2024 US Election Megathread ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ›๏ธ

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore.ย 
ย 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone.ย 

20 minutes ago, Blade said:

"ArabCon" :deadbanana2:

No wonder I've seen a ton of comments from Arab American leftists (both ones that are voting Harris and voting Stein) say they wish Steins pandering for the Arab American vote wasn't so blatant. I think the lowest low was trying to get a Palestinian American running mate but it falling through when said potential running mate agreed on the condition that Stein drop out if the Biden admin ย does an arms embargo which of course Jilly refused.

Sis, feel how you want, but this recollection is just inaccurate. Stein had 3 Palestinian-American names on a shortlist.

ย 

Noura is who you're referencing and who has no issue with Stein. Stein also had 2 others on her shortlist, but then met with Butch Ware after seeing a speech he did that was going viral on TikTok and offered him the spot. Her 2 other options, both Palestinian Americans, spoke at the VP announcement.

ย 

Noura + the campaign disagreed on whether that Democrats can be trusted to commit to an actual arms embargo if pressure is relieved before votes are cast + there's no actual way to drop out of the race. The actual strategy is that Greens will stay in and force Dems to actually enact an arms embargo before votes are counted if they actually want to neutralize the threat they as a party can do in siphoning votes.

ย 

If Dems do not commit to an arms embargo by election day, it's fair to believe Democrats believe they don't need Arab Americans in order to win. And maybe they're right!

ย 

Feels like some of you are not realizing Stein is visiting ArabCon because she's invited by the national Arab American orgs endorsing her, with speakers from the Arab American community of the Dem Party attending largely getting push back from the crowd. It feels like wishcasting that there is less anti-Dem resentment than there is in reality:

ย 

I get not being swayed or disillusioned enough to feel compelled to vote for Greens over Dems, let alone being able to understand why others would, but it also feels irresponsible to not acknowledge something is happening on the ground in Michigan that Dems have to reconcile with at some point:

GXeZTSWa4AA5Ktu?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 48k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

16 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Why would she drop out of the race? She's still against the Democrats even if they do agree on an arms embargoโ€ฆ

Because that's how you use political leverage to accomplish your goals

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

Why would she drop out of the race? She's still against the Democrats even if they do agree on an arms embargoโ€ฆ

She's running her campaign almost exclusively on Kamala being a genocidal maniac. Regardless of how any of us feel about the Green party, in *2024* it's clear that their support is bolstered by a singular issue. That is not a bad thing, just the state of the Stein campaign. Similarly many more people will vote for Kamala simply because they hate Trump. A single issue. If the Biden admin somehow supported an arms embargo (which was already unlikely) then voters who are only voting Green because of US-Israel policy would not have a reason to vote Green. Of course she would still be "against Democrats" but she can't have her cake and eat it too. She wanted a Palestinian running mate but that potential running mate wanted something substantial when it comes to a change in Israel-US foreign policy.ย 
ย 

If this was any other year than 2024, I would also think it's ridiculous for a running mate to ask a 3rd party to drop out if Dems had a progressive win on one issue. But it's not just one issue it's THE issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Exactly, but Stein is an egomaniac who cares about herself first and foremost.

ย 

Miss Mackle has sacrificed more over the past year for the Arab community than Stein has in her life.

ย 

ย ย 

Just now, Save-Me-Oprah said:

twink????????

ย 

spacer.png

xdfjhdskjhssdhkdfjhs I FORGOT THERE WAS AN AGE LIMIT.

Edited by Sannie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Remember when Republicans promised that they 100% would pass both parts of Biden's agenda when splitting them up into 2 policy packages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildAmerican said:

ย 

Any Tulsi fans need to be on a list somewhereย :rip:

Poor @rihannabiggestfanย is gonna get shipped to Guantanamo Bay if the CIA is listening to you ย :jonny:

Every Trump assassination attempt keeps being averted. Damn it. All we need is one good shot.ย :jonny5:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

ย 

Not him laying the plan for WWIII out in detail including who would be singing the tribute song after it's all over, the lyrics, and the arrangement.ย ย :gaycat7:

ย 

ย 

• Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Communion said:

Remember when Republicans promised that they 100% would pass both parts of Biden's agenda when splitting them up into 2 policy packages.

Shitlibs are incredibly gullible and obsessed with civility politics, idk what that has to do with an agreement to an arms embargo as a major policy concession when the alternative would be legitimate and deserved harm to your electoral chances

Something smells fishy and its not Trumps diaper. They need to get to the bottom of this because setting up fake assassination attempts should be a crime.ย :giraffe:

Edited by Onyxmage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, BeenTheShit said:

Oh that's not...ย :redface:

ย 

BINGOย 

ย 

but it doenst look like this one worked out for em ๐Ÿ’€

Edited by GhostBox

Does anyone know if any election nerd has ever discussed the ramifications of covid deaths on the electorate's demographics?

ย 

Numbers have US deaths at 1.2M. I'm not sure how many of these deaths were after November 2020 but I'd assume it's well over half since the worst of deaths were in late 2020/2021?

ย 

Not to mention excess deaths.

ย 

15 minutes ago, Redstreak said:

Shitlibs are incredibly gullible and obsessed with civility politics, idk what that has to do with an agreement to an arms embargo as a major policy concession when the alternative would be legitimate and deserved harm to your electoral chances

It has to do with the fact that the phrase "power concedes nothing without a demand" requires an actual, material concession.ย 

ย 

A promise of a concession is not a concession. See: Dems did not get one-over on Republicans by splitting the policy package on the word of a promise. They simply.. lost half of their agenda and watch it go up in smoke.ย 

ย 

Democrats already have the power to to end America's involvement in the genocide. Joe Biden is literally president right now.

ย 

Arguing that the Green Party should offer to drop out to get Harris to promise to do an arms embargo in 4 months time andย if she wins is... silly. And this isn't unique to the Green Party / those concerned about genocide. Harris' inability to commit to a policy and appear authentic has led to voters across the spectrum to air the main criticism of her right now: "If she supports all of these things, why didn't it happen under Biden-Harris for four years?". A valid question she has to somehow address.

ย 

Harris could simply call for an arms embargo now. Biden could literally enact an arms embargo right now. Either of these acts would render Stein politically irrelevant.

ย 

People also seem to misunderstand Noura's strategy. She is still actively joining in on calls for people to not vote for Harris *still* unless she enacts a permanent ceasefire:

ย 

ย 

Edited by Communion

4 minutes ago, Blade said:

Does anyone know if any election nerd has ever discussed the ramifications of covid deaths on the electorate's demographics?

ย 

Numbers have US deaths at 1.2M. I'm not sure how many of these deaths were after November 2020 but I'd assume it's well over half since the worst of deaths were in late 2020/2021?

ย 

Not to mention excess deaths.

ย 

I remember reading something about this and how a lot of the ones who died were republicans ๐Ÿ’€ I wish I could remember which article it was.ย 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.