2024 US Election Megathread 🇺🇸🏛️

khalyan
Lee!!
Message added by Lee!!,

It was decided based on feedback from the spring 2023 town hall to transition this thread back to being election specific. With the Civics section being able to house specific threads on many issues, we think having a generalized politics thread is not completely necessarily anymore. 

With that said, please continue to be respectful and remember that you do not always need to respond to everyone. 

1 minute ago, family.guy123 said:

I think it's just another way to say vote for Biden 

I understand the intention, but the delivery is tone deaf and condescending. A voter shouldn't have to vote for a presidential candidate to "have their back". A voter should be convinced to vote for a presidential candidate because they believe that candidate will do the job well.

I know it's just a throwaway tweet, but my larger point is that this entire brand of messaging is just so woefully ineffective against anyone who's not already firmly in the pro-Biden camp. An undecided voter in suburban Wisconsin isn't going to be convinced to vote for Biden because "we owe him one!" 

• Like 5

• Replies 25.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• GhostBox

• ClashAndBurn

• Communion

Top Posters In This Topic

There would be so many paths out of this mess if Biden would just vigorously defend himself and his record, but the fact that he can't is all the more telling, I'm afraid :skull: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still think it's more likely Biden stays in than drops (55% vs 45%) but I'm not taking anyone says whether it's Biden, Harris, Whitmer, or Newsom at face value. No matter what is going on on the inside, they're going to act like Biden is in the race until if he officially isn't. 

I'm perched for more House dems coming against him though. If 25 Dems really come out against him staying and maybe a couple senators that would be interesting

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Espresso said:

Biden should listen to Black women (i.e., the minority centrist Dems love to tout nonstop to shut down policy conversations).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

We don't know if a replacement will beat Trump, but Biden can't really expand his coalition at all. He can't even communicate atp, and wouldn't you rather take the risk of a new candidate than continue on Biden's sinking ship? 

i mean Biden is gonna hold on to that reelection over his bare hands so he's not going anywhere unfortunately 

I mean in terms of candidates to replace I don't even know where to start or how that process would look like and they would have to do it in like 30 days or less

1 hour ago, shelven said:

Tweets like this are so emblematic of why so many Dem elected officials are so out of touch with the electorate (and, as a side note, also why Newsom would be a horrendous general election candidate and maybe the only person the Dems could put forward who Biden would outperform). 

Like... what the hell does "now it's time for us to have Biden's back" even mean? Do these people know that he's the president of one of the world's most influential countries and isn't our bestie who we have to comfort and support as he goes through a personal tough time? :deadbanana4: It's not the electorate's job to do the president a solid and cheer him up when he's feeling down, it's their job to pick a competent leader for their country :deadbanana4:

1 hour ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Same thing applies to Whitmer, who is the one everyone here has been hyping as the next best bet

Because the DNC has exchanged career promises and/or made threats to anyone that goes against their will.

Reminiscent of Buttegieg and Klobuchar dropping out the day before Super Tuesday in 2020 to clear the way for Biden's candidacy.

Whitmer and Newsome are next in line if they just shut up and do as they're told.

• Like 1

Is this picture from the interview? Because he looks younger than he did last week 💀 maybe it's just the fake tan 

Edited by GhostBox

When someone doesn't know the heavy lifting that editing does for thumbnails :skull:

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Is this picture form the interview? Because he looks younger than he did last week 💀 maybe it's just the fake tan 

you are not well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

I guess the Dems think protecting Biden's ego is more important than saving Democracy. The only upside to Trump winning is the DNC and their whole mindset about politics will go out the window and we might be able to have a more healthy discourse. 

People said this in 2016 but it wasn't true then and it won't be true here either. Biden will lose this election, the DNC and mainstream dems will learn absolutely nothing, they will blame Biden's loss on everyone who criticized him and said he should step down, and then they will force another weak centrist through the primary in 2028. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Neither Hillary or Trump were incumbents. That completely changes the race.

• Thanks 1

Kamala videos keep showing up on my Twitter feed and I think one underappreciated benefit of replacing Biden with her is how objectively hilarious it would be that she'd have a decent shot at becoming president. Like I'm sorry but there's just no remotely sane world in which this woman should be in striking distance of winning a presidential election, yet under these incredibly specific and unprecedented circumstances, she might somehow do it :dies:

• Like 2

The conspiracy theories on twitter by certain users claiming that Biden was targeted by a Russian brain laser, poisoned, and that his microphone feed was edited during the debate  :deadbanana2:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bunnyeyes said:

The conspiracy theories on twitter by certain users claiming that Biden was targeted by a Russian brain laser, poisoned, and that his microphone feed was edited during the debate  :deadbanana2:

Sounds like something that Chris Evans guy would say

It really isn't about Biden it's about not wanting Trump to win and him being a weak candidate in all fronts :(  he has mishandled every major crisis this past year  :gaycat7:trump is a serial predator and needs to be stopped but even moderate republicans just don't care 

Edited by bunnyeyes

1 hour ago, Noah said:

People said this in 2016 but it wasn't true then and it won't be true here either. Biden will lose this election, the DNC and mainstream dems will learn absolutely nothing, they will blame Biden's loss on everyone who criticized him and said he should step down, and then they will force another weak centrist through the primary in 2028. 

The difference is Dems more or less rallied behind Hillary in 2016, and Trumps win was an upset. Half of rank and file Democrats want Biden to step down and make way for another candidate. This could absolutely turn everyday Dems against party leadership. 

Even if Trump loses in 2024, the US will be screwed in 2028. Project 2025 is not a specific Trump policy, it was going to be implemented by any Republican nominee. Project 2025 would become Project 2029. It is becoming very clear that the only way to stop the end of democracy is by expanding the Supreme Court. Something Biden has no interest in. Just adding 4 centrist judges would change everything

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.