting this gif because the Detox comparisons were disrespectful. She could NEVER

spacer.png

spacer.png

The audacity of anyone to compare Detox who’s talent was essentially splashing in paint to Mother Anetra 

spacer.png

You Better Walk That F*cking Duck >>>>> Soup or Sonic

spacer.png

Anetra, the Mother of Talent Shows with her “stale” and “overdone” LIPSYNC talent

spacer.png

Meanwhile Detox’s greatest lipsync skill is giving her mouth a seizure or turning around to show a surgeon bought ass 

spacer.png

Mother Anetra soon to be winner of Season 15 I fear

spacer.png

At this point that user is just making a mockery of racism... but anyway the talent show was okay and the lipsyncs weren't as boring as usual even if they don't translate well on tv 

27c945a0f5bcca506cd14bda25c94c4a338a62cc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.