COVID-19 [Day 1600]

Genius1111

Just speaking for the United States, I'm just waiting until Fall and Winter when Congress doesn't provide funding and Long Covid and deaths spike again, which doesn't make me a doomer. Just someone that saw this song played once already - last summer specifically. 

Transitioning the country to once-a-year model starting this coming school year will be health department's toughest task in the States culture-wise, a problem no funding will alleviate, seeing as there's ~27 million people here that were never vaccinated originally. 

The just-approved Novavax was not tested against Omicron. Paxlovid supplies are still dangerously low. When those two factors change, call me. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Genius1111

• Espresso

• Jotham

• Cloröx

I think WHO is waiting for upcoming fall or winter before declaring the pandemic is over. In the meantime.......

I've seen a surge in cases in my state (In Mexico) and I'm not sure if we're dealing with a new wave or what :rip: 

I would really like to go on a truly long-haul destination in December this year and I see some good fare deals to Europe/Egypt/South America, but I really have little trust in countries outside of East Asia and the Middle East*** to handle outbreaks of COVID and possibly monkeypox. 

*** Based on the videos I see online and on TV, I see >95% of people living in East Asia and the Middle East wearing masks indoors and >80% outdoors, so I feel somewhat assured. 

Edited by Genius1111

Covid-19 hasn’t disappeared as much as our patience for precautions has,” said one public health expert.

200+ deaths in Taiwan in a day is equivalent to 3000+ deaths in the US, and 13000+ in India/China

If I am not wrong, positivity rates are at about 80%, so the real number of cases is many times higher.

Americans keep getting reinfected with COVID-19 as new variants emerge, data shows - ABC News (go.com)

“When he told me that I was positive for COVID-19 again, I thought, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me,’” McDonnell said. “I thought you know six months, I'm good. I don't need to wear a mask. We were at like a whole bunch of sporting events… at parties without masks, no social distancing — nothing — we thought we had time.”

Now, three weeks after testing positive, McDonnell said that she still does not feel like herself, with this second round of COVID-19 feeling “way worse” than the first.

---

In New Jersey, unvaccinated people were 1.7 times more likely to become reinfected than vaccinated people, and 7.3 times more likely to become reinfected than vaccinated and boosted people.

Do other countries have similar audits? I see that Indonesia and the Philippines are reporting mere hundreds of cases a day and single-digit deaths. If they test as the same rate as the UAE, I wonder what the real numbers are like.

Edited by Genius1111

The UAE had only 2 deaths in the past 3 months I think. Worryingly though, case counts are now at four digits again, so we shall see.

Macau still has under 180 cases, even after including imported cases. :clap3:

I kind of miss seeing Headlock coming into the thread to clock some of the other members.

Cambodia officially becomes 'Covid-Free' | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

A total of 94% of the Cambodian population has received at least 1 dose of the vaccine, 89% have received 2 shots, 58% have received 3 shots and 16% have had 4 shots. Most of these vaccines are China’s Sinovac and Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccines.

Starting June 9, the country will offer a 5th shot to high-risk groups.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.